Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

Qualification for Champions' League & Europa League

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

For the 8th millionth time Wolves play a completely different style to us. We will never be Wolves so a pointless comparison really. Why do people keep raising this 

Where we want to be? Thursday night games, Sunday games, long travels and a prize pot less than the FA Cup. Not for me. We should aim to  compete for the Champions league spots, especially if at Christmas you are 14 points clear.

Europa needs serious investment and a bigger squad for a club playing our style. Look at the performance levels of the players, look at the injuries and tgats with a 3 month break.

Its unwanted the club now needs to spend big.

Thursday and Sunday? So what? No different to Wednesday and Saturday for the players. It's an adjustment the club and players will need to make and if the players aren't serious about competing in Europe (which doesn't come round regularly for us) then I'd rather they not be here. 

Whether it was Europa or CL, our club needed investment in to it anyway. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My point was focused how on does Europa League make it more likely to be relegated? In reality shouldn’t the question be how does European football make it more likely to be relegated? 

There’s no difference in the travel and the resting periods in either competition. There is literally only two more games which would be played in 2021 rather than this year. 

If anything the lesser opposition means you’ll have more opportunity to rotate players. 

In 2016/17, we went through the Champions League and did well with a favourable group. At the same time, the players couldn’t cope with the congested nature of the schedule. This led us to the edge of the relegation zone. 

It’s the same challenge if it’s Champions League or Europa League. The Europa League makes it no more likely. 

Neither is great if you dont make the correct investment in your squad. It's more likely you have more money from Champions  League to reinvest. Europa Lesgue you need to do it from your own back or play a more European style like Wolves.

25 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Arsenal and Tottenham are apparently desperate to get in the Europa League because of the money, as they feel that’s it’s worth around £30-40m to them. The UK broadcasting rights are fairly lucrative.

Its not to be sniffed at.

30-40 million nearly buys 1 decent player. Champions league you are talking 100s of millions. That's the difference.

If the owners want us to compete in both the they need to empty their pockets out.

27 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Arsenal and Tottenham are apparently desperate to get in the Europa League because of the money, as they feel that’s it’s worth around £30-40m to them. The UK broadcasting rights are fairly lucrative.

Its not to be sniffed at.

Agreed. 

A club of our stature should take the competition seriously. Not wash it off as some kind of inconvenience and I hope that any fans that treat it as such are in the minority! 

• Like 3

Just now, Foxin_Mad said:

Neither is great if you dont make the correct investment in your squad. It's more likely you have more money from Champions  League to reinvest. Europa Lesgue you need to do it from your own back or play a more European style like Wolves.

30-40 million nearly buys 1 decent player. Champions league you are talking 100s of millions. That's the difference.

If the owners want us to compete in both the they need to empty their pockets out.

Every time we decide to spend more than £10 million on a player they end up being utter dog crap.

7 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

For the 8th millionth time Wolves play a completely different style to us. We will never be Wolves so a pointless comparison really. Why do people keep raising this 

Where we want to be? Thursday night games, Sunday games, long travels and a prize pot less than the FA Cup. Not for me. We should aim to  compete for the Champions league spots, especially if at Christmas you are 14 points clear.

Europa needs serious investment and a bigger squad for a club playing our style. Look at the performance levels of the players, look at the injuries and tgats with a 3 month break.

I'm not comparing our playing style to Wolves, no one has. I'm comparing our size, funds, squad size and capability. 

Yes losing out in the champs league is unfortunate and to be fair a disaster but to compete in Europe is huge for a club like us. It's another part of the stepping stone. If you take out 2016 as let's be hobest it was a freak season. Our clubs business model is unbelievable and we are on a upwards curve without breaking the bank.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Thursday and Sunday? So what? No different to Wednesday and Saturday for the players. It's an adjustment the club and players will need to make and if the players aren't serious about competing in Europe (which doesn't come round regularly for us) then I'd rather they not be here. 

Whether it was Europa or CL, our club needed investment in to it anyway. 

2 awful days for football matches as fans IMO. Football should be Saturday.

The longet travels are a problem no matter what day.

The facts remain we need to be spending over 100 million this summer on quality additions else we are going to have big problems. This team could not cope fitness and energy wise with a full english season, so you chuck Europe into the mix we might struggle for a win after October.

It wont end well unless we open the cheque book big non ffp style.

Edited by Foxin_Mad

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Here's an idea. Invest a lot in the squad, take the Europa League seriously and win it. Qualify for CL that way. 

:knockyhat:

When I said that I seemed to cop a few negatives ...  I’m resigned to the Europa now and am pleased we are in something ...  away to Real Madrid or away to Locomotive Azabyjan ..   all the same to me ...  and the latter one we might win !!      :scarf:

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The facts remain we need to be spending over 100 million this summer on quality additions else we are going to have big problems. This team could not cope fitness and energy wise with a full english season, so you chuck Europe into the mix we might struggle for a win after October.

No League cup to worry about which we play 6 games in, Euro League group stage is 6 games.

my first ever game as a Leicester fan was the Blackburn Play Off Final.  My dad then used to take me once of twice a year to Filbert Street as a young lad.  It took 14 years for me to see us win in a live game of football!  This always sits in my psyche.  I expect us to cock it all up somehow.  So, actually, I'm happy with 5th.  I've been saying since Christmas that Champions League would be a dream scenario and looking at our run-in, I didn't feel confident. 

It's great to be in Europe. It continues our journey.  

Of course, we all wanted Top 4.  but we simply don't have a Top 4 squad.  We possibly have a Top 4 starting 11. When everyone is on song. 

So be happy with the progress.  Look forward to some European away nights. make the King Power rock when teams come to play us.

It's never easy being a Leicester fan and I for one, wouldn't change it for the world. 

4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I'm not comparing our playing style to Wolves, no one has. I'm comparing our size, funds, squad size and capability. 

Yes losing out in the champs league is unfortunate and to be fair a disaster but to compete in Europe is huge for a club like us. It's another part of the stepping stone. If you take out 2016 as let's be hobest it was a freak season. Our clubs business model is unbelievable and we are on a upwards curve without breaking the bank.

This is the point the Wolves can do more for less because of their playing style.

Our strengths are high press, fast movement and high energy passing. Maybe we have the wrong manager for our size. 

I feel this halts the upward curve, we need to be very careful not to have a very bad Premier League season next year now which could undo 5/6 years of good work in one sweep. The only way to do this now is serious investment. The extra games are a problem. Vardy is nearing his career end, our wingers have little quality, we have little creativity in the squad. Big changes needed.

9 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

2 awful days for football matches as fans IMO. Football should be Saturday.

The longet travels are a problem no matter what day.

It wont end well unless we open the cheque book big non ffp style.

Okay but who is disagreeing with needing to spend? 

Your gripe seems to be just the EL. A club like ours should be relishing the opportunity to play in Europe again. Not dismissing it as an inconvenience and that's where the disagreement is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

This is the point the Wolves can do more for less because of their playing style.

Our strengths are high press, fast movement and high energy passing. Maybe we have the wrong manager for our size. 

I feel this halts the upward curve, we need to be very careful not to have a very bad Premier League season next year now which could undo 5/6 years of good work in one sweep. The only way to do this now is serious investment. The extra games are a problem. Vardy is nearing his career end, our wingers have little quality, we have little creativity in the squad. Big changes needed.

Big changes are not needed. Tweaks are needed. A few players to add a bit of quality is what we need. The target won't be to win the EL it will be to compete along with domestic comps. Spend wisely on our forwards. The defence is fine when all fit and our CM is fine. We don't need to be spending 150 mill plus either. Just got to build slowly and get the squad together. Sell no one from our first team squad and add a few to add depth. 

19 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

No, I cant accept this. Yes, we have had a shit second half of the season but that is because we have a squad which is mid-table at best. Our first team, with the exception of right wing, is still in my opinion top 6-top 8. Going from mid table to champions league is a humongous step. 

I will say it again, we are privileged to be part of the Europa League. We need to add to the squad, yes, without doubt. We probably have a bigger budget then many of the other much much bigger clubs then us in this competition. Just because of the TV revenue from the premier league. 

Look, as a club, we do not have a rich history. Our squad, apart from Evans have no right to turn up their nose at this tournament or opportunity. We need to look at clubs like Seville and Napoli as our next benchmark. 

If I am being honest, if someone tomorrow told me that for the next 5 years, Leicester will miss out on the Champions League but through league placing qualify each year in the Europa, I would snap their hand off. Come on, this is great progress for us as a club. And yes it hurts that we let a great lead go but progress doesnt come without bumps and barriers. Each season, we must get stronger. Europa and the opportunity in presents both on and off the field does that for us. I want Leicester City to be a known European name. I want us to become a cup team capable of adding trophies to the bare cabinet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

100's of millions? We earned somewhere between £70M and £100M last time we was in the Champions League, depending on how you break it down.

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

While it seems unlikely we get anything from the Man U. game, what happens if we end up tied in both points and GD?  Does it revert to goals scored or head-to-head?

Goals scored then head to head then away goals if head to head level, if that level we play them again in 1 final game

Edited by lcfcfoz

12 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

While it seems unlikely we get anything from the Man U. game, what happens if we end up tied in both points and GD?  Does it revert to goals scored or head-to-head?

It might not matter if Chelsea fail to win a game! It'll be the difference between 3rd and 4th! But above has answered.

Edited by KrefelderFox666

There’s no reason why we can’t challenge on both fronts next season at all. We just need to strengthen wisely to boost the squad. It’s a young squad but it’s still done very well considering the ageing group we had a couple of years ago. Just look at how badly the supposed big 6 fluctuate. Admittedly they look stronger now but there’s still no reason we can’t compete.

If we can maintain a cup/league consistency it would keep the club going long enough until our new training ground starts producing better talent.

We ought to be modelling our business style like Chelsea where we can sell reasonable young talent across Europe for £5-10 million a pop. This will give us the self sufficiency to become a stronger force and European football could become more regular. 

I would love the CL as it would be great to have competitive games with the best teams in the world on the best stage. That being said we’ve barely played in Europe at any level for a sustained period. If going to the Europa League means earning less moment but more games and stories. Bugger it, it’ll still be awesome memories. 

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

1 hour ago, lcfcfoz said:

Goals scored then head to head then away goals if head to head level, if that level we play them again in 1 final game

I think if ManU beat West Ham 5-3 and we beat ManU 1-0 then there's a one off game.

File these scenarios under "unlikely".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lcfcfoz said:

Well, let’s say Man U wins by 2 but scores less than 4 goals. By my reckoning that means we’d have the edge on them on goals scored if we beat them by a goal on Sunday - which would leave us tied in GD.

If you set aside the fact that us beating them looks extremely unlikely in the first place, that’s not an outlandish scenario.  It’d be nice to have our fate in our own hands, anyway.

• Like 1