Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

Qualification for Champions' League & Europa League

I know Chelsea are playing well as todays game goes, but they could potentially lose t both Europa League chasing Wolves and Liverpool. As unlikely as this is, there still is a scenario where a draw on the final match day will be enough too.

Staying positive LOL 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

When you look at the teams to qualify for next years Europa League competition it’s got to get you excited.

Serie A:

Roma

Napoli/Milan

La Liga

Villareal

Real Sociedad

Bundesliga 

Bayer Leverkusen 

Hoffeinheim

Ligue 1

Lille

not to mention the teams that will drop out of the champions league group stages. Let’s go for this tournament next year! 

Positivity is not allowed on foxestalk. Instant ban! Hehe.

At the end of the day, we are going into the last game of the season in full control our own destiny.

We really have to look at the positives, imagine if you were given the chance at the start of the season to play Man Utd at home for a place in the Champions League. You would have taken that surely.

a season is 38 games, not 5, not 10, not 15. 38.
Below Liverpool and Man City everyone has had exceptional runs of form and really poor runs of form.

We will Ultimately finish were we deserve to finish be that 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Our form was good at the start of the year, poor since new year. I’d also say there hasn’t been a game since the new year where we have been able to put out a full strength side. Injuries to Vardy, Ndidi, Ricardo, Chilwell, Madison...

We simply don’t have the pulling power at this stage to afford us strength in depth. Who wants to come to a mid table team and sit on the bench? 
Let’s celebrate and be grateful for what we have and if we get more let’s celebrate.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

When you look at the teams to qualify for next years Europa League competition it’s got to get you excited.

Serie A:

Roma

Napoli/Milan

La Liga

Villareal

Real Sociedad

Bundesliga 

Bayer Leverkusen 

Hoffeinheim

Ligue 1

Lille

not to mention the teams that will drop out of the champions league group stages. Let’s go for this tournament next year! 

Absolutely - some fantastic clubs/cities in this tournament, and the further we go in it, the more likely there might be crowds/visiting supporters by the end of it.

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Why does Europa League differ from Champions League in this regard? 

Money. We can afford to buy more new players in CL. In EL not much money, few new players, using this squad, more games and travel equals more problems than this year where we have won what 4 since Christmas and have 3 first teamers long term injured. 

Europa League is a huge unwanted problem. We need to spend a hundred odd million to have the squad to compete in this and the premier league.

Edited by Foxin_Mad

5 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

At the end of the day, we are going into the last game of the season in full control our own destiny.

We really have to look at the positives, imagine if you were given the chance at the start of the season to play Man Utd at home for a place in the Champions League. You would have taken that surely.

a season is 38 games, not 5, not 10, not 15. 38.
Below Liverpool and Man City everyone has had exceptional runs of form and really poor runs of form.

We will Ultimately finish were we deserve to finish be that 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Our form was good at the start of the year, poor since new year. I’d also say there hasn’t been a game since the new year where we have been able to put out a full strength side. Injuries to Vardy, Ndidi, Ricardo, Chilwell, Madison...

We simply don’t have the pulling power at this stage to afford us strength in depth. Who wants to come to a mid table team and sit on the bench? 
Let’s celebrate and be grateful for what we have and if we get more let’s celebrate.

Absolutely agree with majority of this but if United batter west ham then we'd need to hammer United..... 

Our goal difference has been smashed these last two away trips as that was a real safety net before.

Beating United is totally doable, winning by 2 or 3 not so

14 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Money. We can afford to buy more new players in CL. In EL not much money, few new players, using this squad, more games and travel equals more problems than this year where we have won what 4 since Christmas and have 3 first teamers long term injured. 

Europa League is a huge unwanted problem. We need to spend a hundred odd million to have the squad to compete in this and the premier league.

I don’t agree. We’ll need to strengthen for sure, but that needed to happen anyway.

Unlike the Champions League you can get away with playing some fringe players against certain teams in the Europa League and get away with it. You can’t do that in the Champions League nor the Premier League.

In the Europa League group stage, again, depending on the draw, you’ll no doubt see some players like Vardy not travelling to the odd away match if we feel confident of the win.

8 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

My point was focused how on does Europa League make it more likely to be relegated? In reality shouldn’t the question be how does European football make it more likely to be relegated? 

There’s no difference in the travel and the resting periods in either competition. There is literally only two more games which would be played in 2021 rather than this year. 

If anything the lesser opposition means you’ll have more opportunity to rotate players. 

In 2016/17, we went through the Champions League and did well with a favourable group. At the same time, the players couldn’t cope with the congested nature of the schedule. This led us to the edge of the relegation zone. 

It’s the same challenge if it’s Champions League or Europa League. The Europa League makes it no more likely. 

10 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I just looked in to this and the prize money for Europa League is tiny. I thought it was big and CL money was bigger obviously. 

Winners of EL only get 8.5m Euros prize money. 

Qualifying for the group stage results in a 2.95m Euros sum. 

(by comparison, qualifying for CL group stage is 15.25m Euros; winning it is 19m euros. 

Of course there is also TV money and sponsorships that come with it which is probably the huge chunk of money received for playing in the tournament. The further you go, the more money you get. 

Juve runners up in 2014/15 earned 89.1m Euros in total. 30.9m of that was prize money; the rest was TV money. 

Barcelona as winners, got 61m of which 36.4m was prize money. It also takes in to account how it's distributed across other clubs in the same nation (a market pool). 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I just looked in to this and the prize money for Europa League is tiny. I thought it was big and CL money was bigger obviously. 

Winners of EL only get 8.5m Euros prize money. 

Qualifying for the group stage results in a 2.95m Euros sum. 

(by comparison, qualifying for CL group stage is 15.25m Euros; winning it is 19m euros. 

Of course there is also TV money and sponsorships that come with it which is probably the huge chunk of money received for playing in the tournament. The further you go, the more money you get. 

Juve runners up in 2014/15 earned 89.1m Euros in total. 30.9m of that was prize money; the rest was TV money. 

Barcelona as winners, got 61m of which 36.4m was prize money. It also takes in to account how it's distributed across other clubs in the same nation (a market pool). 

Arsenal and Tottenham are apparently desperate to get in the Europa League because of the money, as they feel that’s it’s worth around £30-40m to them. The UK broadcasting rights are fairly lucrative.

Its not to be sniffed at.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Stop talking like we are one of the big boys! That's absolutely ridiculous to say a club like Leicester would see the Europa league as a unwanted problem! 

Look at Wolves not Liverpool or Man City. Their squad isn't massive and have had a good crack at every comp they have entered and that's exactly what we should be doing! 

• Like 1

I think if the club as a whole are up for the challenge of succeeding (even relatively) in Europe as opposed to just being there to make up the numbers, then we have to improve on the squad. To be honest, I'm hoping Brendan and whoever else in the hierarchy can see that with how we've fizzled out towards the end of this season with total lack of squad depth. We were all crying out for improvements long before this season anyway. 

I do hope they have some decent targets lined up to strengthen the squad, even if it is for backup or squad players. I'd like to think with how well the club is run from the top that we won't splash out money like there's no tomorrow but that we'll be wise with it. But improvements are strongly needed if we're going to seriously compete in League, Europe and FA Cup next season. Might be stating the obvious! 

21 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Absolutely agree with majority of this but if United batter west ham then we'd need to hammer United..... 

Our goal difference has been smashed these last two away trips as that was a real safety net before.

Beating United is totally doable, winning by 2 or 3 not so

That’s okay, at least going into the game we will know exactly what we have to do.

Yeah, this Europa League being a problem is not going to wash with me. We haven't done very well in the tournament on the few occasions we have qualified. We are privileged to be a part of it. Seville have effectively enhanced their reputation as a result of the competition.

We need to approach the tournament with a clear aim to win it. Where we get to is another question but that should be our aim. This clubs trophy cabinet is far too bare for it to be considered a big or biggish club. 

Wolves have handled the tournament and the league very well. I would take Top 6 and the final stages of the tournament next year without doubt. 

15 hours ago, shailen said:

We have a chance no matter what result United get against West Ham. Realistically we're going to need to beat them so at least we know what our game plan will be, whereas they might be stuck in two minds between going for the win or playing for the draw. It's not over. Believe. 

This might actually help us, all the pressure is now on Man U and everyone has written us off. 

20 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Stop talking like we are one of the big boys! That's absolutely ridiculous to say a club like Leicester would see the Europa league as a unwanted problem! 

Look at Wolves not Liverpool or Man City. Their squad isn't massive and have had a good crack at every comp they have entered and that's exactly what we should be doing! 

For the 8th millionth time Wolves play a completely different style to us. We will never be Wolves so a pointless comparison really. Why do people keep raising this 

17 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Do Wolves have a far better squad than us? 
How any Leicester fan can say the Europa League is a huge unwanted problem is beyond me. Surely this is where as a club we should aim to be?

Where we want to be? Thursday night games, Sunday games, long travels and a prize pot less than the FA Cup. Not for me. We should aim to  compete for the Champions league spots, especially if at Christmas you are 14 points clear.

Europa needs serious investment and a bigger squad for a club playing our style. Look at the performance levels of the players, look at the injuries and tgats with a 3 month break.

Its unwanted the club now needs to spend big.

Edited by Foxin_Mad

I'm not disappointed that we look likely to be in the Europa League from a footballing perspective. I think it's a great step forward from last year when the season is viewed as a whole and a 5th place finish means we've edged out two of the 'Top 6' and comfortably been the best of the rest. It's also a competition we have a realistic shot of going quite a long way it and an outside chance of winning. Plus there is the fact that any European football makes us more attractive to potential recruits than just domestic football. As a fan, if we are allowed to go to the games, it will still be packed with some exciting evening games at the KP and some great European away day locations too.

The main disappointment for me is the fact that the revenue for the club from playing in Europe will be reduced. The financial benefits of the Champions League would have been huge for a club like ours. As others have the said the prize money for Europa League is not insignificant but we were so close to making the Champions League. Ultimately, if we do finish 5th, it's probably roughly where this squad's ability level is at the moment and a great level for our club to be playing at. I'm still very pleased with what we've achieved this year and the growth as a club is apparent. It's just the extra financial security and revenue Champions League would have provided.

1 hour ago, Ollie93 said:

If we get Europa League, we will be in a relegation battle next year, unless we make some serious signings.

Wolves managed just fine.

• Like 1