Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

It's hard to say no when you love the club as much as Gerrard does but I'm always wary of club legends returning. The potential to ruiin your reputation is there which is why some ex players, especially legendary players, keep well clear.

Mind you, a lot of Liverpool's dominance come through the assistant manager taking over from the manager. Paisley is probably their greatest ever manager and he was assistant to Shankly. A bit different to an ex player coming in though.

13 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Gerrard should be wary of taking the Liverpool job too quickly and possibly ending up like Lampard. Given his legendary status, he’s always going to get a pop at the managers job.

Personally think he’s far better off just building up his experience and knowledge with Rangers and possibly another club before he considers Liverpool.

Look at Rodgers, admittedly minus the Liverpool icon connection, Liverpool was his first "Big" job and the way it ended damaged his reputation for a while.  As you said look at Lampard too. 

Another Prem job or abroad would be a good stepping stone. The Monchgladbach job for instance with some decent young players he can expand on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Just had a thought of Mourinho's next job being England. How naff would that be?

He's always said that he wants to either manage England or Portugal someday so I could see it happening. At least Mourinho is a top level manager rather than a championship standard one. I think (depending on certain factors, language etc) I would throw stupid money to get Del Bosque out of retirement to lead England through Qatar and then reevaluate. Long term I think the perfect choice for England would be Antonio Conte, he's got international football pedigree and most importantly I feel Englands best formation would be 343 looking at the players available.

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Look at Rodgers, admittedly minus the Liverpool icon connection, Liverpool was his first "Big" job and the way it ended damaged his reputation for a while.  As you said look at Lampard too. 

Another Prem job or abroad would be a good stepping stone. The Monchgladbach job for instance with some decent young players he can expand on.

Exactly there’s no need to go for the dream job just yet. Broaden your experiences and skill set. He could choose to stay at Rangers and become a managerial legend in his own right for a different club.

• Like 1

Just now, Fox in the North said:

Exactly there’s no need to go for the dream job just yet. Broaden your experiences and skill set. He could choose to stay at Rangers and become a managerial legend in his own right for a different club.

Where Liverpool are now, would they give him the time he had at Rangers, or Ole has had? I can't see them settling for mediocre for a few years. 

47 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

His Rangers side have been brilliant this year, but Celtic have basically fallen off a cliff.

33 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

It's not been hard for him to win the league this year, when the only other challengers have done so badly.

I don't particularly like Gerrard or pay much attention to Scottish football, but doesn't this play down just how imperious his side has been this season and the job he's done on the whole? Celtic's implosion is almost (almost) an irrelevance as far as that they could actually be going very well and barely be touching Rangers this season. They've dropped 8 points from a possible 90, haven't yet lost, and have conceded 9 goals in 30 league games. That's computer game stuff and made even more impressive given where they were when he took over.

He should go abroad maybe a decent German team.  A Championship club would prove nothing and a PL club playing against Liverpool would be odd to say the least.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Langston said:

I don't particularly like Gerrard or pay much attention to Scottish football, but doesn't this play down just how imperious his side has been this season and the job he's done on the whole? Celtic's implosion is almost (almost) an irrelevance as far as that they could actually be going very well and barely be touching Rangers this season. They've dropped 8 points from a possible 90, haven't yet lost, and have conceded 9 goals in 30 league games. That's computer game stuff and made even more impressive given where they were when he took over.

Fair points. It's his European run that has absolutely blown me away. I think, as far as I'm aware, they're actually unbeaten all season. Even when Celtic romped to the title, they still had a fairly torrid time abroad. 

It's not out of the question that Rangers could win the league and make it to the semis of EL

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It has been forgotten that he was still a bit of a joke figure before he came to us. All these pundits and journalists asking why the top team didn't go for him- well, his reputation was battered at Liverpool.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Langston said:

Not trying to shit on what he's done, his European record is exceptional. Absolutely blown so many sides away. I'm just suggesting that a competitive Celtic could have pushed them. But it's ifs and buts. He's doing a great job. He's been given a fair crack almost outside of the English media spotlight given he's in Scotland and how dominant Celtic were. 

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

It has been forgotten that he was still a bit of a joke figure before he came to us. All these pundits and journalists asking why the top team didn't go for him- well, his reputation was battered at Liverpool.

Absolutely, he was mocked and memed for years over that, even after his Celtic triumphs. Leicester has been a brilliant show of him rebuilding that reputation and pushing on. No big team wanted to take that chance on him. 

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

I know he's a fan of the club, but it's incredible that somebody who'd just left Liverpool had such low stock the Celtic job got taken, really. Look at the names they've been linked with since, as well as the jokers they had just before Rodgers. He really was a ridiculous coup for them.

Rodgers ended badly with Liverpool. But how was it a failure? It was Liverpool's best league finish since Rafa in 08/09 (I think). Yes he bottled it at the end especially that Chelsea home defeat. But his overall time at Liverpool was not a failure.

Just now, Koke said:

Rodgers ended badly with Liverpool. But how was it a failure? It was Liverpool's best league finish since Rafa in 08/09 (I think). Yes he bottled it at the end especially that Chelsea home defeat. But his overall time at Liverpool was not a failure.

It wasn't. But media spins it as a flop. His side at the end was poor, but sales of Coutinho and Sterling, who Rodgers had brought on, really set them up for what they've become.

Rodgers problems started in the following summer when they sold Suarez and tried to replace him with Balotelli and you just know that's never going to work out. He then tried to replace him again with Benteke who was great at Villa, but he was the best player in a poor squad. Plus at villa he was given free pass to do what ever wanted on the pitch. While at liverpool he was given instructions to just stick to position and wait which probably wasnt his style.

Edited by Leicesterpool

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

Recency bias plays a part but his season after the title loss was a catalogue of errors. Losing Suarez and signing Balotelli, playing a weakened team at Real Madrid, going out in the group stage of the Champions League, the 6-1 defeat at Stoke, losing to Newcastle, Hull, Aston Villa, drawing 2-2 with us when we were bottom and adrift at the time. Lost an FA Cup semi-final to Aston Villa who finished 17th.

It really went off the boil after that title chase.