Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Oh so you are the judge of what a football fan should be now?

I never said I liked it , I said I like contrasting styles. 

their is no style to the burnelys or west broms its sit deep one up front knock on;s and punts, again its horrible to watch did you see the two burnley west brom games.

Fair play to them but its miserable and brighton going  down makes the league worse because they will have been brave and come up short

But then again they have bottled so many games maybe its their fault. shame though.

Edited by twister

Honestly, the decision to give Brighton their second penalty for a perfectly good tackle was the much more egregious decision.

If Leicester missed out on the CL this season due to a free-kick like that being scored against us we'd all be screaming bloody murder on here.

It's not like it's even a good free-kick. It's half way up the goal and 2-3rds of the way to the post - he's just hit it anywhere into the empty net. The keeper is standing on the opposite post and still nearly makes it - it's a routine save if the ref doesn't blow early and he's well positioned.

The ref made the dozy mistake of blowing for the free-kick early and quickly corrected it. Don't see a problem with that at all. It's the right decision to not allow the goal.

Not sure why people are getting so worked up over it. If that was against Leicester we'd be up praising the ref making the right call in the end.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Just now, twister said:

their is no style to the burnelys or west broms its sit deep one up front knock on;s and punts

Fair play to them but its miserable and brighton going  down makes the league worse because they will have been brave and come up short

But then again they have bottled so many games maybe its their fault. shame though.

A lot of fans would say we did a lot of that when we won the title.

For what its worth I think they will survive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

It's all Mike Rileys fault. Standard of reffing has been getting worse every single year now. The man in charge of them needs to go.

The fact that Mike Riley makes a living out of football disgusts me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

Will there be Leicester fans cheering on Chelsea tomorrow against Man Utd?

I wouldn't be surprised as I remember last season people cheering on a CL rival against Man City as they wanted to finish second and put more value on that than securing 4th place at the risk of finishing 5th. 

3 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I remember them times well. 

Mental in them last ten games how many people couldn't genuinely grasp it, and its happening again this season.. Bonkers lol

Thank **** for you pair, I thought I was the only sane person on here lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

A lot of fans would say we did a lot of that when we won the title.

For what its worth I think they will survive.

they wont sadly 

can see norwich going down next year as well, playing football is more likley to get you relegated than this kick and rush approach

7 minutes ago, twister said:

their is no style to the burnelys or west broms its sit deep one up front knock on;s and punts, again its horrible to watch did you see the two burnley west brom games.

I'm not sure teams, some of who are 'top' teams who play possession football, having possession for possession sake, making nothing but sideways and backwards passes are any easier on the eye, yet so many people lap that up, I find it very labourious, horrible and miserable to watch personally, does that not make me a real football fan?

I'm not saying that's what you're alluding to, I have a suspicion you are, but it remains to be seen.

I think there's alot of football snobery around Burnley, West Brom or similar teams yet I feel when a team simply has alot of the ball but don't actually do anything with it or go anywhere with it they don't get moaned about how boring and 'miserable' they are.

People think football is played by stats in this day and age, "Ooooh look at the possession stats", yeah but what has a team actually done with those possession stats?

For what its worth when i've watched Brighton they have played well, been fair exciting, but they've not won many games i've watched, so somethings gotta give, somethings gotta change.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Fact is you should be able to take a free kick however you like, defensive team has no say in when it should be taken. If your not ready tough shit. 

Only time you should wait is if a booking is taking place. 

It's not tough shit though if it happens to you though, is it?

You shouldnt be able to take free-kicks how you like at all and no one has ever refereed the games like that because it fundamentally changes the flow of the game, because the attacking team can now fundamentally change their set up while the defensive side can't challenge for the ball while it's dead - and even have to back off and get 10 yards away.

As soon as we start allowing that, I'd give it 3 weeks before Sean Dyche starts deliberately winning free-kicks, picking the ball up, placing it down then booting them into the empty net while defenders are forced to walk away 10 yards. You'd soon end up the game becoming a procession of free-kicks and booted shots before anyone can set themselves.

The shape of the game and tactical position fundamentally changes when the play is stopped - and the defenders have to walk back to get their 10 yard distance. If you're giving the attacking team the ability to pick the ball up with their hand, place it down, change their direction and shoot while defenders are forced to be walking away from where the ball has been placed then you're fundamentally allowing attackers to take advantage of the fact tye defensive team have to walk back and get into position.

Attacking teams would just all wait until the moment when the defensive team are least ready (which is an inevitability given they have to move away from the ball to 10 yards). In which case free-kicks soon become a boring procession of shooting when the defensive team are still only 8 yards away walking backwards after being forced to quickly move away.

No idea why anyone would want that. No one is enjoying skilfull players scoring free kicks then. We're watching goals being decided or not by whether defensive players are still moving back into position or not.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It's not tough shit though if it happens to you though, is it?

You shouldnt be able to take free-kicks how you like at all and no one has ever refereed the games like that because it fundamentally changes the flow of the game, because the attacking team can now fundamentally change their set up while the defensive side can't challenge for the ball while it's dead - and even have to back off and get 10 yards away.

As soon as we start allowing that, I'd give it 3 weeks before Sean Dyche starts deliberately winning free-kicks, picking the ball up, placing it down then booting them into the empty net while defenders are forced to walk away 10 yards. You'd soon end up the game becoming a procession of free-kicks and booted shots before anyone can set themselves.

The shape of the game and tactical position fundamentally changes when the play is stopped - and the defenders have to walk back to get their 10 yard distance. If you're giving the attacking team the ability to pick the ball up with their hand, place it down, change their direction and shoot while defenders are forced to be walking away from where the ball has been placed then you're fundamentally allowing attackers to take advantage of the fact tye defensive team have to walk back and get into position.

Attacking teams would just all wait until the moment when the defensive team are least ready (which is an inevitability given they have to move away from the ball to 10 yards). In which case free-kicks soon become a boring procession of shooting when the defensive team are still only 8 yards away walking backwards after being forced to quickly move away.

No idea why anyone would want that. No one is enjoying skilfull players scoring free kicks then. We're watching goals being decided or not by whether defensive players are still moving back into position or not.

Players have stopped the quick free kick being taken for years. If the quick one is on then you should be able to take it. Players will soon realise and be ready for it. You could maybe remove the 10 yard rule if you decide to take a quick one. 

10 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Players have stopped the quick free kick being taken for years. If the quick one is on then you should be able to take it. Players will soon realise and be ready for it. You could maybe remove the 10 yard rule if you decide to take a quick one. 

But Brighton didn't even go for the quick free kick and the laws of the game make a distinction between a quick free-kick and a non-quick free-kick where the 10 yard rule isnt in play for quick free-kicks.

Their players clearly stood casually over the ball and talked about who would take it for about 30 seconds, while the wall was being set up.

The ref simply blew too early, realised very quickly afterwards then blew again to stop it. 

If you want to speculate whether or not we'd remove the 10 yard rule that's another issue, but that's not the current rule, current convention or at all within the spirit of the game as the rules stand.

You're going against decades of convention and the unwritten rules we are all aware of if that's being allowed and people would be speculating if the ref was being paid off for essentially "manufacturing" a goal for Brighton by allowing them a free hit at an open goal while the defensive team are doing something which convention says is how free-kicks work.

Edited by Sampson

44 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

can a player be booked for pretending to be injured? Leeds player rolling around for ages then jumps up when confronted and suddenly cured.

It should happen.

Players welfare pushed forwards more than ever now, we have concussion subs etc, and there are still players that pretend to be injured and dive around. Needs to be stopped.

• Like 2