Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Guest ttfn

Bartley scores from about 5 yards out, Alisson would have to be Dash from the Incredibles to keep that out even with a clear line of sight.

40 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

So, Liverpool score from a free kick that never was. WBA have a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed and then Liverpool score in the 5th minute of 4 added on?

Oh, and Mike Dean is from Merseyside 

Commentary even said at one point that he wasn’t allowed to ref Liverpool games and was even removed from a cup fixture 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Out of interest why is that? He wouldnt have got anywhere near it if he could see the whole picture.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

Could Alisson have positioned himself better, and broke on the header faster, if Phillips wasn't a few feet in front of him?  Matter of interpretation, but I'd say yes.

Frankly I was raging at Phillips when I saw that angle, because he made it too easy for Dean, and for VAR to uphold him.  He could have shat on Alisson's shoes from that position.

Annoying that it was so late but it doesn't change Tuesday really- we should be aiming to win and confirm it.

I've got conflicting feelings- the Champions League doesn't really excite me too much but I know it will help keep players and attract new ones. The Europa League, from a competitive point of view, is more appealing.

To be honest, winning the FA Cup has settled me down, it feels like we've achieved something and the season will still be a success.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

So we need:

a) Beat Chelsea

b) Draw Chelsea + Win Spurs 

c) Draw Chelsea + Match their final result

d) Liverpool to drop points against Burnley and/or Palace 

If we beat Chelsea twice in 4 days then we thoroughly deserve it..but just can't see that happening.

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Because Matt Phillips was just in front of Allison, and between him and the ball when it was headed into his box.  The keeper's sight was impeded.

2009850130_WBAoffside.JPG.600b16346815a1adfaa129fc5cf1f7e8.JPG

I'm sick about the ending of that game, but I am not going to make myself sicker over this call.  I'd be furious if that was Kasper and offside wasn't given.

Out of curiosity is it when the ball comes into the box that counts?

It strikes me the moment it come of his head even from that image it's back in play because Alison can clearly see over the off-side players shoulder. Like you I don't care that much, it's just more evidence of what a joke VAR is when it comes to this stuff.

That goal at the end isn’t necessarily a bad thing. A draw would still have made us vulnerable, but now there is more pressure heaped on Chelsea.

We’ve already got the big prize, our players should be full of beans on Tuesday. 

Even if we do blow it I won’t be that disappointed. 

• Like 1

Guest bennytwohats
19 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Yes, actually.

There's a massive difference between 

a) A presenter who occasionally lets his allegiance come to the fore, and admits and apologises for any bias, and

b) Sky's constant practice of installing biased fans in commentary of the game whilst it happens through the prism of their own bias.  

We might have seen Lineker emotional before and after the game, at which stage they showed you his reaction to the goal, but I don't recall them having Lineker whoop down the microphone when Tielemans scored, having buttered Leicester's muffin all game.

It just ain't the same thing, chief.

Can you explain to me why one is completely fine and the other is bad enough to warrant comment?

You’re also ignoring that the BBC is funded on license fees and has a remit to represent the whole country. Sky is a corporation and can do what it pleases. If anything there is much more onus on the BBC to be impartial because of that.

23 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Yes, actually.

There's a massive difference between 

a) A presenter who occasionally lets his allegiance come to the fore, and admits and apologises for any bias, and

b) Sky's constant practice of installing biased fans in commentary of the game whilst it happens through the prism of their own bias.  

We might have seen Lineker emotional before and after the game, at which stage they showed you his reaction to the goal, but I don't recall them having Lineker whoop down the microphone when Tielemans scored, having buttered Leicester's muffin all game.

It just ain't the same thing, chief.

It's because many people watching will be Man Utd or Liverpool fans. I don't like it either. Really don't like CL games have commentary biased towards the English team either and this goes for all stations. I often want the foreign team to win so I find this particularly galling. 

3 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

Can you explain to me why one is completely fine and the other is bad enough to warrant comment?

You’re also ignoring that the BBC is funded on license fees and has a remit to represent the whole country. Sky is a corporation and can do what it pleases. If anything there is much more onus on the BBC to be impartial because of that.

First ever cup final win where the presenter is a city fan - versus every single Liverpool game where the commentator is a Liverpool fan.

It’s completely different. 

• Like 1

Amidst the continuing discussion of announcers regularly demonstrating their bias...

One of the many reasons I like NBC's lead announcer team (Arlo White, Graeme Le Saux, and Lee Dixon) is that they rarely if ever show bias toward their clubs.  If they have shown bias I have missed it.

Arlo is an admitted Leicester supporter.  I have never heard him cheer Leicester or show bias while announcing.

Graeme is a former Chelsea man.  He is more likely to criticize the current Chelsea players than cheer them, while on the air.

Lee is Arsenal.  I've not heard bias from him either, except perhaps to criticize Arsenal at times.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Because Matt Phillips was just in front of Allison, and between him and the ball when it was headed into his box.  The keeper's sight was impeded.

I'm sick about the ending of that game, but I am not going to make myself sicker over this call.  I'd be furious if that was Kasper and offside wasn't given.

Like at arsenal this season .......your right - we’ve had that call in our favour this season ....

• Like 1

The Arsenal one was slightly different because the angle of the ball, along with the player's position, made it difficult for our defender to attempt to get the ball. As I said, I don't think Allison is saving that with or without the player, he's not closing it down or coming for the cross.

The West Brom player should do more to get back onside, though.

22 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I didn’t watch the BBC coverage as I was at the game but Gary was the city representative, Ashley Cole was the Chelsea Representative and then Alan Shearer and Ian Wright was the neutrals, surely that covers all bases 

Sky are heavily bias towards the “big 6” especially Liverpool, today’s game for example a Liverpool fan on commentary and 2 Liverpool fans in the studio 

• Like 1