Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

We will always be in that category. We're up and down and that's the way it goes. Most clubs have little spells of success, possible every club apart from Liverpool and Man Utd who are fairly consistent, and players want to win trophies. 

Summed up by the fact we were Champions of England and Kante left to join a club that had finished 10th. But in the long run, Chelsea will win more than us.

We need another trophy soon and hopefully it'll be the FA Cup or, and I'm dreaming here, the Europa League. Finishing top 6 every season is good in the grand scheme of things but in terms of players they want more, and rightfully so. Hence, look at Villa for example finishing top 6 under MON consistently but their better players (ie Barry/Milner/Young) ended up leaving at the first sniff of winning trophies on a consistent basis.

My point though is if we continue to finish in the top 6 for the next 10 or 15 years, maybe pick up a couple of minor trophies or potentially (unlikely) a major trophy, build a 48,000 seater stadium then the big 6 could very conceivably become the big 7. I remember growing up in was always the big 4 before spurs and Man City joined it. However, if we're finishing mid table or god forbid get relegated this clearly won't happen. I believe this club has the potential for both these things to happen and I very much hope for one over the other. 

54 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I think why people get frustrated sometimes is that we show how good we can be only to then throw away all the good work we've achieved with really poor performances against teams we have better players that. The thing that bothers me is that at the the moment I see our club in a unique position in English football. We have the ability and potential to kick on from the last five years or so and become one of the so called big clubs fully on merit or we have the have the potential to fall away and become a Ipswich or Forest, a club who did something unbelievable once only to fall away to mediocrity. I am desperate for it to be the former and us to kick on, but it's such a fragile position to be in.

That being said I have often voiced my bemusement at the sheer fickleness of this forum, especially after we lose and people shouldn't be looking looking at games in isolation but the bigger picture. However I can get the frustration many feel after a bad defeat. 

45 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

We will always be in that category. We're up and down and that's the way it goes. Most clubs have little spells of success, possible every club apart from Liverpool and Man Utd who are fairly consistent, and players want to win trophies. 

Summed up by the fact we were Champions of England and Kante left to join a club that had finished 10th. But in the long run, Chelsea will win more than us.

We need another trophy soon and hopefully it'll be the FA Cup or, and I'm dreaming here, the Europa League. Finishing top 6 every season is good in the grand scheme of things but in terms of players they want more, and rightfully so. Hence, look at Villa for example finishing top 6 under MON consistently but their better players (ie Barry/Milner/Young) ended up leaving at the first sniff of winning trophies on a consistent basis.

Agree The title win has definitely effected some fans expectations of course it has, but why, it was a 1 off, pre and post we don’t have the numbers to back it up, yet for some it seems like we are failing. 
The season before we held on by the skin of our teeth finishing 14th which in the history books doesn’t look to bad 1st season back but doesn’t reflect the season’s performance. We then have a Christmas miracle the very next season, if the club was a person it would be diagnosed with bipolar how those 2 seasons went.

The following season we drop to 12th but that’s over shadowed by a 1/4 final Champions Lge, we then have 2 9 place finishes ending with 5th last season after slipping out the top spots in the final weeks of a crazy infection riddled year.

First thing that screams out at me is with those figures we have no right to be where we are currently but secondly and more importantly the curve is on the up which makes it strange to listen to comments suggesting we are on the way down.

We lost to Fulham the other day and all hell breaks loose, part of me thinks it’s a reaction  of embarrassment to fans having to go into work and be laughed at the next morning, we have no right to turn up and win. If you watched Fulham v Everton they turned a corner and should have won that game, they also put in a much improved performance against Man C yesterday with a pen upping the score line to make it look better.

Peach You mention dropping like Ipswich and Forest but we are not in the same position as they were, as in their time they were 2 of the biggest clubs at the time.

A better example would be Blackburn, with an injection of money they came from nowhere relatively speaking had a couple of seasons in the sun and faded away after their title win their curve started to go drop season on season before relegation. In part of that it was down to expectations, they pumped massive amounts of money into playing staff and nothing else, this is in contrast to Leicester who treating it like a business have a business plan in place, treating it like a business have set high but realistic long term targets.
They have sold assets at a high price which have funded the gradual growth of a better squad, they built a state of the art training facility to not only provide the best working environment for current staff but use it to entice future staff not only playing but medical, science etc and in the process of securing a stadium expansion.

With these steps we are trying to secure a sustained future at the top table and I for 1 would rather hit a gradual up curve than to do a Blackburn and have say 3 years bragging rights when I go in the office after a game.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Agree The title win has definitely effected some fans expectations of course it has, but why, it was a 1 off, pre and post we don’t have the numbers to back it up, yet for some it seems like we are failing. 
The season before we held on by the skin of our teeth finishing 14th which in the history books doesn’t look to bad 1st season back but doesn’t reflect the season’s performance. We then have a Christmas miracle the very next season, if the club was a person it would be diagnosed with bipolar how those 2 seasons went.

The following season we drop to 12th but that’s over shadowed by a 1/4 final Champions Lge, we then have 2 9 place finishes ending with 5th last season after slipping out the top spots in the final weeks of a crazy infection riddled year.

First thing that screams out at me is with those figures we have no right to be where we are currently but secondly and more importantly the curve is on the up which makes it strange to listen to comments suggesting we are on the way down.

We lost to Fulham the other day and all hell breaks loose, part of me thinks it’s a reaction  of embarrassment to fans having to go into work and be laughed at the next morning, we have no right to turn up and win. If you watched Fulham v Everton they turned a corner and should have won that game, they also put in a much improved performance against Man C yesterday with a pen upping the score line to make it look better.

Peach You mention dropping like Ipswich and Forest but we are not in the same position as they were, as in their time they were 2 of the biggest clubs at the time.

A better example would be Blackburn, with an injection of money they came from nowhere relatively speaking had a couple of seasons in the sun and faded away after their title win their curve started to go drop season on season before relegation. In part of that it was down to expectations, they pumped massive amounts of money into playing staff and nothing else, this is in contrast to Leicester who treating it like a business have a business plan in place, treating it like a business have set high but realistic long term targets.
They have sold assets at a high price which have funded the gradual growth of a better squad, they built a state of the art training facility to not only provide the best working environment for current staff but use it to entice future staff not only playing but medical, science etc and in the process of securing a stadium expansion.

With these steps we are trying to secure a sustained future at the top table and I for 1 would rather hit a gradual up curve than to do a Blackburn and have say 3 years bragging rights when I go in the office after a game.

Can't disagree with this. Maybe I gave the wrong examples but my whole point was just trying to explain my frustrations sometimes when I feel the club has such potential and I am desperate to see us achieve it. I was wondering if this could go some way to explaining the extreme reactions to losses.

• Like 1

I don't know about "fans expectations". The bar has been set and we should strive not just to be a top six side but emulate that magnificent achievement.

Why should we think that because we won the title we can't do it again. Remember, Liverpool with all their resources have only won the EPL once and they, I'm sure, would want to win it again.

3 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I don't know about "fans expectations". The bar has been set and we should strive not just to be a top six side but emulate that magnificent achievement.

Why should we think that because we won the title we can't do it again. Remember, Liverpool with all their resources have only won the EPL once and they, I'm sure, would want to win it again.

Striving is rather different to expecting, though, would you not agree?

• Like 1

Connor Gallagher looks some player. I've seen him play in the championship and was impressed but to see him doing it in the premier league is even more so. It's not even the goals he's scoring but his all round play. He's a proper athlete who is very technically good as well.

So anyway, to get this thread back on track, it's all going on (or going off rather) down at the Hawthorns 👀 EDIT - oops, you lot have been discussing the match after all. My phone had a bit of a moment, ignore me.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

I'm not sure that was a clear and obvious error from the referee. It was subjective whether he even kicked out. Referees original decision should have remained for me.

Is this a grey area ?  If he awards a yellow then the var can check whether it should be a red.. if he doesn’t award a yellow then would the var even get involved ???

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

That’s weird - the leg that kicks out makes no contact yet it’s a red card ?? how can the ref know there was intent to kick out or if it’s just reflex movement as the right leg takes the contact of the defender falling against him ??  

He doesn't thrust his feet into the palace player. He could have been protecting himself, he could have simply been raising his feet in order to spring back to his feet. It just seems bizarre for that to be judged as violent conduct.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Is this a grey area ?  If he awards a yellow then the var can check whether it should be a red.. if he doesn’t award a yellow then would the var even get involved ???

I honestly don't have a clue. I'm not 100% sure on the rules which is probably part of the problem.

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Wow, that was harsh

Don't think it was a red either. The one that comes to mind immediately is Maguire's against Chelsea which was more forceful and made more contact yet didn't have any punishment. 

He gave the ref a decision to make so was a silly thing to do but don't think it was that much of a red card offence. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yes it can still be checked.