Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Just now, Stadt said:

I'd be very conflicted if Pearson ended up at Newcastle (again). I sympathise with Newcastle fans to an extent but in my experience they're mostly quite thick 

Pearson is actually a great shout for Newcastle, if they gave him time to build something. Has a great eye for a player so Ashley would be happy, their supporters would love him I think and he would get them moving away from the relegation zone.

24 minutes ago, Corky said:

Imagine being a Newcastle fan watching this every week and are told to be careful what you wish for.

Too many cvnts like Jim White and his ilk are spouting this nonsense. Im completely indifferent to Newcastle and their plight but I hate when media folks speak in a condescending fashion to fans who demand better. 

All Newcastle fans want is to play decent football and see progress.

25 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Bloke is supposedly a fan himself... I don't see it, ****ing mercenary has no loyalty to anything. 

I just don't see him as a Premier League manager now. No progressive Premier League club- the likes of ourselves, Wolves, Leeds, Southampton, even Brighton and Burnley- all clubs who would no doubt have loved someone of his experience and quality in getting teams promoted in the past decade would go nowhere near him now.

He's been at Aston Villa but Dean Smith has proved to be a much better fit. He's just not cut out for this level.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Mark Hughes probably driving to Tyneside already....

The thing is, I don't see a realistic manager option for Newcastle who will do a much better job than bruce honestly. Howe, Hughes, Big Nige? I think Newcastle fans believe that when they get a new manager in, they will take them straight to Europe but first they need a manager who plays a decent style of football and gets some of those underperforming players back performing again. I really believe that Newcastle need to go down and rebuild like the 16/17 season when they got Ritchie, Hayden, Yedlin etc.

2 minutes ago, Mash21 said:

The thing is, I don't see a realistic manager option for Newcastle who will do a much better job than bruce honestly. Howe, Hughes, Big Nige? I think Newcastle fans believe that when they get a new manager in, they will take them straight to Europe but first they need a manager who plays a decent style of football and gets some of those underperforming players back performing again. I really believe that Newcastle need to go down and rebuild like the 16/17 season when they got Ritchie, Hayden, Yedlin etc.

I promise you no genuine Newcastle fan thinks this.

I struggle not to be biased on the topic of Newcastle, but can you imagine the pain if you had to watch that at Leicester every week? 

Howe already know Wilson, Fraser and Ritchie... not a bad core to at least bring a little bit of joy back for the rest of the season lol (and i'm Howe's biggest critic!)

Just now, AjcW said:

I struggle not to be biased on the topic of Newcastle, but can you imagine the pain if you had to watch that at Leicester every week? 

Howe already know Wilson, Fraser and Ritchie... not a bad core to at least bring a little bit of joy back for the rest of the season lol (and i'm Howe's biggest critic!)

I think that Newcastle have potential to be a decent side but just need a manager that plays a nice brand of football. Also Wilson and Fraser backstabbed Eddie Howe when bournemouth needed them to turn up, could this be a factor in him not wanting to take the job? 

1 minute ago, Mash21 said:

I think that Newcastle have potential to be a decent side but just need a manager that plays a nice brand of football. Also Wilson and Fraser backstabbed Eddie Howe when bournemouth needed them to turn up, could this be a factor in him not wanting to take the job? 

Perhaps. I'd say he has a level of understanding for their situation though, you have to remember he decided to walk away too... it was time for a few people at that club to do that and he was part of that group.

Just now, AjcW said:

Perhaps. I'd say he has a level of understanding for their situation though, you have to remember he decided to walk away too... it was time for a few people at that club to do that and he was part of that group.

Yeah good point. For me I'm just not sure if Eddie Howe has the managerial ability to take Newcastle into the top half but if he can improve the play style, get backed in the summer and get his signings in then potentially he could be the man but for me I'm not sure.

1 minute ago, Mash21 said:

Yeah good point. For me I'm just not sure if Eddie Howe has the managerial ability to take Newcastle into the top half but if he can improve the play style, get backed in the summer and get his signings in then potentially he could be the man but for me I'm not sure.

I agree to be fair, I said earlier in the thread I don't see him touching Newcastle without a takeover. However in my reply to you he was the only one on your list who I felt could make an immediate impact... still don't think it happens though with Ashley in charge. 

15 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I can promise you that a lot of Newcastle fans genuinely believe that. There is a fair deal of delusion amongst the fan base I'm sorry to say.

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I can promise you that a lot of Newcastle fans genuinely believe that. There is a fair deal of delusion amongst the fan base I'm sorry to say.

There's a fair bit of delusion in ANY fanbase. Plenty of Sheffield Utd fans still think they've got a chance. That's football fans for you...

Just now, AjcW said:

There's a fair bit of delusion in ANY fanbase. Plenty of Sheffield Utd fans still think they've got a chance. That's football fans for you...

Yes I totally agree of course. Having lived and worked in Newcastle though I will say that it is particularly bad in that fan base. It becomes tiresome to listen to after a while.

9 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I agree to be fair, I said earlier in the thread I don't see him touching Newcastle without a takeover. However in my reply to you he was the only one on your list who I felt could make an immediate impact... still don't think it happens though with Ashley in charge. 

What's going on with a potential takeover? Your managerial options could expand massively if you got new owners because like you say, managers will know Mike Ashley's history and keep them away from the job. It would be good for the premier league as there would be another big team IF they spent the money wisely but from a Leicester point of view it would be another team to compete with for Europe.lol

3 minutes ago, Mash21 said:

What's going on with a potential takeover? Your managerial options could expand massively if you got new owners because like you say, managers will know Mike Ashley's history and keep them away from the job. It would be good for the premier league as there would be another big team IF they spent the money wisely but from a Leicester point of view it would be another team to compete with for Europe.lol

lol god knows. Premier League pissed off the Saudi's, only other option was some jewish investment banker money from London I think, might still be around as one of them quit his position at QPR a few months ago. 

It's my families team so I look out for them and feel all their frustrations I guess. But yes we don't want too much competition in our new found position of strength ;) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just seen Newcastle's last 6 games... 

Liverpool

Arsenal

Leicester 

Man City 

Sheff Utd 

Fulham 

So 3 games against top 6 sides, two relegation six-pointers, and Arsenal...

Lets not talk about last 6 games Stan, ours don't exactly fill me with Joy lol 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just seen Newcastle's last 6 games... 

Liverpool

Arsenal

Leicester 

Man City 

Sheff Utd 

Fulham 

So 3 games against top 6 sides, two relegation six-pointers, and Arsenal...

We might need them to take points in a couple of those if we're in a title push :ph34r:

On 17/01/2021 at 21:53, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Nacho isn’t up to the job he needs to go really, enough is enough he is never a top 6 striker or a back up 

Hi again King, a bit more about this striker problem. I've just posted on the Chelsea prematch thread a probably idiot idea that might keep JV playing an extra season or two. The physios would have to pronounce on that. But if his hip/groin problem eventually lead to JVs retirement we ideally need two strikers and buying two strikers is even riskier and more expensive and a recipe usually for sand in the works at any club. Just as BR seems to be getting us nicely oiled..

If JV can play practically all matches this season, Barnes/Madison can probably carry what was the Mahrez job. Very impressed with Madison's Soton goal , did n't think he had the body strength, and HBs goals ,shots and speed. Then when they became a class strikers (they're both well on the way to that .) KDH could be looked at as an apprentice striker (if it did n't work out I suspect he'd be a class MF performer I think) but if all this worked out we might be able to dodge the tricky and expensive issue of buying strikers. Yeah I know we'll have money after next season's ECL win which should keep BR on board, but its always good to save a bob or two if you can. I'll admit to being a bit obsessed about the two goals KDH scored , this week for Luton and another wonder goal he scored for Blackpool I think and someone posted on the forum (ball headed to him in IR position, killed it with his head to his feet and wham left footed). That was n't a v. Clear video but I think thats what happened. Definitely entries for GOTM.

Now I'm just one of the guys you see picking round the Palace waste bins in the lane so they won't listen to me, and this is football where nothing goes to plan. Whadya think ?   If royalty endorsed the idea they might listen.

This is probably simplifying things way too much but:

I get that Ashley is a tight-arse and one of the reasons he's so bloody minted is because he's frugal - but can he not see the benefits his brand(s) and wallet would get if Newcastle were actually half decent? I get that you're spending more but surely it has positives?

I've no strong feelings about the club either way but the bare minimum you could say about half their sides (in the PL era) is that they've been entertaining for one reason or another, either good to watch or absolutely hilariously shite - but since they came back up under Benitez they've just been bloody boring and have offered nothing to the division. Brighton / Burnley et al are looked at down noses as it is but if they showed the same level of ambition Ashley's Newcastle have they'd be hounded out the bloody league.

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

This is probably simplifying things way too much but:

I get that Ashley is a tight-arse and one of the reasons he's so bloody minted is because he's frugal - but can he not see the benefits his brand(s) and wallet would get if Newcastle were actually half decent? I get that you're spending more but surely it has positives?

I've no strong feelings about the club either way but the bare minimum you could say about half their sides (in the PL era) is that they've been entertaining for one reason or another, either good to watch or absolutely hilariously shite - but since they came back up under Benitez they've just been bloody boring and have offered nothing to the division. Brighton / Burnley et al are looked at down noses as it is but if they showed the same level of ambition Ashley's Newcastle have they'd be hounded out the bloody league.

Spent £70m last summer. And if you add in Fraser's wages they spent £40m this summer.

Combined that's only £20m less than us in the same period.

Spending it wrong would appear to be more the issue. The infrastructure is shot to pieces there, scouting etc, training facilities. All so far behind the rest of the league.

I don't like Ashley but I do think he's put his hand in his pocket the last couple of seasons more than he's given credit for. The problem is he's trusting absolute weapons to spend it.