Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Leicester are only four points off where they were after 18 games of last season - third instead of second, two points off top instead of 10 behind - AND we've had the big injury crisis and UEL distractions.

That's actually pretty impressive, especially considering we looked mentally shot by July.

We're doing alright you know :scarf:

Given the circumstances we’ve done brilliantly. Aside from the home blemishes of Villa Fulham West Ham I couldn’t have asked for a better season so far results wise. I still think we’re better than what we’ve shown so far this season too. Wait til our injuries are sorted and Brendan gets us firing on all cylinders properly, we’ll put some teams to the sword. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Nacho isn’t up to the job he needs to go really, enough is enough he is never a top 6 striker or a back up 

I certainly agree , I don't think we have enough real strikers or to put it another way we need more than 1. We do have ways round that though , the most likely of which seems to get more likely every game. A bit of extra coaching and a defined job as a scorer might be a bit of a challenge but HB is a trier and worker and I think he'd handle it well . He seemed under rated to me. I don't suppose he'll keep his current rate up but he could slip a bit and still run up 20 goals this season. And he does n't take penalties. He should certainly be practicing them along with who ever else is good in training but I'm sure thats being done already with this year's cup rules. I presume replays will be out even in the semis.

Our defence is over strong (if there is such a thing) and with Pereira nearly back, and in JJ, and Castagne ,reliable and versatile ,plus hopefully. Under  we've got wingers and probably cover. Luke Thomas also seems to be developing like Justin and is already almost regular first team quality. I think JV needs  another effective presser helping out as well. No one else seems to work as hard at it as JV, certainly not Iheanacho when I've seen him; token challenges. When their back men have the ball what else can our striker (s) do ? JV is very good at it and conserves his energy very skilfully but its really a two man job. Thankless most of the time but it needs doing. 

The thing that worries me about buying in a striker is that buying a really good striker (the only kind worth buying ) is expensive  and risky as even if you're lucky it usually takes a game or two to integrate them into a team, Teams often lose more than they gain for a while and with only half a season left even a hiccup for a couple of games might be too much.

However BR is doing pretty well and however he tackles a problem he must be aware of will probably be good. The Leicester job was seen as full of potential when he joined us and surely he's already strengthened our prospects significantly.. One poster on here who seems to know his stuff reckoned we could go into the last 4-5 games well clear on points. I think I must have misread it but I hope not ,we've got a tricky run in.

Edited by Alan Frost

5 hours ago, whetstonefox said:

To be fair Mark Chapman is making fun of how dull the game was 

I like Chapman, he did a good job with the two American football guys who obviously liked him too: and he's quite good at politely querying the pseudo analysis of Shearer and Murphy. Pretty obviously Pogba could only try one thing when his best chance came along and he did it well and ferociously. Chapman pointed this out politely. Should have kept it low said Shearer. Quite how even Messi could have kept that ball low defied analysis. I admired Shearer as a goal scorer but how three years of diving for free kicks at the end of his career followed fairly quickly by a spell trying to save Newcastle from relegation ( 5 points from a possible 24 was it ?) makes you wonder at how qualified he is for analysis. His f/c for L'pool Man U was 3-2. Murphy gave the game away.

Funnily enough his scepticism about VAR would now find supporters . Unfortunately Lineker and others meant Shearer had turned a full 180 degrees  gradually over the following 4 or 5 programs.

I'd still like him teaching some of our guys heading though, he was good. If I sound a little harsh I read what the BBC pay him for MOTD and what Hansen 's return taxis London /lLiverpool cost. That's my license fee they're spending.

Edited by Alan Frost

1 minute ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

5live sports news this morning opening line : It's looking like a 3 horse race for the title...............

Wow, counting Liverpool out of the title race after a couple of bad results this year is pretty extreme. Though they are yet to score in 2021

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yeah but if we'd only won every game like we should have we'd be top of the league right now.

According to BT if we want to be in the mix we need improve our home form if we need to be in the mix....they mentioned it about 900 times, disregarding how good our away form is.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

According to BT if we want to be in the mix we need improve our home form if we need to be in the mix....they mentioned it about 900 times, disregarding how good our away form is.

If we improve our home form we'll be more than in the mix, we'll be out in front. We're already in the mix with shit home form.

• Like 2

I'm not expecting us to keep up with Liverpool, Man City and probably Man Utd enough to be involved in a title race. Hopefully we can keep in touch for as long as possible and see what happens. 

Focus needs to be on qualifying for Europe again. Whichever one it is. 

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Leicester are only four points off where they were after 18 games of last season - third instead of second, two points off top instead of 10 behind - AND we've had the big injury crisis and UEL distractions.

That's actually pretty impressive, especially considering we looked mentally shot by July.

We're doing alright you know :scarf:

Most definately. Especially considering the European games and injury crisis. They have just got on with it and each and every one of them has stepped up. No complaining about the situation at all.  We are doing brilliantly! They are a year older and a year more experienced and they trust in Brendan and his team.  There is a confidence and belief now that they didn't have before.

Wins against Arsenal, Man City and Spurs and a draw with Man Utd can't be ignored either. Add Chelsea to that tomorrow and that is blooming brilliant! 😉😁 

Edited by Hales

10 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yeah but if we'd only won every game like we should have we'd be top of the league right now.

It's those pesky other teams!!! Why don't they just accept our superiority and god damn sexual prowess and roll over?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Mesut Ozil is finally in Turkey over a move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55559952

The Ozil situation was an absolute shambles. Hopefully it'll all come to light one day, as there is definitely a lot more to it. Best thing was Ozil actively going against every decision the Arsenal board made, just boosting his popularity with fans

• Like 3

I mean i get it that people are angry Leicester is ignored a lot,i get it and i am angry too,but come on.it does not matter that we are still second.those 2 clubs are much bigger than Leicester and its natural they are mentioned more than other clubs.

its how it is

2-3 good seasons and won PL is not enouugh,more needed 

rightfully so

This is how I feel about Bruno Fernandes. He gives the ball away a lot. His passing is ****ing awful for a supposed "world class" player (which he isn't btw). Against us he got the jammiest assist ever, stuck his leg out and that was that. He then gave the ball away near his own box and Barnes scored because of his mistake. 

• Like 3

Everton fans fuming over Roy Keane lol lol lol (I know we would too but funny to happen to another team, especially with how touchy they get). 

Having said that, I've got a feeling they'll beat us next week, we still finish above them but one of their highlights of the season will be next week. 

I really don't get their rivalry they've created against us. Is it borne out of jealousy? Something they've tried to do for 25+ years we've managed to do in the space of 5 years? Jealous we won the title before them? Jealous that we're in a position they want to be in and now they feel there's another side to try and overcome aside from the bigger clubs (not Arsenal)? 

7 years in the PL and I've just now realised Everton fans hate us. Why? I have no clue.. Everton are a compete non-entity to me. I've always liked them because they were underdogs to Liverpool. Weird fwnbase.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Everton fans fuming over Roy Keane lol lol lol (I know we would too but funny to happen to another team, especially with how touchy they get). 

Having said that, I've got a feeling they'll beat us next week, we still finish above them but one of their highlights of the season will be next week. 

I really don't get their rivalry they've created against us. Is it borne out of jealousy? Something they've tried to do for 25+ years we've managed to do in the space of 5 years? Jealous we won the title before them? Jealous that we're in a position they want to be in and now they feel there's another side to try and overcome aside from the bigger clubs (not Arsenal)? 

Have they?

I didn’t know that, but then I don’t look at Twitter and other social media platforms much 

I think Everton see us as the team they should be given the investment that has gone into the club. They’ve really spent quite a lot and, unlike the rich six, this translates to a very high percentage of wages to turnover, which isn’t sustainable long term.

It’s the same reason that we’ve had to shift people like Slimani on before we can buy whereas the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea can just keep pissing money up the wall 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I actually think we'll beat them.  I really hope so.  They came and did a number on us at the KP and bossed it really, especially in midfield.  I think we will be looking to put that right and Wilf back in midfield makes such a difference.  Could go either way but I just have a feeling the players will be especially up for this one.

30 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Aint it because some daft Tory old biddies and Foxes Travellers in our away support sang pro-Boris songs at Goodison in that League Cup tie last season? That seems to have stuck with a good few of them. It is shitearse rugby union behaviour from our lot tbf.

Probably laced with some jealousy as well; they've been clinging on to a 'best of the rest' title for 20 odd years like it's a trophy despite the fact they've had more than a few routinely average seasons in that time. They're probably shitting themselves that Villa look half decent now in all.

• Like 1