Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Howe going to Newcastle to play good football and get relegated would be fantastic. I think he'll be keeping an eye on the Celtic job though.

There is a reason Mark Hughes has suddenly appeared in the news again, I reckon he's had a hint.

Thats what I was thinking, Lennon will surely be gone anytime son and I think that for sure Howe would prefer the Celtic job and I do think that he would do a good job there. Unless he's super ambitious and thinks that he has the quality to turn it around at Newcastle?

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Spent £70m last summer. And if you add in Fraser's wages they spent £40m this summer.

Combined that's only £20m less than us in the same period.

Spending it wrong would appear to be more the issue. The infrastructure is shot to pieces there, scouting etc, training facilities. All so far behind the rest of the league.

I don't like Ashley but I do think he's put his hand in his pocket the last couple of seasons more than he's given credit for. The problem is he's trusting absolute weapons to spend it.

He's also got Steve Bruce as gaffer my brother - Benitez aside he's always seemed tight with managers.

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Spent £70m last summer. And if you add in Fraser's wages they spent £40m this summer.

Combined that's only £20m less than us in the same period.

Spending it wrong would appear to be more the issue. The infrastructure is shot to pieces there, scouting etc, training facilities. All so far behind the rest of the league.

I don't like Ashley but I do think he's put his hand in his pocket the last couple of seasons more than he's given credit for. The problem is he's trusting absolute weapons to spend it.

Have you got a director of football and if so how good is he? Maybe a switch up in the backroom staff then?

4 minutes ago, Mash21 said:

Thats what I was thinking, Lennon will surely be gone anytime son and I think that for sure Howe would prefer the Celtic job and I do think that he would do a good job there. Unless he's super ambitious and thinks that he has the quality to turn it around at Newcastle?

Wouldn't location be an issue for Howe? He got a nosebleed going as far North as Burnley...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mash21 said:

Have you got a director of football and if so how good is he? Maybe a switch up in the backroom staff then?

Naa, Rafa kicked off and Graham Carr who had the position basically lost all responsibility and left.

Lee Charnley runs all that side of things with Bruce now I think.

If Saudi takeover had gone through it was their first appointment of choice and there was loads of decent names on the shortlist.

Just now, FoyleFox said:

Wouldn't location be an issue for Howe? He got a nosebleed going as far North as Burnley...

He said on MNF he's open to going anywhere now, but was taking a longer break this season so he could see his family more.... perhaps to open up the opportunity of them all moving eventually.

I think Ashley does the bare minimum to stay in the Premier League. That's the ceiling of his ambition. Unless Newcastle look likely to drop, he won't care about the football or the fans opinions, pretty sure he gets a kick out of winding the toon fans up to be honest haha. Having Lee Charnley in charge of football affairs doesn't seem to be much help.

Lot of potential there and it must be frustrating to see other clubs over take them while their chairman is happy to collect his share of the tv money every season.

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Naa, Rafa kicked off and Graham Carr who had the position basically lost all responsibility and left.

Lee Charnley runs all that side of things with Bruce now I think.

If Saudi takeover had gone through it was their first appointment of choice and there was loads of decent names on the shortlist.

I think that this sums up Newcastle. The club needs this takeover badly. I've just looked up Lee Charnley and to be fair to him, he's risen through the ranks at Newcastle but that job shouldn't be given on merit but given to someone who's top quality.

I don’t think it helped wasting £40 million on Joey Linton, he needed to hit the ground running, even after a full season he still looks like he doesn’t fit in....

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Steve Bruce said that he thinks it's morally wrong to be playing football.

Clearly his players agree.

Seems the same as the end of last season when the likes of Bournemouth and Watford were desperately trying to get the season cancelled. Bournemouth players were getting covid for fun last year, I'm sure they were going round licking public toilets and stuff. 

11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

In the main, this is a great idea, although it would surely be an idea for head injuries to have an independent doctor who can do a quick check for concussion before a team decides to make a concussion sub (or not).

Without this, as I understand it, with both teams allowed 2 concussion subs during a game and the opposing team allowed to make a substitution at the same time both teams could in theory make 7 (yes, SEVEN) substitutions per game - 3 normal substitutes + 2 concussion subs + 2 subs at the same time as the opposing teams concussion subs!

Worse than that we may well get to a situation where a team who have a particularly weak bench against a team with a strong bench may decide not to take a player off for concussion so the other team don't gain an advantage.

Hopefully therefore it will be up to the doctors to decide who is concussed and who isn't.

According to the Telegraph:

The Premier League trial for permanent concussion substitutes that begins next week will include video evidence being assessed by the ‘tunnel doctor’ who will have the power to decide whether a player must be taken off... with no time limit placed on how long will be permitted for the medical assessment to be concluded.

The tunnel doctor is appointed by the home team, but is supposed to be independent 

Another Telegraph article has a neuropathologist arguing that this implementation is like "putting lipstick on a pig", owing to the fact that he doesn't believe they will have long enough to assess the injury.

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Frank Lampard must surely under immense pressure after that. Granted they were missing Kante and Giroud but they were truly woeful tonight. 

They're too one-dimensional.

When Giroud plays, it's pass the ball out wide to Chilwell, cross to Giroud, see what happens.

Without him, they get stuck.

10 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Frank Lampard must surely under immense pressure after that. Granted they were missing Kante and Giroud but they were truly woeful tonight. 

I came into this thread to post this exact thing.

He's spent big and they are below West Ham.