Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Anyone know anything about the Godsmark-Ford lad?

Was a midfielder for the U18's but might be playing in defence tonight looking at the other players. Kasey McAteer was very good for the U18's last season so be interesting to see how he progresses.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Was a midfielder for the U18's but might be playing in defence tonight looking at the other players. Kasey McAteer was very good for the U18's last season so be interesting to see how he progresses.

Definitely played CB for the U18s last season. 

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think its a balance of that. Right now the conveyor belt of players moving from U16's, to U18's to U23's is too slow, as is the desire to retain many academy players well in to their 20's. I don't dismiss the use of some and to simply bin them all off or refuse to play them now will potentially leave us ill equipped to compete at these levels but the end goal in mind has got to be to improve the transition amongst the age groups, to expose these players to a better standard of football earlier. 

This has to be part of an academy overhaul, better coaches and better recruitment too. We need serious investment, it should be as much of a priority as the key first team objectives.

I agree a balance is needed. But I'm not sure the balance is completely wrong at the moment. I'd like to see more youngsters. And our u23 team is younger now. But perhaps it's realistic only one of two of any cohort will make it through. Perhaps it's better to concentrate on only one or two (Thomas for example) in a solid team. I'm not a coach obviously. But our successes so far have been with players we've developed from a very young age, around eight years old. It's possible we're only concentrating on these players and those who joined us later are given a lot less time, even to the point where they don't even make it to the u23s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Nah you got that all wrong, I was aiming my comment at those trying to work out what would happen in January. 

My point was we need to see progression and the championship is the next step. Unfortunately, regardless of how good he was at posh, the only championship team ready to take the chance on him was Wycombe, who lets face it, are doggo. 

If he does well and the progression is there, the next step in January would be a higher championship team with a view to another contract, given he is progressing. 

If the progression isn't there, they may cut their losses and sell in Jan to a team like posh who were desperate for him. 

I don't think that's out there thinking to be honest

Fair does in general. But do you know this for sure? There may be quite a few reasons we (or he) have chosen Wycombe. It might not be because we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

For example, his extension at the Posh was great, even though it was league 1, because it allowed him to transition into defensive midfield in a competitive club that already valued him highly, something most other teams wouldn't do since it's a risk.

And if he's trying to cement his defensive credentials, a lower championship club that will be under the cosh and who will definitely play him might be a calculate risk that pays dividends.

Edited by Foxxed

38 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Fair does in general. But do you know this for sure? There may be quite a few reasons we (or he) have chosen Wycombe. It might not be because we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

For example, his extension at the Posh was great, even though it was league 1, because it allowed him to transition into defensive midfield in a competitive club that already valued him highly, something most other teams wouldn't do since it's a risk.

And if he's trying to cement his defensive credentials, a lower championship club that will be under the cosh and who will definitely play him might be a calculate risk that pays dividends.

No it was very much an assumption but I did qualify that in my original post.

Personally, I don't think going to a club likely to be losing week in week out, shipping goals left right and centre and scoring none (so far) will do the guys confidence any good and I'd think the club would have jumped at the chance to send him higher up the table. 

But that's my opinion mixed with some assumptions. But that's kinda the point of this forum