Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

U18s have now lost 4/4, losing 8-2 at Southampton today.

The strange thing is that each of those four games, and their next three, are all away from home. Their first home game is not until 21 November.

Anyone know if that is related to the new training ground?

Frightening how bad the results are for the U18's and 23's this season. 

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

...for some people, it does not matter about results, if we can bring a few Premiership players through!!!

Personally I want results plus a good amount of players coming through to make the First Team.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

The strange thing is that each of those four games, and their next three, are all away from home. Their first home game is not until 21 November.

The U23's are away to Man City today, their 5th straight away game & they do not have a home game until November 23rd.

I would guess it must be related to the new training ground. I wonder if they will still be using Holmes Park at all in the future?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

doubt whether that hammering was influenced too much by playing away from home.....but i do understand the point you are making and suspect you are probably right about the traning ground facility. :)

• Like 1

U23s at Man City kicked off five mins ago, team is Stolarczyk; Daley-Campbell, Nelson, O'Connor, Yfeko; Tavares, Wright, Leshabela; Reghba, Wakeling, Shade.

Jacob Wakeling is a striker who left West Brom U18s in the summer, joined Alvechurch. Not sure if he's on trial or not.

Odunze, Godsmark-Ford, McAteer, Seungchitthawon, Arlott-John all on the bench.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

U23s at Man City kicked off five mins ago, team is Stolarczyk; Daley-Campbell, Nelson, O'Connor, Yfeko; Tavares, Wright, Leshabela; Reghba, Wakeling, Shade.

Jacob Wakeling is a striker who left West Brom U18s in the summer, joined Alvechurch. Not sure if he's on trial or not.

Wakeling scored a hat trick at Barwell the other week. Alvechurch were getting quite excited about this young striker. I think the last time we took a striker from Alvechurch was Alan Smith and that turned out ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

Looks a much younger team than we've seen in the past few years?

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Looks a much younger team than we've seen in the past few years?

Yeah, Yfeko and Nelson are both still scholars, likewise McAteer and Godsmark-Ford. Obviously in releasing Johansson, G. Thomas, Ughelumba, Tee etc. and then loaning out Clark, Hughes, Johnson, Knight, Hirst etc. they've been left with a very thin squad.

They're without Ndukwu and Muskwe, granted, but it does seem like we're seeing a few more U18s join the U23 picture, which is allowing Adam Barradell in the U18s to introduce more U16s into a higher level of football. If, as @Ric Flair and others have suggested, this next crop of U16s is a special bunch, that could work out very well for us by fast-tracking some of their development.

As for the game, I've been watching on Man City's website (we aren't broadcasting it due to the Villa game later). 2-0 down with Reghba sent off for a nasty tackle, they've been largely backs against the walls all game and have struggled to get out. Impressed by O'Connor at CB with some last-ditch defending, Wright and Leshabela have done okay as a midfield pair with Tavares in the '10' role behind Wakeling. Otherwise it's been a largely typical U23s performance, not enough quality and too much individuality especially out wide.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Yeah, Yfeko and Nelson are both still scholars, likewise McAteer and Godsmark-Ford. Obviously in releasing Johansson, G. Thomas, Ughelumba, Tee etc. and then loaning out Clark, Hughes, Johnson, Knight, Hirst etc. they've been left with a very thin squad.

They're without Ndukwu and Muskwe, granted, but it does seem like we're seeing a few more U18s join the U23 picture, which is allowing Adam Barradell in the U18s to introduce more U16s into a higher level of football. If, as @Ric Flair and others have suggested, this next crop of U16s is a special bunch, that could work out very well for us by fast-tracking some of their development.

As for the game, I've been watching on Man City's website (we aren't broadcasting it due to the Villa game later). 2-0 down with Reghba sent off for a nasty tackle, they've been largely backs against the walls all game and have struggled to get out. Impressed by O'Connor at CB with some last-ditch defending, Wright and Leshabela have done okay as a midfield pair with Tavares in the '10' role behind Wakeling. Otherwise it's been a largely typical U23s performance, not enough quality and too much individuality especially out wide.

Disappointed Terell Pennant hasn't had much of a look in for the U23's yet, was the standout U18 last season and yet after a couple of sub appearances he's back playing U18's again aged 18. 

23 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Loaning out players and lowering the age of the sides is what many were calling for. Getting beaten every week and not being competitive is the result of this strategy. Can't see many progressing playing in a losing side every week to be honest.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Loaning out players and lowering the age of the sides is what many were calling for. Getting beaten every week and not being competitive is the result of this strategy. Can't see many progressing playing in a losing side every week to be honest.

I called for it, didn't think it would be this bad bit perhaps this is all part of promoting a new strategy, can't expect immediate results when age groups have been held back for so long. The U16's have some real talent that hopefully can be fast tracked in to the U18's and then in to the U23's a bit quicker. We need to start recruiting better 16-18 year olds too, almost given up doing this this summer due to the pandemic but our academy needs proper investment and similar ambition to what they have for the first team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2020 at 16:16, Ric Flair said:

I called for it, didn't think it would be this bad bit perhaps this is all part of promoting a new strategy, can't expect immediate results when age groups have been held back for so long. The U16's have some real talent that hopefully can be fast tracked in to the U18's and then in to the U23's a bit quicker. We need to start recruiting better 16-18 year olds too, almost given up doing this this summer due to the pandemic but our academy needs proper investment and similar ambition to what they have for the first team.

Apart from Will Alves, any idea who’s in our Under 16s?

Announced today by both Cavalry FC and the Canadian Premier League, 17yo forward Aribim Pepple on trial with the Foxes. I haven't seen him play much, would be interested to see how his trial goes. Given his age and the level of the CPL I'm assuming he'll be with a development/age group squad. 

https://canpl.ca/article/cavalry-fcs-aribim-pepple-on-trial-with-premier-leagues-leicester-city

Appearances last night:

Mitch Clark (6.3 - 90 mins) - Cambridge 3-1 Port Vale

Darnell Johnson (6.5 - 90 mins) - Wigan 0-1 Peterborough

Sam Hughes (6.1 - 90 mins) - Burton 0-1 Rochdale

George Hirst (Bench - 0 mins) - Nottingham Forest 1-1 Rotherham

Josh Knight (6.1 - 90 mins) - Reading 1-0 Wycombe

Not a good night last night for our loanees, every player who played was on the losing side

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Appearances last night:

Mitch Clark (6.3 - 90 mins) - Cambridge 3-1 Port Vale

Darnell Johnson (6.5 - 90 mins) - Wigan 0-1 Peterborough

Sam Hughes (6.1 - 90 mins) - Burton 0-1 Rochdale

George Hirst (Bench - 0 mins) - Nottingham Forest 1-1 Rotherham

Josh Knight (6.1 - 90 mins) - Reading 1-0 Wycombe

Not a good night last night for our loanees, every player who played was on the losing side

So that’s the first team , U23’s and loanees all on the same page - that’s planning !!!

• Haha 1

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/town-chief-explains-why-foxes-midfielder-dewsbury-hall-yet-feature-3010293

Luton boss Nathan Jones has explained just why transfer deadline day loan signing from Leicester City Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall hasn’t featured for the Hatters yet.

The 22-year-old moved to Kenilworth Road last Friday, although his addition was too late to be included in the 2-0 defeat against Stoke City at the weekend.

It was thought that he might have been in the squad to face Millwall last night, but although being involved in the warm-up, didn't make the final 18.

After a second successive 2-0 reverse, Jones admitted that having the wait for a coronavirus test to come back negative put paid to any plans to include the highly-rated Foxes youngster.

He said: “He hadn't trained as we had to wait for a test.

“We had him in late on Friday, so he watched the game on Saturday, expected to train Sunday, Monday then we had to give him a test because of certain stuff.

"It was negative, then we could put him in.

“Honestly the stuff goes on behind, people will question it, ‘where’s he? Where’s he?

"The stuff that goes on behind the scenes now is really difficult, so people have to bear with you now throughout.”

On 18/10/2020 at 21:05, lcfc sheff said:

I could be on my own with this opinion but think Daley-Campbell genuinely looks a decent player 

The guy we got from Arsenal or someone? I only watched very briefly but I couldn't decide, probably better than most but I didn't look on the same level of Hamza, Barnes, Knight etc was at but then I only watched last year or something. I don't know why he was released tbh.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

The guy we got from Arsenal or someone? I only watched very briefly but I couldn't decide, probably better than most but I didn't look on the same level of Hamza, Barnes, Knight etc was at but then I only watched last year or something. I don't know why he was released tbh.

Think he’s got all the right attributes to make it at a decent level as a fullback, but mind you we’ve got an embarrassment of riches in that department. Definitely not on barnes level but think he could be on hamzas and knights if given a loan move to prove himself