Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

Goals are in the link

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1831351/beaglehole-leicesters-youngsters-were-magnificent

Beaglehole: Leicester's Youngsters Were Magnificent
DEVELOPMENT SQUAD
Published 1 hr 17 mins ago

Following Monday's 2-0 victory at Manchester United in Premier League 2 Division 1, coach Steve Beaglehole was full of praise for Leicester City's Development Squad.

- Coach Steve Beaglehole was delighted by the nature of their performance against the Red Devils

City were dominant at Leigh Sports Village, twice hitting the woodwork, before Ali Reghba opened the scoring on day one in the league with a smart finish after a mix-up at the back.

The away side's performance was rewarded further in the latter moments as full-back Mitch Clark advanced before hitting a 25-yard rocket beyond goalkeeper Ondrej Mastny.

It means Leicester's youngsters have a 100 per cent record from their opening two games of 2020/21 after also defeating Hull City in the EFL Trophy group stage last week.

Reflecting on an encouraging opening to the new campaign, the Club's Senior Professional Development Phase Coach was delighted with the nature of their performances so far.

"We’ve had a great pre-season and they've returned and continued that winning mentality," Beaglehole told LCFC TV. "We had to work exceptionally hard tonight to keep a clean sheet.

"They've [Manchester United] got some young players, but they've spent a lot of money on those players, and they've got a great recruitment system going now, you know.

DEVELOPMENT SQUAD Video published 2 hrs 52 mins ago Video duration 06:27
Beaglehole's Delight After Dominant Man Utd Display
Senior Professional Development Phase Coach Steve Beaglehole reflects on the Leicester City Development Squad's 2-0 win at Manchester United.

"They're up for every young player around in Europe and they've shown what they can do against physical players with Salford.

"So, I'm not going to take anything away from our lads tonight. I thought they were magnificent. To keep a clean sheet… I thought we defended magnificently.

"And then, when they did actually break through, the 'keeper Jakub [Stolarczyk] made two or three magnificent saves, absolutely top, top-drawer.

"I'm struggling to say to you who's the Man of the Match because I thought, again, like against Hull, a lot of the players got good marks - 7 or 8. They did their jobs well.

"They were very well disciplined again. I think the team, with Ben [Petty] particularly, are a very well-coached, disciplined, side; good in possession, good out of possession.

DEVELOPMENT SQUAD Video published 13 hrs 50 mins ago Video duration 02:15
Goals: Manchester United U23s 0 Leicester City U23s 2
Watch both goals as the Club's youngsters opened their Premier League 2 Division 1 campaign with an away win at Manchester United.

"It's really, really pleasing and, to come here, and play them with the quality they've got, the athleticism they've got and not concede is a big testimony to the way the lads have played."

While Reghba's opener came about due to City's high press, Clark's was a moment of individual brilliance - and Beaglehole was thrilled with the away side's attacking threat. 

"We took the game to them," he continued. "We pressed them high, we won it back, and I think we hit the woodwork two times in the first 10-15 minutes.

"To go in again without scoring [at half-time] was a bit unfortunate. But the big goal was to keep a clean sheet because I think they will score a lot of goals against a lot of teams.

"I was particularly pleased that we did keep them out and stop them opening us up. And then our goals were terrific.

"Ali Reghba, you know, he'd had one or two chances and I keep saying to him: pull the trigger. It's a great finish, you know.

"He battled his socks off up there against two good, young defenders, good centre-halves and Mitch Clark's goal... fantastic.

"Coming inside from that left-back position and to finish like that from 20-odd yards was terrific. So, a really, really good performance. Very pleasing."

Just now, davieG said:

Senior Professional Development Phase Coach Steve Beaglehole reflects on the Leicester City Development Squad's 2-0 win at Manchester United.

"They're up for every young player around in Europe and they've shown what they can do against physical players with Salford.

"So, I'm not going to take anything away from our lads tonight. I thought they were magnificent. To keep a clean sheet… I thought we defended magnificently.

"And then, when they did actually break through, the 'keeper Jakub [Stolarczyk] made two or three magnificent saves, absolutely top, top-drawer.

"I'm struggling to say to you who's the Man of the Match because I thought, again, like against Hull, a lot of the players got good marks - 7 or 8. They did their jobs well.

"They were very well disciplined again. I think the team, with Ben [Petty] particularly, are a very well-coached, disciplined, side; good in possession, good out of possession.

So Petty is the direct U23s coach and Beaglehole presumable oversees it all?

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/under-23s-match-report-man-united-v-leicester-pl2-14-sep#

YOUNG REDS LEARN LEICESTER LESSON
byEditorialTeamMonday 14 September 2020 21:33Share With twitter Share With facebook 
Manchester United’s Under-23s came out second best in our opening match of the Premier League 2 Division One season, going down 2-0 to Leicester City on Monday evening at Leigh Sports Village.

It what was a thoroughly enjoyable evening’s football in pleasant conditions albeit with the stadium deserted but for the exception of players, staff and media.

The visitors, who were physical opponents, proved to be the more accurate in front of goal, when it really mattered, to claim the three points with two second-half goals.
Both United and Leicester finished as runners-up in their respective tables last season, United’s second-place, of course, leading to promotion to the top division.

So the scene was set for an entertaining curtain-raiser to the new season and the opening to the game didn’t disappoint.

Both teams launched into the contest in a breathless manner and the visitors were the first to threaten. Khanya Leshabela slammed a cracking drive against the frame of Ondrej Mastny’s goal in only the sixth minute and, soon after, Mitchell Clark’s shot was narrowly wide of the target.

Leicester defender Vontae Daley-Campbell was one of five Foxes players who would be booked, after fouling Anthony Elanga on the edge of the penalty area, and only an unkind deflection prevented skipper James Garner’s free-kick from putting United into the lead.

Mastny’s woodwork was rattled again, a few minutes later, by long-range strike by Connor Hulme and the visitors must have started to wonder if Lady Luck was going to be on their side.

Hannibal made a surging run upfield, in the moments before half-time, but couldn’t finish what appeared to be promising break. Then, on the stroke of half-time, United should have scored but Elanga's finish to a Martin Svidersky pass was kept out by Jakub Stolarczyk, with the follow-up also blocked.

Nothing changed following the resumption as both teams continued to put the emphasis firmly on attack and, on the hour, it was Leicester who were celebrating after Ali Reghba gave them the lead. The former Bohemians striker, who escaped a red card for a dangerous tackle on Connor Stanley in the first half, profited after Di'Shon Bernard's attempted clearance unluckily cannoned off Garner and fell kindly for the visitors.

Overall, there was little to separate the teams in terms of an appetite to go forward and attacking endeavour but the visitors were edging it in the goal attempts column, with Mastny making a couple of smart stops. Nonetheless, United's response to going behind was impressive with Elanga doing his level best to hunt an equaliser. After receiving a fine pass by Bernard, his shot lacked the power to beat Stolarczyk.
Five minutes from time, United’s hopes of gleaning some reward from the evening evaporated when full-back Clark scored to double the advantage. The defender, who had just been booked for needlessly shoving Hannibal to the ground, showed his experience from over half-a-century of games on loan at Port Vale by driving into space and unleashing a fine shot past Mastny.

Even with the game seemingly lost, the hosts still attempted to notch a consolation but Shola Shoretire, brought on for his Premier League 2 debut at the tender age of 16, was denied by the quick reflexes of Stolarczyk and Garner crashed a deflected shot inches wide in stoppage time.

This was always going to be a stern test for Neil Wood's side, without several key players and up against strong rivals who went the course and distance last term and this should prove another important part of the youngsters' education.

Next up in the league, a week on Friday, is a home game against Liverpool, which will also be live on MUTV.

MATCH DETAILS

United 0 Leicester 2 (Reghba 60, Clark 85)

United: Mastny; Ercolani, Fish, Bernard, Svidersky; Garner (c), Galbraith; Stanley (Shoretire 65), Hannibal, Elanga; Helm.

Subs not used: Carney, Neville, Taylor, McCann.  

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Does this mean we will bringing In a striker?

I presumed that Hirst was third choice?

I still think in the Premier League Perez would have been third choice, possibly even Gray and Barnes before Hirst would start a first team game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Does this mean we will bringing In a striker?

I presumed that Hirst was third choice?

Wouldn't bank on it.

Vardy, Iheanacho and Perez are all strikers by trade, and Barnes/Gray have both had games up top before. If we stick with playing 1 up front there's no need to keep a youngster around as 5th/6th choice for one position.

22 hours ago, davieG said:

So Petty is the direct U23s coach and Beaglehole presumable oversees it all?

I think that's a good idea actually. I guess Beaglehole is essentially a 'Head of Youth' type for the U18 and 23's, so oversees everything.

Edited by AjcW
I'm a ****ing idiot

1 minute ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Is this a play on words as to the style of football played by our u23's?

Hopefully Petty will change the style and seems to be doing so. I guess it depends on who sets the playing guidelines Rodgers or Beaglehole.

• Like 1

Got their work cut out tonight. Everton looking strong and physical. Will be interesting to see what Beaglehole and Petty do to contain the Everton No's 7 and 9 in the second half. Wouldn't put it past Beaglehole to find the solution though.  

Disappointing not to see Tavares feature, hopefully that means he's going to be in the squad for Wednesday but I'm not convinced he will. Therefore, are we really serious about securing his long term future here? He's better than U23 football but even that's a level we have seldom awarded him with here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Disappointing not to see Tavares feature, hopefully that means he's going to be in the squad for Wednesday but I'm not convinced he will. Therefore, are we really serious about securing his long term future here? He's better than U23 football but even that's a level we have seldom awarded him with here.

Is this a Hirst at Wednesday situation? He won’t sign a contract so we’re refusing to play him? :(