Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We can't do that if they have a contract. It'll be just keeping them fit and providing games for players coming back from injury.

Well sure, move them on if they're surplus to requirements. Whether it be loan or selling cheap. Even if it means paying a % of the wage

Just seems like a bodged fix to me rather than sorting out the problem.

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Well sure, move them on if they're surplus to requirements. Whether it be loan or selling cheap. Even if it means paying a % of the wage

Just seems like a bodged fix to me rather than sorting out the problem.

I'm sure they'd like to but somebody's got to want to loan them off us first, it helps if you keep them fit. You could also play them in cup games. We're paying their wages anyway, what's the problem?

Guest An Sionnach

As a top premiership club our younger players should only be loaned to second tier clubs or higher anything else is a waste of their talents and will probably stunt them.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

As a top premiership club our younger players should only be loaned to second tier clubs or higher anything else is a waste of their talents and will probably stunt them.

What?

So you think Dewsbury-Hall going to Blackpool and showing good quality last season was a waste and instead he should've been playing in our reserves all season instead? Or Iversen and Knight impressing for Rotherham and Peterborough?

And that's just a few examples from this year!

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
15 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

What?

So you think Dewsbury-Hall going to Blackpool and showing good quality last season was a waste and instead he should've been playing in our reserves all season instead? Or Iversen and Knight impressing for Rotherham and Peterborough?

And that's just a few examples from this yea

Our 'reserves' beat a fair few of those teams last season. We are a team aspiring to the champions league , we don't loan our players out to that standard of football , they will learn nothing.

10 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Our 'reserves' beat a fair few of those teams last season. We are a team aspiring to the champions league , we don't loan our players out to that standard of football , they will learn nothing.

Barnes had a loan at League 1 MK Dons and Hamza had loans at League 1 Burton before making our squad, you think they learnt nothing and wasted that time when it propelled them onto Championship loans and nearer to our first team?

Also even if players we loan out aren't always going to play for us, I'm pretty sure we'd be likelier to get more money from their sales if they have proven themselves in league football. Your argument makes no sense.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
44 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

Barnes had a loan at League 1 MK Dons and Hamza had loans at League 1 Burton before making our squad, you think they learnt nothing and wasted that time when it propelled them onto Championship loans and nearer to our first team?

Also even if players we loan out aren't always going to play for us, I'm pretty sure we'd be likelier to get more money from their sales if they have proven themselves in league football. Your argument makes no sense.

Yes , but the thing is our young players , many of whom have already  played in age group internationals, are an elite group.  Leicester City are a top premiership team , our young players will not get the qualities they need playing in front of 1200 people in Scunthorpe. Some would say that Barnes and Choudury would have been better equipped being introduced as substitutes in premiership games at an earlier age. There is nothing to stop you using these U23 players as Thomas and Hirst have proved.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

With the greatest of respect to them, I can't see too many champions league teams queuing up to sign Dewsbury-Hall and Knight on loan. If there's no premier league or championship teams interested in our youth players, we can't force them to take them

50 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Some would say that Barnes and Choudury would have been better equipped being introduced as substitutes in premiership games at an earlier age

I’m sure they would but with so much at stake and the job of a PL Manager so precarious it isn’t likely to happen unless you’re regularly winning games by 3 or more goal and 15 minutes left to play or a relatively end of season game / early cup game. 

You've then got to keep the fringe 1st team squad match fit with cameo appearances and to fit in several academy kids

So the number of opportunities is limited and not going to benefit them sitting on the bench for most games.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Each player is on their own development pathway, you loan to the level that addresses thier development needs! 

2 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Looks like they have a friendly at St. George’s Park this morning judging by Mitch Clark’s Instagram story. Anyone know who against? Maybe a burton Albion side?

Ive just been past there to go some adventure farm park, wish I'd known, I'd have snuck in.

On 16/08/2020 at 14:23, Webbo said:

We can't do that if they have a contract. It'll be just keeping them fit and providing games for players coming back from injury.

...sounds more like marginalising Beaglehole, before he decides to walk!!!

I suppose the U23s will now contain up and coming players way below the age limit as per the majority of the other clubs.

8 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Any news on who will be in the 'inbetweeners' squad and who will be part of the U23 squad?

I'd imagine some of the better U19s/U21s will be moving up to the U23s.

I don't see why this will lead to more U18's moving up to the U23's, unless Petty has different ideas than Beaglehole. Steve training fringe over age players won't necessarily mean they are going to have games lined up to play because there's not going to be loads of them. Last season for example there was only Matty James, Amartey, Kaputska, Jakupovic and Mendy. 

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I suppose the U23s will now contain up and coming players way below the age limit as per the majority of the other clubs.

Hopefully this is the case and we can start blooding our younger talent into higher tier games. We shouldn't be clogging our u23 pathways with players who won't make it into the first team. We should be doing what bigger teams do and loaning them out before selling them on. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't see why this will lead to more U18's moving up to the U23's, unless Petty has different ideas than Beaglehole. Steve training fringe over age players won't necessarily mean they are going to have games lined up to play because there's not going to be loads of them. Last season for example there was only Matty James, Amartey, Kaputska, Jakupovic and Mendy. 

Perhaps not. Put it down to wishful thinking and transfer window boredom 😉.

I'd be curious to hear why Petty has taken on the U23s role and Beaglehole has moved to training those you mention though. A soft way to phase Steve out, perhaps?

• Like 1

Just now, CloudFox said:

Perhaps not. Put it down to wishful thinking and transfer window boredom 😉.

I'd be curious to hear why Petty has taken on the U23s role and Beaglehole has moved to training those you mention though. A soft way to phase Steve out, perhaps?

I really hope this is the start of a change, there's the nucleus of some good stuff going on in our academy, just think they need to be a bit quicker in the conveyor belt between U18's to U23's and loan moves.

EFL Trophy group stage draw, we will be added tomorrow in a weird draw thing they have going on. The Mansfield, Lincoln, Scunthorpe Group could be the best for us in terms of travel. It would be fun to see our young lads beat Hull though.

8124A0D8-67A1-4274-9C35-388CA5649627.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

EFL Trophy group stage draw, we will be added tomorrow in a weird draw thing they have going on. The Mansfield, Lincoln, Scunthorpe Group could be the best for us in terms of travel. It would be fun to see our young lads beat Hull though.

8124A0D8-67A1-4274-9C35-388CA5649627.jpeg

It was today.

We got Grimsby, Harrogate and Hull.

• Like 1