Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

For all the good players we’ve produced are U23 side seems to be especially poor at the minute. Completely mismanaged with far too much sentiment involved. Players who clearly aren’t going to make the cut still getting a chance because they’re “good lads” is ridiculous. Time there were some big changes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

For all the good players we’ve produced are U23 side seems to be especially poor at the minute. Completely mismanaged with far too much sentiment involved. Players who clearly aren’t going to make the cut still getting a chance because they’re “good lads” is ridiculous. Time there were some big changes.

Clearly to whom? Most of this thread wrote off KDH and VDC.

And who exactly said they're getting chances because they're "good lads"?

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Clearly to whom? Most of this thread wrote off KDH and VDC.

And who exactly said they're getting chances because they're "good lads"?

Ndukwu springs to mind. I don’t know if there are contractual issues there but after his failed League 2 loan surely the time was to part companies. 

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Is Wakering actually good? Seems to get a goal in each game.

It's very difficult to know how being decent at U23 level can translate in to first team level. The bits I've seen of him he looks good but then so did George Hirst at the same level and his 2 loan spells in professional football have been horrible. Likewise KDH looked nothing special in the U23's and then is Blackpool and Luton's best player they've had on loan in years. 

The common denominator is that they need first team football to gauge it properly and I'd rather we get them exposed to that as much as possible, even if our U23's are dog shit whilst the U16'd and U18's propel up the age groups to transition this.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's very difficult to know how being decent at U23 level can translate in to first team level. The bits I've seen of him he looks good but then so did George Hirst at the same level and his 2 loan spells in professional football have been horrible. Likewise KDH looked nothing special in the U23's and then is Blackpool and Luton's best player they've had on loan in years. 

The common denominator is that they need first team football to gauge it properly and I'd rather we get them exposed to that as much as possible, even if our U23's are dog shit whilst the U16'd and U18's propel up the age groups to transition this.

The club needs to invest in setting up a clearer route from academy to 1st team. I know Brendan has spoken about it a lot but we really do need to move beyond Beaglehole and get in a proper manager that has the same ideologies as Brendan in to take over the U23s. Could be someone that can take over from Rodgers when he eventually leaves as well.

Especially now we've got the training ground. Start getting a uniformed approach to coaching the kids. Become a bit of a mini-Dortmund if you like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

The club needs to invest in setting up a clearer route from academy to 1st team. I know Brendan has spoken about it a lot but we really do need to move beyond Beaglehole and get in a proper manager that has the same ideologies as Brendan in to take over the U23s. Could be someone that can take over from Rodgers when he eventually leaves as well.

Especially now we've got the training ground. Start getting a uniformed approach to coaching the kids. Become a bit of a mini-Dortmund if you like.

If we were mid table or championship that could happen but we're aiming for the top 4/trophies. Playing the strongest possible side is more important than bringing on kids.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If we were mid table or championship that could happen but we're aiming for the top 4/trophies. Playing the strongest possible side is more important than bringing on kids.

More about keeping the conveyorbelt running.

We're where we are because we've been able to sell players for mega money. Keeping a strong academy makes that more likely to be able to happen.

Whilst results are not everything at U18 & U23 level, can it be doing these lads any good to be losing every match, sometimes getting thrashed. It could well be that the U23s  will get relegated & thus be playing at a lower standard next season, which will not improve matters. 

If we are not careful we could get relagted from PL2. The 2 teams behind us have 3 games in hand each.

I hope BR is battling behind the scenes to get some sort of order and fluidity to the development teams of all ages and making sure that there are changes to our recruitment of talent and release of players before they become too old in their respective age groups.

43 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Ndukwu springs to mind. I don’t know if there are contractual issues there but after his failed League 2 loan surely the time was to part companies. 

So nobody except you said they’re getting chances only because they’re good lads? Ndukwu hasn’t been in the squad for a while.

17 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

If we are not careful we could get relagted from PL2. The 2 teams behind us have 3 games in hand each.

I hope BR is battling behind the scenes to get some sort of order and fluidity to the development teams of all ages and making sure that there are changes to our recruitment of talent and release of players before they become too old in their respective age groups.

It's not helping that due to the pandemic that they seemingly have to keep the U23's and first team apart.

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

...I suspect Rodgers is losing the battle with the re-structuring of the academy!!!

It was announced at the start of the season that Beaglehole was to take up another position but we still find him in the same position that he has been for years. There was a noticeable change in our style for a short while but we have reverted to type. I do not think Rodgers can effect the changes that he requires in order to create a linear progress of this club in terms of its structure.

If at present he is receiving pushback from the people running the academy we could run the risk of Rodgers deciding that he cannot progress the club in the manner he had envisaged.

Now this is just speculation but if we are to improve the fate of the academy there will have to be an incredible fall out and disruption to make it happen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I suspect Rodgers is losing the battle with the re-structuring of the academy!!!

It was announced at the start of the season that Beaglehole was to take up another position but we still find him in the same position that he has been for years. There was a noticeable change in our style for a short while but we have reverted to type. I do not think Rodgers can effect the changes that he requires in order to create a linear progress of this club in terms of its structure.

If at present he is receiving pushback from the people running the academy we could run the risk of Rodgers deciding that he cannot progress the club in the manner he had envisaged.

Now this is just speculation but if we are to improve the fate of the academy there will have to be an incredible fall out and disruption to make it happen.

100%

I think Rodgers taking the best part of 5-10 players out the U23's now for the rest of the season to train with the first team is a systematic decision to get those closest to training and playing exactly how the first team do. If that's not a message to those above then I don't know what is.

No chance, more likely his a little busy dealing with the first team situation, which has been made more tricky by the pandemic, shortened pre season, fight with injuries, fighting in 3 competition.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Rodgers taking the best part of 5-10 players out the U23's now for the rest of the season to train with the first team is a systematic decision to get those closest to training and playing exactly how the first team do. If that's not a message to those above then I don't know what is.

I think you are reading far to much into things, this isn't the season to be restructuring the academy.

Once things are back to normal, things will change.

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think you are reading far to much into things, this isn't the season to be restructuring the academy.

Once things are back to normal, things will change.

By him taking them all out we will get relegated from PL2 but maybe that's needed to shake things up. If we could tinge to play some hideous football at U23's it is better that the most advanced ones are training with our first team anyway.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

By him taking them all out we will get relegated from PL2 but maybe that's needed to shake things up. If we could tinge to play some hideous football at U23's it is better that the most advanced ones are training with our first team anyway.

I think it he's way of assessing them up close, I think it the first step in him overhauling the top layer of players in the under 23's, I think you see in the summer a cull of most of the older boys except any that have impressed. 

I think Beaglehole will be moved sideways and a new coaching setup to be introduced. 

The club has culled a lot of the deadwood from the first team squad, I expect the same knife to be applied to the Academy.

• Like 1