Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

18 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

To be fair, there's little debate in this thread. It's just a "Steve out, Steve out, Steve out" thread. Academy player does badly? Steve out. Academy player does well? Steve out. New academy complex? Steve out. U23s do well in the league? Steve out. U23s do badly in the league? Steve out.

You always manage to try and defend him though so it's not all negativity.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

To be fair, there's little debate in this thread. It's just a "Steve out, Steve out, Steve out" thread. Academy player does badly? Steve out. Academy player does well? Steve out. New academy complex? Steve out. U23s do well in the league? Steve out. U23s do badly in the league? Steve out.

.....perhaps it proves there are no debates to be had on this issue and the conclusion is what has been stated!!!

50 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Yep you’re right. Steve Out.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You always manage to try and defend him though so it's not all negativity.

I know. It feels like I've backed myself into a corner!

Increasingly it feels a bit like this: you know when you're in a bar. And you notice the only woman there is the barmaid. And everyone's well dressed. And in twos. And you start to wonder.... I'm... I'm... I'm not... I'm not in a "soccer mom's" thread, right? lol

(Full disclosure. My interest is purely academic. I'll demand multiple DNA tests if mine get anywhere near professional sports...)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I do appreciate that tbf, but I think for me a lot of it boils down to the notion that we've brought a very decent chunk of players through, and whilst Beaglehole does likely deserve some credit for that, I don't think you can say it was specifically him as the catalyst for doing so; it was likely a number of different youth coaches and the academy setup in general to thank for that. Which isn't to say he shouldn't get any plaudits for his part in it, but I find it unlikely he was the only contributing factor.

On the other hand, the abject playstyle of his team is something directly under his control. I don't think you can necessarily blame him for the fact we're struggling this season, the U18s are as well and that's not his jurisdiction for example. but the way we play at the moment is dire, and as the U23 manager it is him picking said tactics. It's also as far as I can tell exactly him picking who to play for the U23s and who to progress from the lower age groups, and albeit this season has been markedly better, he has in the past, as widely noted, ignored technical players for more physical ones when choosing players to move up the ranks.

I'd be happy for him to stay were he to change his focus towards changing how the unders play in line with the first team, and to his credit we are now loaning out more of our players, and as of right now there are far more players under 20/21 in the U21 lineups, which a lot of us have been crying out for for ages. Right now though, I feel as if we could do better and I feel as if that's not an unpopular feeling, despite the highs of recent prospect - and I can only judge him on the things he is directly in charge of, which I feel could be better.

Edited by The_Rorab
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-rules-out-re-5000731?fbclid=IwAR3P6BZH1HRw0Ej5vyGLWdhFkedIjYXoo5J1F_UrG2AmfTVYnFumCJFuEE8

Brendan Rodgers rules out re-signing title-winner to fill James Justin void
The title-winning right-back filled a gap for the Under-23s this week as he builds his fitness amid a search for a new club, but it not going to be offered a deal

Simpson has spent time training with the club to allow him to keep up his fitness amid his search for a new side, but Rodgers ruled out looking at the 34-year-old as a stop-gap signing for the rest of the season.

He said the right-back was simply helping to fill a short-on-numbers development outfit, as well as to allow him to build match fitness.

I can’t believe Brendan even had to address this 

20 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I can’t believe Brendan even had to address this 

Probably because on theirs and the Mercs FB page where it was noted that he'd signed and was playing there were plenty saying give him a longer contract etc.

45 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I do appreciate that tbf, but I think for me a lot of it boils down to the notion that we've brought a very decent chunk of players through, and whilst Beaglehole does likely deserve some credit for that, I don't think you can say it was specifically him as the catalyst for doing so; it was likely a number of different youth coaches and the academy setup in general to thank for that. Which isn't to say he shouldn't get any plaudits for his part in it, but I find it unlikely he was the only contributing factor.

On the other hand, the abject playstyle of his team is something directly under his control. I don't think you can necessarily blame him for the fact we're struggling this season, the U18s are as well and that's not his jurisdiction for example. but the way we play at the moment is dire, and as the U23 manager it is him picking said tactics. It's also as far as I can tell exactly him picking who to play for the U23s and who to progress from the lower age groups, and albeit this season has been markedly better, he has in the past, as widely noted, ignored technical players for more physical ones when choosing players to move up the ranks.

I'd be happy for him to stay were he to change his focus towards changing how the unders play in line with the first team, and to his credit we are now loaning out more of our players, and as of right now there are far more players under 20/21 in the U21 lineups, which a lot of us have been crying out for for ages. Right now though, I feel as if we could do better and I feel as if that's not an unpopular feeling, despite the highs of recent prospect - and I can only judge him on the things he is directly in charge of, which I feel could be better.

Agree with most of what you say @The_Rorab, apart from this bit, do we really think it's his decision to suddenly start sending players out on loan or has that directive come from elsewhere? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

To be honest the fact that the academy has produced two massive financial assets in Chilwell and Barnes justifies enough of their work.

Players might be talented but it goes way beyond just what the coaches or manager can do with them, even if maybe they can do more, but like someone mentioned previously, everyone can in any role. 

...I think with a lot of respect, both players have had little contact with the U23s and have not been institutionalised within that system!!!

I suspect other players coming through such as, Hamza, KDH and Josh Knight have had extensive stays in that environment but appears to be to their detriment. It should be interesting to see the career stats of Luke Thomas, Sidney Tavares might just be benefitting  from any omission from the U23s, he just does not realise it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

Which U23 players do we reckon It is then? Would explain why we had a few random trialists playing the other night against Man City.

Hard to decipher given a load of them are now training with the 1st team but there were a few who played vs Blackburn last week and then were missing vs Man City this week....

http://sportwitness.co.uk/vardy-started-calling-lurch-defender-recalls-leicester-spell-players-baffled-shoe-size/

“Vardy started calling me Lurch” – Defender recalls ‘great’ Leicester spell, players baffled at shoe size
By Naveen Ullal - 18th February 2021

Brendan Rodgers will take his men to Czech Republic as Leicester City take on SK Slavia Prague in the first leg of the Europa League round of 32 tie on Thursday.

To preview the clash between the two sides, MF Dnes Prague interviewed former Foxes defender Lukáš Hušek, who currently represents Slavia’s local rivals, Sparta Prague.

Having arrived in England in 2016, the centre-back spent four years with the Premier League side’s academy, without representing their first team. The 20-year-old detailed why it never really worked out for him at Leicester.

“When I was 18, I played, I was vice captain, but the jump was too big for me. Three older guys got in front of me, and the coaches indicated that there wasn’t that much room left for me. So, a year ago in the winter, I moved to Sparta,” Hušek said.

Leicester City v Watford: FA Youth Cup Quarter Final : News Photo

Embed from Getty Images

Despite not featuring for Leicester’s senior team, the Czech Republican footballer admits he had a “great experience” with the English club.

During his time at King Power, the player had regular opportunities to train with Rodgers’ men.

Hušek came across star striker Jamie Vardy and there one specific aspect, which confused as few of the Leicester players, particularly Kasper Schmeichel.

“The boys immediately noticed the size of my football shoes; I have size 12 UK shoes. The goalkeeper Schmeichel did not understand how I could play football with that,” he explained.

When asked to share his views of Vardy, Hušek revealed the England international came up with a nickname for him.

“Jamie Vardy and the junior coach started calling me Lurch after a character from The Addams family. Such a tall, ugly…” he added.

“[Vardy is] totally crazy. He keeps whistling and his specialty is scaring. He waits for someone in the hallway and knocks on the back. Even the lady from the laundry room.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Tyrese shade put some training clips up that look like they are from bel our drive. Have the u23s and youth team not moved across to the new site yet? Would explain when 23s and lcfc women for talking if both are training at bel our drive at the same time? 

He posted this earlier, so I think those clips are from when he was last playing before he got injured. The Man City game on Monday was his first time in the squad since October

A3F73902-2A37-483E-9E14-561BA22F4278.jpeg

Edited by moore_94