Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it he's way of assessing them up close, I think it the first step in him overhauling the top layer of players in the under 23's, I think you see in the summer a cull of most of the older boys except any that have impressed. 

I think Beaglehole will be moved sideways and a new coaching setup to be introduced. 

The club has culled a lot of the deadwood from the first team squad, I expect the same knife to be applied to the Academy.

Yeah I agree, which is what I was alluding to in my first post. I think Rodgers has taken it upon himself to do the assessment and sorting process, rather than leave them in the 23's to see if they do well, get a loan move etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Rodgers taking the best part of 5-10 players out the U23's now for the rest of the season to train with the first team is a systematic decision to get those closest to training and playing exactly how the first team do. If that's not a message to those above then I don't know what is.

I agree with this. I think Rodgers has reached a point with it, with Tavares’ development in particular, where he thinks he’ll get more out of him by having him train in a first team environment 5/6 days a week than he would getting battered every Monday night with the ball spending half of the game above head height. 

Basically... First team training > That god awful 23’s set up.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

By him taking them all out we will get relegated from PL2 but maybe that's needed to shake things up. If we could tinge to play some hideous football at U23's it is better that the most advanced ones are training with our first team anyway.

...this could be primarily down to player injuries and effective "Bubbles"!!!

We can not go from Bubble to Bubble in order to effectively combat the spread of the virus.

A reasonable good use of the squad but detrimental to the U23s. 

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it he's way of assessing them up close, I think it the first step in him overhauling the top layer of players in the under 23's, I think you see in the summer a cull of most of the older boys except any that have impressed. 

I think Beaglehole will be moved sideways and a new coaching setup to be introduced. 

The club has culled a lot of the deadwood from the first team squad, I expect the same knife to be applied to the Academy.

What makes you think this?

16 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I suspect Rodgers is losing the battle with the re-structuring of the academy!!!

It was announced at the start of the season that Beaglehole was to take up another position but we still find him in the same position that he has been for years. There was a noticeable change in our style for a short while but we have reverted to type. I do not think Rodgers can effect the changes that he requires in order to create a linear progress of this club in terms of its structure.

If at present he is receiving pushback from the people running the academy we could run the risk of Rodgers deciding that he cannot progress the club in the manner he had envisaged.

Now this is just speculation but if we are to improve the fate of the academy there will have to be an incredible fall out and disruption to make it happen.

Yeah I thought too that Beaglehole was entering into a new position but clearly not. He appears bullish during interviews and that only comes with longevity. 

I'm going to guess that Beaglehole might just be the problem when discussing changes to the academy simply because it's always been done "his way" and for so long now. 

The other question remaining is how much sway he has with the dof and whether or not he is actually resisting change. Hypothetically if that was the answer then I would expect the club to move him on and embrace change. Change doesn't need to be drastic but with the set up and structure of ours that hasnt changed for so long, it doesn't speak volumes of the club in attracting talent.

Lastly BR is the manager and head coach of LCFC. My point being is that he should be able to call some shots over Beaglehole if he needed too. I would've expected change to be done and dusted when moving into the new training ground but apparently not.

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not helping that due to the pandemic that they seemingly have to keep the U23's and first team apart.

Is that part of covid bubbles? It should be easy given that the building is split so much so that the development players would be going into the opposite side of the building as the first team and the pitches are either side of the building too. I guess it's all in the timing!

• Like 1

One step backwards and then two forward I wonder...

Could we actually be going out of our way to be relegated on purpose?

We've seen the disaster that can ensue when Paulo Sousa came in and tried to change the style over night. It was pure carnage!

Could it be that if we get relegated we could start to change things without getting mullered every game helping with the confidence of fragile youngsters?

I know this sounds ridiculous but there isn't really a massive financial benefit at that level.

25 minutes ago, Collymore said:

One step backwards and then two forward I wonder...

Could we actually be going out of our way to be relegated on purpose?

We've seen the disaster that can ensue when Paulo Sousa came in and tried to change the style over night. It was pure carnage!

Could it be that if we get relegated we could start to change things without getting mullered every game helping with the confidence of fragile youngsters?

I know this sounds ridiculous but there isn't really a massive financial benefit at that level.

It matters to bringing youth players to the club.

And more importantly bringing coaches to the club!

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

It matters to bringing youth players to the club.

And more importantly bringing coaches to the club!

I think some top coaches would jump at the chance to have a clean slate and work in those facilities. 

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

The fact that the U18s look like they're heading the same way too, just seems odd that both teams would nose dive at the same time after years of relative success. 

We have lowered the age of both teams considerably which has caused it. Plus loaned out more than we usually do.

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Surely producing first team players is all the academies purpose is. They are doing a decent job at that! 

I think I’ve heard somewhere that the goal of our academy is just to produce professional footballers. 

• Haha 1

On 10/02/2021 at 13:00, Foxy-Lady said:

This is a Classic example of  "closed loop thinking" (Matthew Syed - "Black Box Thinking")

In the financial world, it doesn't take a genius to turn £1m into £1m.......you judge an investors success by whether he turns £1m into £1 or preferably, whether he can turn £1 into £1m.

Barnes would probably have succeeded at any academy....that doesn't necessarily make us any better than any other academy, its just geography based on where he lived and his application and attitude (with some good coaching input from 'some' excellent coaches through the younger age groups).

As for Ndukwu, there were many clubs who wanted to sign him as a 15-17 year old but leicester didnt want to sell....why do you think that was?

For some reason his development has nose-dived in the past 3-4 years (U23s football??) and while its a fair criticism to blame the player for his apparent lack of application, does that just exonerate the coaches/system from all blame?  If so, you're effectively saying that where players fail its because of them but where players succeed, its because of the coaches and the academy!   

This is a player who other 'bigger' clubs were prepared to pay good money for as a young player but now is effectively worth nothing (ie turning £1m into £1...!)

Sounds like the perfect world to be a coach as you effectively cannot fail......if the player succeeds its because of YOU and if they fail, its because of THEM....but you as a coach remain beyond objective criticism as you have just shown by your comments.

if you view that as negative then fair enough.....personally, i would always try to focus on performance improvement by highlighting areas of weakness and concern and turning them into strengths rather than just accepting it for what it is. 

You focus on negatives only . As a football academy LCFC is doing OK .Could it do better ? yeah , we all can in life .  I bet your great on a night out . 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-rules-out-re-5000731?fbclid=IwAR3P6BZH1HRw0Ej5vyGLWdhFkedIjYXoo5J1F_UrG2AmfTVYnFumCJFuEE8

Brendan Rodgers rules out re-signing title-winner to fill James Justin void
The title-winning right-back filled a gap for the Under-23s this week as he builds his fitness amid a search for a new club, but it not going to be offered a deal

Simpson has spent time training with the club to allow him to keep up his fitness amid his search for a new side, but Rodgers ruled out looking at the 34-year-old as a stop-gap signing for the rest of the season.

He said the right-back was simply helping to fill a short-on-numbers development outfit, as well as to allow him to build match fitness.

2 hours ago, jamesmilner said:

You focus on negatives only . As a football academy LCFC is doing OK .Could it do better ? yeah , we all can in life .  I bet your great on a night out . 

I see you are back to being personal again...?? 

Out of interest, if you think it could do better, what would you propose is done as you seem to want to stifle debate and belittle people who put forward their views?  Or is "OK" good enough for you...?

If you look at my posts in this forum you will see i am rarely negative on any other subject....i just highlight where i think there are deficiencies in our Academy as a result of possibly being better informed than you? 

Just because you believe all the media hype, doesn't mean it necessarily paints the whole picture. Thankfully, we don't all read the SUN newspaper...!

Feel free to tell yourself the sky is blue every day if it makes you happy but it doesn't necessarily make people negative if they tell you it isn't when it isn't ...!

16 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

To be fair, there's little debate in this thread. It's just a "Steve out, Steve out, Steve out" thread. Academy player does badly? Steve out. Academy player does well? Steve out. New academy complex? Steve out. U23s do well in the league? Steve out. U23s do badly in the league? Steve out.

....Steve out!!!

• Haha 1