Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

2 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Really hope this is a load of bollucks. 37 mil on him would really take the gloss off a so far excellent transfer window. 28 years old and just over a year left on his contract should be 20-25 mil max or move on, dont need to be shelling out on panic buying inflated prices.

The problem is a decent CB will cost us 20m anyway. Picture us not signing one, getting a long term injury to Cags, what do we do then? Play Morgan for 30 games? We'd literally be ****ed.

Tarks is English, in his prime, used to the league and a good player (from what I've seen). In an ideal world we'd pay 25m, but they don't want to sell and we need someone badly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The problem is a decent CB will cost us 20m anyway. Picture us not signing one, getting a long term injury to Cags, what do we do then? Play Morgan for 30 games? We'd literally be ****ed.

Tarks is English, in his prime, used to the league and a good player (from what I've seen). In an ideal world we'd pay 25m, but they don't want to sell and we need someone badly.

Of course they want to sell, Tarkowski has gone on strike and refuses to play for them, reading the Burnley forum the fans just want him out. He will be a laughing stock if he dons the claret and blue again!

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas

Tbf transfer fees arent really in your head when you’re watching the game. 

Dont think ive ever seen a fan give one player an easier time for a poor performance because they were cheap. 

If he improves the squad for for the next 5 years the money will be forgotten. 

I’m at a stage where I’d be perfectly happy with Tark, fufu or Tah. 

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I dont think hes a bad player it just doesnt sit well with me a 28 year old cb who isnt anything special becoming our record transfer fee because we are desperate for some cover at the back. I think the English premium part is the exact reason we should be avoiding Prem players like the plague. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Of course they want to sell, Tarkowski has gone on strike and refuses to play for them, reading the Burnley forum the fans just want him out. He will be a laughing stock if he dons the claret and blue again!

Do we risk it though? Leave it till deadline day and what if they don't want to sell? What if he knuckles down and plays there till next summer, what do we do then? Sign Fofana (with no guarantees we'll get him for less than 40m) or get Tah on loan (this could still be a good option).

You get 100m just for staying up, Burnley would rather just risk having an unhappy Tarks for the rest of the season as he'd still probably be a decent player than sell him for 20m. The situation would be totally different in 9 months time, but we need a CB now, and all the selling clubs know it.

33 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The other side of the coin from Burnley's POV is if his head has gone and we won't pay £35m+ then where do they go from here? They have a player who has 21 months left on his contract, the elite clubs don't want him so take them away and who can afford their valuation of him?

if we don't buy him and he doesn't want to go to West Ham then that doesn't leave many other option other than lowering the price or letting his contract run down.

We may need a CB and there are loads of options for us but they might be more desperate for a buyer. I'm happy to let this one run until deadline day if it means getting our price. Even if our play is called by Burnley and ASSE the window opens up again in three months. Buyers market.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Just now, Gerard said:

The other side of the coin from Burnley's POV is if his head has gone and we won't pay £35m+ then where do they go from here? They have a player who has 21 months left on his contract, the elite clubs don't want him so take them away and who can afford their valuation of him?

if we don't buy him and he doesn't want to go to west ham then that doesn't leave many other option other than lowering the price or letting his contract run down.

We may need a CB and there are loads of options for us but they might be more desperate for a buyer. I'm happy to let this one run until deadline day if it means getting our price. Even if our play is called by Burnley and ASSE the window opens up again in three months. Buyers market.

Could well come down to who blinks first.

I just don't fancy getting an injury to Cags or Evans and having to use Morgan for more than 5 games this season, we'll get ruined.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Could well come down to who blinks first.

I just don't fancy getting an injury to Cags or Evans and having to use Morgan for more than 5 games this season, we'll get ruined.

Granted it's not ideal and another top quality CB to compliment Evans and Soyuncu would be ideal. It's not just Morgan though we still have Benkovic and Amartey, not ideal but we do have options and we shouldn't be spooked into overpaying or bringing in someone we're not overly happy with. I still think the likely scenario is we get Fofana in before deadline day. 

Good defender. Comfortable on the ball. No slouch and decent pace. Leader. Premier League experience. International experience. Knows how to defend first with out any gimmicks. £37m for any player is a lot for us because it’s record signing levels. However, for all those qualities, with the market how it is, it’s a deal that from a risk perspective will not let us down. At least that’s how it seems on paper. He doesn’t see to have a billy big bollocks personality either so should fit in with the squad. Hopeful on this one being one we look back on as money well spent. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Admittedly haven’t seen him play much but I my main worry about us defensively is height. I think we need a big centre back (Huth style) as our biggest vulnerability is set pieces. Tarkowski is 6ft1 which isn’t huge for a centre back

The problem with that is big defenders are either slower movers (see Maguire) or if the have pace. absolute world beaters (see Van Dijk). If it’s the former, we sacrifice mobility in our defence and if it’s the latter, they’ll be out of our price range and not available. 

5 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Admittedly haven’t seen him play much but I my main worry about us defensively is height. I think we need a big centre back (Huth style) as our biggest vulnerability is set pieces. Tarkowski is 6ft1 which isn’t huge for a centre back

He wins far more aerial duals than any of our CBs AND any we have been linked with. I'm pretty sure he is one of the best in the league in that regard. 

I don't really understand the argument being made about not needing a 3rd CB of starting quality because we already have a nailed on starting 2. Don't players need rest, don't they get niggles, and doesn't anyone remember Ryan Bennett?

I'm not sure the player exists that is the exact standard to not be an auto starter, yet the absolute bollocks when he does play, whilst with insufficient ambition to insist on being a starter. Judging by how BR is dealing with Gray, I am getting the feeling that he is clear with players as to their role, and they can accept it, challenge it or fester/leave. In other words, if Tarkowski is being seriously considered, he won't be left in any doubt as to the expectations of him, and I would presume he won't sign if he isn't accepting of them.

The fee, as alluded to above, becomes swiftly irrelevant if the player does the business on the pitch - who knows, it could be the difference between 5th place, say, and 4th place.

Again, I have absolutely no idea why people get so spazzy about the fee. It is what it is. We need a cb and he comes with an English Premium and Prem Experience. 

If Rodgers thinks he is a missing link then good enough for me. Just remember when you are whining about £37m, Maguire went for £80 odd million and John Stones £50m.

• Like 3

I just don’t get it with our fans. “We’re not signing anyone, the owners are cheap!”

They open the Amex and now you’re all complaining.
You need to spend money to compete in more than one league.

I’m from Oz and even I understand this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fozdog said:

I just don’t get it with our fans. “We’re not signing anyone, the owners are cheap!”

They open the Amex and now you’re all complaining.
You need to spend money to compete in more than one league.

I’m from Oz and even I understand this. 

Looks like you’ve joined the wrong Football Forum as you’re definitely not a Foxes fan !