Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

5 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

I don’t want Tarkowski. He’s never played in a side that demands the level of footballing ability that we ask from our centre backs, that combined with his age and the figure being touted gives me a bad feeling about this potential transfer. It’s a massive no from me. 

Didn’t watch him for Brentford then, he was well regarded on the ball.

From the man himself: “Maybe some of you have written that I’m an old-fashioned English defender but before I joined Burnley no one ever said those words about me,” the 25-year-old said at St George’s Park on Tuesday. “I was more a ball-playing centre-half, playing out from the back in a Brentford team that took a lot of chances.”

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Didn’t watch him for Brentford then, he was well regarded on the ball.

From the man himself: “Maybe some of you have written that I’m an old-fashioned English defender but before I joined Burnley no one ever said those words about me,” the 25-year-old said at St George’s Park on Tuesday. “I was more a ball-playing centre-half, playing out from the back in a Brentford team that took a lot of chances.”

Let’s not over egg his time at Brentford. He got promoted with them from League 1 and then 2 full seasons with them in the Championship. Yes they were more free flowing than Burnley but still not to the level/intensity demanded of our players under Brendan. There’s a reason why he’s not been back in the England squad over the likes of Conor Coady and Tyrone Mings, he’s alright, but he’s not really that good. You don’t pay £35 million for alright.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Let’s not over egg his time at Brentford. He got promoted with them from League 1 and then 2 full seasons with them in the Championship. Yes they were more free flowing than Burnley but still not to the level/intensity demanded of our players under Brendan. There’s a reason why he’s not been back in the England squad over the likes of Conor Coady and Tyrone Mings, he’s alright, but he’s not really that good. You don’t pay £35 million for alright.  

Yes because Gareth Southgates choice of player is the be all and end all.

And is Johnny Evans known for his passing or intensity, nope. He’s just known as a good solid defender.

Finally, perhaps the man in charge should decide who fits his style.

• Like 2

We slag off fans of the big clubs for looking down their noses at us but some of us are just as guilty of it to other clubs. Tarkowski is a very good Premier league defender and will know the league inside out so won't need too much bedding in time. Just because he plays for Burnley doesn't mean he's shit 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yes because Gareth Southgates choice of player is the be all and end all.

And is Johnny Evans known for his passing or intensity, nope. He’s just known as a good solid defender.

Finally, perhaps the man in charge should decide who fits his style.

Whilst the comparison to Jonny Evans is a fair one, he also cost a considerably lower outlay than £35 million. We spent similar money on Tielemans and we are right to expect more than what Tarkowski offers for the money being quoted. 

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

We slag off fans of the big clubs for looking down their noses at us but some of us are just as guilty of it to other clubs. Tarkowski is a very good Premier league defender and will know the league inside out so won't need too much bedding in time. Just because he plays for Burnley doesn't mean he's shit 

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s shit, but £35 million is a lot of money and there’s a lot more upside to be had by bringing a centre back in from abroad. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 2

Just now, GingerrrFox said:

Whilst the comparison to Jonny Evans is a fair one, he also cost a considerably lower outlay than £35 million. We spent similar money on Tielemans and we are right to expect more than what Tarkowski offers for the money being quoted. 

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s shit, but £35 million is a lot of money and there’s a lot more upside to be had by bringing a centre back in from abroad. 

Possibly but I also think you then take the risk of them not adapting to the Premier league so maybe the little bit extra on JT is worth it. I think he'd thrive here personally 

• Like 2

This transfer has shades of the Evans about it (albeit being 10x the fee). Solid “no nonsense” defender linked with us but then being a wonder signing. 

Tarkowski doesn’t seem spectacular but he is first and foremost a defender. Solid in air, seems to read game well, and I’m sure better on ball that we give him credit for.

Fofana is the sexy signing but we also need to think about a partner for Cags, and it’s a calm organiser who reads the game well rather than another young gun and Tarkowski (sorry but I can’t and never will call him “JT”) seems that. 

Ideal world, both Tarks and LaWest but if we have to pick, probably Tarks for now. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

No he’s not shit,but Burnley just want too much money him.
I would be happy to see him in our back line,but would rather BR spend the money on Fofana.

He’ll learn his trade in the best league in the world and we’ll get a few good years out of him.:rolleyes:

My problem in going over £30m for him is that he's a player at his peak who is well known in the PL but none of the elite clubs are interested in him. He also has 21 months left on his contract and is refusing to play by all accounts so we shouldn't be paying £35m+ for such a profile. 

It's a bit like Sigurdsson a few years a go who was at his peak age, little resale value but costs top dollar and is well known in the division yet still none of the elite clubs wanted him. 

Happy to have Tarkowski but for no more than £30m. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Would you have paid £35m for Jonny Evans at 27/28 and got 5 years out of him?

I would.

Jonny Evans won Premier League titles and numerous other major trophies, so even signing him from West Brom at 29 for the £20m we offered the season before still pitches him someway above Tarkowski as a player.

I like Tarkowski, but not for the price we'd have to pay. 

• Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

I think fans get a bit unnecessarily hung up on transfer fees. Like some saying I'd take him for £30m but not £35m. What does it really matter to us? The club ain't gonna pay it if they think it's too much

The budget is finite. If we overspend on one player, we have less to spend on other players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

The budget is finite. If we overspend on one player, we have less to spend on other players.

But I don't think it sounds like we're in for multiple positions from what Brendan has said anyway so doubt that extra £5m would make much difference 

I think if he doesn't get his big money move its really going to screw Burnley up, he wants to leave and is allegedly  doesn't want to play for them. Dyche wants 40m for him as he seems to control Burnleys income and spending, Tarkowski has said he doesn't want to go to West Ham so really Leicester hold all the aces.

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas