Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

2 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Very much doubt this. They are not going to keep Perez, Barnes, Albrighton, McNeil, Gray and another happy. Gray could go I'll grant you but they are highly unlikely to be chucking £30m+ at McNeil to rotate with Barnes.

As for the player himself, he is one of the leading left footers in the PL for key passes and general creativity, his output would surely improve in a more attacking style.

Burnley scored 43 last season and he was directly involved in 8 of those - if you extrapolate that to our 67 scored he'd be involved in roughly 12 goals which is more than Perez got.

Didn't Perez score 8 and get 4 assists? 

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I honestly don't know what the mental block is with our recruitment team and signing forward players. 

But given Iheanacho and Perez are the "best" we've managed since we found Riyad (Ulloa at a push) and you consider Ghezzal was our replacement to the maestro and Slimani was our great idea to "improve" on Okazaki? 

I don't know why or how we're so bad at signing forwards when we seem to be so good at signing defensive players (Ndidi, Cags, Evans, JJ, Ricardo, how ****ing good are we!?) - it's utterly absurd but the pattern is pretty undeniable really. 

Literally the only attacker we've signed since we won the Premier League that actually belongs a top half club... is our right back lol

I don’t think it’s a mental block. Attacking players, with flair and end product usually have higher interest then good defensive players. We enter the market for a Mahrez replacement, to replicate his numbers and general affect on our team you’re talking about going after a player that probably has a fair bit of interest. Higher interest = higher costs. I mean, after we Won the title we signed an unproven Nigerian international in Musa and an Algerian forward who has done it in Portugal but was a humongous risk for £30 million. As you move up the chain, it’s harder to take the punt on the £400k Ligue 2 player and allow him time to bed in. 

It’s like Ian Wright said to Rob Savage on BT once. It’s easier to stop someone then to be the one people want to stop. The goalscorer/match winner is always harder to acquire. I mean, I think since 1993 we’ve had Iwan Roberts, Paul Dickov, Matty Fryatt, David Nugent and Jamie Vardy (anyone I’ve missed) as players who have got us 20 or more goals in a season at different levels. 

Lumped on, wife will not be pleased if he doesn't join now!

Looking at the attributes of the wide players we need, it's hard to argue against McNeil being the most underwhelming of the names we've been linked with.

Having said that, he's part of a very regimented system at Burnley, and a system that doesn't really allow us to understand what his talents are above and beyond what the Burnley system limits him to. You could suggest the same system allows someone like Tarkowski to look a better player than he actually is.

In that respect, he would be a high risk signing, but who knows, maybe joining a team with more technical players and a bigger focus on possession allows other talents to flourish. The fee will be sufficiently large enough to mean we're unlikely to sign another wide man, so we have to hope he comes good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

20 year old Albrighton sounds like a ****ing excellent player for me.

Bizarre that some would use that as a stick to bash him with.

He's already better than Albrighton will ever be in terms of passing, shooting and crossing. 

Albrighton has more experience and might be better defensively.

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t think it’s a mental block. Attacking players, with flair and end product usually have higher interest then good defensive players. We enter the market for a Mahrez replacement, to replicate his numbers and general affect on our team you’re talking about going after a player that probably has a fair bit of interest. Higher interest = higher costs. I mean, after we Won the title we signed an unproven Nigerian international in Musa and an Algerian forward who has done it in Portugal but was a humongous risk for £30 million. As you move up the chain, it’s harder to take the punt on the £400k Ligue 2 player and allow him time to bed in. 

It’s like Ian Wright said to Rob Savage on BT once. It’s easier to stop someone then to be the one people want to stop. The goalscorer/match winner is always harder to acquire. I mean, I think since 1993 we’ve had Iwan Roberts, Paul Dickov, Matty Fryatt, David Nugent and Jamie Vardy (anyone I’ve missed) as players who have got us 20 or more goals in a season at different levels. 

We just don't sign many wingers and attackers. We used to, but in recent years we've largely kept the same wingers and forwards. 

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Goals cost money. Still think a Trincao loan around deadline day is in works :ph34r:

All of us clambering after a left footed right winger but what’s the chances of Barnes playing on the right and McNeil on the left? I mean barnes constantly wanting to cut inside on his right effects his explosiveness down the wing a problem that wouldn’t happen if he was unleashed down the right 👀👀👀 😂

29 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Brooks is twice the player for probably half the money. 

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Brooks is exactly the same player but a tad older and recovering from a shocking injury.

McNeill is twice the player.

Being last in the opinion sweepstakes sucks jebbies.

• Haha 2

This thread has been a mixture in the past hour lol 

What is it with some of our fans shitting all over Burnley players? Some of you did it with Tarkowski, clearly not knowing how good his performances were last season. Now we get the same with Dwight McNeil, who’s proven to be a talent that is one to watch.

He is more skilful than some of our fans give him credit for, plus he’ll bag a decent amount of assists.

But I also fully understand why some are underwhelmed, we need a winger that will not only get assists but goals too, Dwight McNeil probably won’t give us that. If we sign him, keep Gray and don’t get a second winger, then Rodgers will be making a mistake.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

We just don't sign many wingers and attackers. We used to, but in recent years we've largely kept the same wingers and forwards. 

True. However, a further reason could also be what is very much needed given our budget. Maguire and Evans were needed because Huth and Morgan were coming towards the end. Soy and Benko were needed because Maguire was leaving. Ndidi was needed because Kante left. Perreira was needed because Simpson for all his defensive capabilities was too old school going forward for us to progress. 

When you look at our forward buys. Maddison, Tielemans, Kelechi etc. They’re young up and coming with work to be done. Mahrez was always going to be the hardest player (after Kante) to replace because his replacement not only had to deliver on numbers but had to have the wow factor the man brought to the team. It’s just a harder market with forward players.

Just now, North Leeds Fox said:

Very happy if this is true. Young, English, very talented and someone for us to mould into our team. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders and could play in a number of positions. Great technical ability too which rodgers will love 

Echoes my thoughts, apart from the expected fee pain, I see little downside here

if it’s true of course