Nalis Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 Not necessarily the best team but what are your favourite teams of all time, whether thats for style of play, their success, one player or just because? Limiting it to teams I've seen in full matches rather than highlights mine are these, though I'm sure I've left some of my favourites out: Sampdoria 1991 - Glory hunted them after they won the league. Most people of my generation had (or have) an Italian team from the 90s. Even at a young age it seemed like Serie A was miles ahead of the top flight in England though I wish I was old enough to fully understand how. Arsenal 2004 - An absolute joy to watch. Before social media so no spanners to ruin it. Czech Republic 2004 - Nedved behind Baros and Koller, lovely. Not a greatest of all time team but they should have won Euro 2004. Barcelona 2006 - For Ronaldinho really Brazil 2006 - Loved the players. Thought that team could have been a classic world cup winning side but Zidane and co obviously had other ideas. Barcelona 2010 - Probably the greatest club time of all time? Man City 2017 to date - A rival at times last season but when they're in full flow they are great to watch, particularly De Bruyne.
peach0000 Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 The Man City team for the last few years stands out for me. They are just sensational to watch. The best football I've ever seen. I can respect it.
Leicester_Loyal Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 I liked Madrid when Beckham went there, 2003 ish era, the Galacticos. Iker Casillas, Roberto Carlos, Zidane, Beckham, Raul, Figo, Guti, Michel Salgado and the mighty Ronaldo. Just a reminder that in 2003 that team finished 4th, behind Valencia, Barca and Deportivo.
fuchsntf Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 Spurs...1960s J.Greaves etc.. BvB Dortmund 1966, then ever since my 2nd team.Though it took First until the 80s to see them live,und Real Madrid...Puskas- de Stefano...The Romance of The Stories & 5-6 years old filmed games seen in The pictures AC Milan with G.Rivera The Great Ajax teams early1970s, then 1995... Werder Bremen..under Rehagel Ronaldo's Time at Real Madrid... Barcelona..2010.. Brazil 1970 Foxes title season...I mean whats more Non-Leicester than that..!!
Izzy Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 Good thread. Brazil ‘82 for me. I loved thier swagger and Zico, Eder, Socrates etc. were the nuts. They should really have won that WC.
Izzy Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 1 hour ago, peach0000 said: The Man City team for the last few years stands out for me. They are just sensational to watch. The best football I've ever seen. I can respect it. If you strip away all the oil money and FFP stuff, purely from a footballing POV they are a joy to watch. I won tickets to the cup final last year and took my lad and they completely outplayed Watford that day. It was a pleasure to be there and see them live. Some sensational players and I for one will miss David Silva now he’s left the PL.
Sunbury Fox Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 Barca in the period 2009-2011 were sensationally good. Barca's performance in beating Man U in the 2011 CL final is probably the single best performance I've seen. They won 3-1 but it could have been 7 or 8. Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets - the best midfield of all time, surely - all topped off with Messi, the best player of all time. Also really enjoyed watching Arsenal in the early Wenger years. Henry, Bergkamp, Overmars, Pires, Vieira, etc played some great stuff.
Sunbury Fox Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 2 hours ago, Izzy said: Good thread. Brazil ‘82 for me. I loved thier swagger and Zico, Eder, Socrates etc. were the nuts. They should really have won that WC. Interesting call. They were brilliant but flawed - let down by a sub standard keeper and centre forward. But some amazing individual talents - Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Eder, Junior, etc.
bovril Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 Fiorentina late 90s, mostly for the kit. England 96. France & Croatia 98 Arsenal 97/98 - Changed English football and broke the Man United hegemony. Barca 98-2000 - Went on a family holiday to Barcelona and fell in love with the team around that time. King's Lynn 2005-6. Italy 2006 - not the best team in the tournament but that semi final was something else. Palermo 08-09 - was living there and had a season ticket.
1972 Fox Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 2 hours ago, Izzy said: Good thread. Brazil ‘82 for me. I loved thier swagger and Zico, Eder, Socrates etc. were the nuts. They should really have won that WC. 16 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said: Interesting call. They were brilliant but flawed - let down by a sub standard keeper and centre forward. But some amazing individual talents - Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Eder, Junior, etc. Brilliant side to watch but as said the lacking of a CF was their flaw. Having to rely on Serginho up front cost them dear.
bovril Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said: I liked Madrid when Beckham went there, 2003 ish era, the Galacticos. Iker Casillas, Roberto Carlos, Zidane, Beckham, Raul, Figo, Guti, Michel Salgado and the mighty Ronaldo. And Cambiasso.
Sunbury Fox Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 One other thought - Newcastle under Keegan were brilliant for a spell in the mid 90s. Should have won the league for sure.
tom27111 Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 Cameroon in Italia 90! Chelsea under Mourinho when they won that first Premier League. Robben and Duff on the wings, with Drogba up front. Man City recently. Man Utd around 2009. Summed up by the counter attack Ronaldo goal in the Champions League against Arsenal. Any team containing Eric Cantona. Whilst I dislike all of those clubs, you just have to look back and appreciate what they did and admire it. At the time, you can't really enjoy it, because it's not your team, but you look back and reflect on it and miss some of those great players.
Leicester_Loyal Posted 29 August 2020 Posted 29 August 2020 Greece 2004. Couldn't believe it when they won Euro 2004 and I was supporting them as soon as England were knocked out. I loved the fact Theodoros Zagorakis, the ex LCFC player was their captain too. I liked Leeds in 03-04 too, Paul Robinson, Ian Harte, Lucas Radebe, Mark Viduka, Alan Smith, Pennant, Milner, Aaron Lennon. I liked Harry Kewell too but he left before that season started.
deanolegend1989 Posted 30 August 2020 Posted 30 August 2020 Newcastle 95/96 - Fantastic to watch, should of won the league! Arsenal 97/98 - Brilliant team, this team got me into football the way they dismantled Utd with Overmars at OT. Utd 98/99 - Never knew when they were beat. Imo 97/98 and 98/99 were the 2 best Premier league seasons since its creation in 92/93. Utd 07/08 - Great to watch, the best team in EPL history for me, they had everything. Leicester 15/16 - More than a fluke. Every single game we looked exciting. We always looked exciting and compact and dynamic. Could win in different ways, scrapping tough battles(A Spurs), Absolutely running teams over(A Man City). We will never see such a fantastic team at the KP. Bayern 19/20 - The whole package. Everytime I watched them they had everything. Raw pace, fantastic spine and a clinical goal scorer. So exciting to watch, no weaknesses.
leicsmac Posted 30 August 2020 Posted 30 August 2020 Most of these have been said already but: Arsenal early 2000's England 2002 - genuinely thought they could have won the World Cup, and if they had beaten Brazil, they would have Chelsea/Man U late 2000's - last time the two best sides in Europe were PL sides AC Milan early/mid 90's - first insight into Serie A (through Football Italia obvs) and they played the game at a different level.
StanSP Posted 30 August 2020 Posted 30 August 2020 AC Milan in the 90s/early 00s - Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini. Unreal squad. Barca about 10 years ago. Dominated football pretty much for a good few years. It was their era. Parma in mid 90s towards 00s. Again, legendary names - Thuram, Crespo, Buffon, Chiesa, Cannavaro, Asprilla. The whole Italian game around that era tbh Batistuta at Fiorentina, Salas & Zamorano, Del Piero, Conte, Tacchinardi, Birindelli, Davids, Zidane at Juve. Peruzzi, Zanetti, Ronaldo, Baggio at Inter. What a generation.
Mark_w Posted 30 August 2020 Posted 30 August 2020 non-Leicester? Well I really enjoyed watching Southampton’s October 2019 side.
Corky Posted 30 August 2020 Posted 30 August 2020 Wigan under Martinez were great value- couldn't defend at all but attacked with desire, their games were highly entertaining and goals pretty much guaranteed.
Stadt Posted 10 September 2020 Posted 10 September 2020 Atletico under Simeone, they sorted of provided the framework for our 15/16 team but they've done everything differently and became a super club their own way. For all the money and talent at some clubs it's just beaten by hard work on occasion.
Finnegan Posted 10 September 2020 Posted 10 September 2020 On 29/08/2020 at 19:12, Nalis said: Czech Republic 2004 - Nedved behind Baros and Koller, lovely. Not a greatest of all time team but they should have won Euro 2004. One of my favourite ever games I watched as a "neutral" (I was completely cheering for the Czechs.)
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.