Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

Things you can't get your head around...

24 minutes ago, the fox said:

I said ask me. i didn't say that certain subjects are off limit. there are a lot of misconceptions about Islam. go see the pages 100-101-102 of "also in the news" thread and you might find some answers that will ease you to the discussion.

how about we start from "does a Creator exist" and go from there.

i will state my argument and you can state yours. i will argue for the existence of a creator.

there was a theory in the 1900's, it was called the "static state" theory. it said that the universe is eternal, it was a consensus belief that goes against the concept of the God of the Abrahamic religions and the concept of Creation. anyways, that theory is gone now and was replaces by the "big bang" theory and some others because scientists found that it goes against what the reality is. anyways, if the universe is caused, than what caused that cause? and so on. we will go back for infinity, and if the past in infinite, than there is no THIS (the universe and people and everything) because there is no start. so what does it take to kick all of this off? an eternal, uncaused cause. the uncaused cause has to be, obviously, uncaused. and it has to be way more powerful that any law of nature or it will be effected by it. now the questions is, "there is a Creator entity, but is it conscious?". there are 2 possibilities. the Creator is conscious or is unconscious. and i say conscious. and my reason for saying that is, if the Creator was unconscious (automatic), the Universe would be eternal because the Creator isn't conscious of its actions and because it is eternal, it will make everything that it creates eternal. the entity can't decide when to create if it was unconscious.

I think some humility has to be learnt I am a mere humanoid that lives on this tiny rock floating in space I am too dumb to ever understand things like this. Why the hell would a creator like God care to think about what I do. Why does it care about what I eat drink and smoke. We are so irrelevant I almost find it big headed to think (if it did exist) it cares at all about us. Why would he be in hiding why wouldn't he come out to the people straight up and just go hey I am God worship me it can do whatever the **** it wants right? In my mind its much more likely God doesn't exist and if it did exist (Big if) he sure as hell wouldn't give two shits about what I and the rest of the world does. So that leaves Islam out of the picture automatically. Since in Islam there are many rules on how we should live. We can agree to disagree but that's just the way I see it there's no reason for us to exist so therefore something that lives and has conscious logic greater than ours wouldn't create us. In my mind asking a human about how we got on earth is like asking a dog how to solve a maths equation its just out of our depth. The only way I would be convinced such I thing existed is if I saw it with my own eyes.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

Going back to the question of ways to shuffle a deck of cards, there are 52! (= 52x51x50x...x3x2x1) different ways. Explicitly, that's 80,658,175,170,943,878,571,660,636,856,403,766,975,289,505,440,883,277,824,000,000,000,000 ways.

Btw, the universe isn't big enough to explicitly write down really big numbers! 

Everything really. Like the idea of whether we created by something that always existed or the multiverse itself has always existed or just everything sprung up from nothing one random Tursday afternoon. Either idea is incomprehensible to me.

Really everything other than the time you spend with other people and friends and family is pretty meaningless when you get down to it.

It's too easy to get caught in the weeds of life of politics or philosophy or current events to think it's deeply important when so little of it is. That's something I'm too guilty of and it probably holds me back on making desicions too much.

Edited by Sampson

5 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Both World Wars were extremely recent relative to the impact they had on the world. 

Also just the wars themselves, WW2 in particular. 

This always baffles me.

We study the world wars in great detail and they are obviously quite recent. For all I know, other wars could have been more devastating. However, as history is written by the victor, why do we not have greater deals and honour the dead from previous wars. I’ve assumed it’s because the world was a closer place when it happened, so we were able to communicate the scale of the losses. 

...... TROY could have been the biggest war ever, how would we know. 

Other things I can never get my head around:

1. Racism - surely we’re all equal, we just look a little different.

2. Religion - As a atheist, I frustrates me when you consider the number of conflicts it’s caused.  

3. Blondeiam /  Gingerism - not sure why this is still socially accepted and how it differs from people being discriminated against for the colour of the skin.

4. Women ...... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Sly said:

This always baffles me.

We study the world wars in great detail and they are obviously quite recent. For all I know, other wars could have been more devastating. However, as history is written by the victor, why do we not have greater deals and honour the dead from previous wars. I’ve assumed it’s because the world was a closer place when it happened, so we were able to communicate the scale of the losses. 

I think as you say the world wars are relatable to a certain extent, particularly WW2.

I also think a lot more television footage of it than anything before and the fact it was very close geographically both help us to relate to it more.

7 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Our own individual existence. You, as a sperm, beat the race of c200 million others to fertilise the exact egg required to create you and come into this world.  Not only that, but this was the same for each generation before you, from human existence.  The probability that you as a person are here living is incomprehensively astronomical. If any generation before you did not meet and create the offspring that eventually led to your own birth, you simply would never have existed.

Sometimes that is worth reflecting on when you feel worthless. The fact you are here is an absolute miracle and I struggle to get my head around that. 

What also amazes me is the miniscule time Humans have inhabited Earth.  If you condense the history of Earth into one year, with our world being formed at 12:01 on January 1st, Humans only came into existence on the last hour of NYE.

Dinosaurs would appear on December 13 - The age of the dinosaurs is unbelievably vast as well.   We are living in a closer to in time to the last species of dinosaur than they did to the first species that roamed.   .

Our minds simply do not have the capability to comprehend the size and time of our own world and more so our universe. 

Excellent post.

Also, to think our forefathers and mothers have survived countless plaques, famines, wars, etc before having the next in the bloodline. 

Amazing to think.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Desabafar said:

i read that it is a 1 in 400 trillion chance that you are born, beyond me

But if you're never born, you'd never know, surely. The egg is fertilised by one individual sperm out of millions, the resulting embryo will develop into a foetus. Then become a baby human. You could be you, but different. You'd never know. A different spermatozoa from the same father fertilising an ovum would still result in a human with a base of the DNA of it's parents. You'd still be born but maybe you'd be Sarah instead of Simon, depending on the x/y chromosomes but the route to fertilisation is the same. 

22 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Oh yeah this big time. Some people actually go out of their way to have a go at him if a thread praising him pops up, blows my mind.

So why is he still not our manager? I can't get my head around his disciple's total blinding faith wanting and expecting the second coming. Move on. Yes he did us well, but where would we be now if he'd still been in charge. 

Anyway this is not a post for this topic. It will only result in a torrent of those for v those against. Should be in the LCFC forum.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So why is he still not our manager? I can't get my head around his disciple's total blinding faith wanting and expecting the second coming. Move on. Yes he did us well, but where would we be now if he'd still been in charge. 

Anyway this is not a post for this topic. It will only result in a torrent of those for v those against. Should be in the LCFC forum.

Wow here we go. I was only agreeing with the post. No one mentioned him still being our manager, simply that we appreciate what he has done for our club and subsequently rate him. 

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

This always baffles me.

I think even at WW2 we only know part of it.

Most British people would probably not even realise more British people were killed in WW1 than WWII and Britain played a much larger "front line role" in WWI whereas for most of WWII it was just an aerial war for us in Europe, our front-lines were in Africa and Asia.

Like in the UK people often say the Eastern Front is underrepresented. But that's nothing in comparison to the Sino-Japanese front. The front between Japan and China in WWII was absolutely brutal and China actually has the 2nd highest death count in WWII only after The Soviet Union. Whereas most in the UK would not even consider China to be a major part of the war, let alone realise how many millions of Chinese lives were lost during the war.

To us it's just marching Nazis. We never even learn about how brutal that war was in other parts of the world.

That said The Thirty Years War is the war I think which is mostly underrepresented in UK history which we pertook in. That was the most brutal war in European History prior to WW1 and 30 Years was most of a person's lifetime in the middle ages. Most of Central Europe got destroyed in that conflict and you can argue it was the war which brought about secularism and led to a right to a nation's own choice of religion between Catholoic and Protestantism and started the long road to becoming the less religious dogmatised place Europe is today. I'd argue it had just as much importance on modern European history as WWI, WWII or the Napoleonic Wars. Imagine getting one chance at this life though and it being born in Prague at the beginning of the Thirty Years War - it would be all you'd ever know. You wouldn't understand what peace looked like and you'd never feel it achievable.

The Franco-Prussian War of 1871 is another super interesting war to read up on and also explains the history around France and Germany and tensions there leading up to Workd War I and II.

On this thread's subject - it blows my mind that some of the older generals in WWII (most of whom were anti-Nazi as they believed in the romance of war) were old enough to remember the Franco-Prussian War, Bismark, the formation of Germany and most were born in Prussia, Bavaria or the countless other German states prior to Germany even being a nation.

You kind of forget when Hitler came to power Germany's formation was still in living memory for some people - as was Italy's when Mussolini rose to power - which helped me understand their rise to power a lot more from a historical perspective I think once I realised that.

Crazy to think sometimes that Germany and Italy are still such relatively young countries on a global scale. Much, much  younger than America for example, which was always surprising to me when I first learnt it

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Another good one I remember seeing a few years ago.

It feels like Abraham Lincoln was around centuries ago and tv is a modern invention.

But someone old enough to have seen Lincoln shot at Ford's Theatre was recent enough to have appeared on TV.

It was a pretty stark reminder to me when I saw it that history is not as long ago as you seem and how rapidly things can change and how the people who live it are just ordinary people.

Like, sometimes I think of stuff from hundreds of years ago as being completely different people with completely different ambitions and lives to us now, but that guy just seems like he could just be anyone's granddad today and he saw Abraham Lincoln get shot. It brings it home how ordinary people, little different to us today, live through history.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Another good one I remember seeing a few years ago.

It feels like Abraham Lincoln was around centuries ago and tv is a modern invention.

But someone old enough to have seen Lincoln shot at Ford's Theatre was recent enough to have appeared on TV.

I'm just amazed Matt Damon was on tv in 1956!

Screenshot_20200909-215227.png

Edited by Rain King
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

But if you're never born, you'd never know, surely. The egg is fertilised by one individual sperm out of millions, the resulting embryo will develop into a foetus. Then become a baby human. You could be you, but different. You'd never know. A different spermatozoa from the same father fertilising an ovum would still result in a human with a base of the DNA of it's parents. You'd still be born but maybe you'd be Sarah instead of Simon, depending on the x/y chromosomes but the route to fertilisation is the same. 

If I (my sperm version of me) was beaten to the egg by another sperm would I (providing I was male)

a) still look exactly like me

b) look a bit like me

c) have the same characteristics as me

d) have the same personality as me

e) none of the above and I would be completely different

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fightforever said:

I think some humility has to be learnt I am a mere humanoid that lives on this tiny rock floating in space I am too dumb to ever understand things like this. Why the hell would a creator like God care to think about what I do. Why does it care about what I eat drink and smoke. We are so irrelevant I almost find it big headed to think (if it did exist) it cares at all about us. Why would he be in hiding why wouldn't he come out to the people straight up and just go hey I am God worship me it can do whatever the **** it wants right? In my mind its much more likely God doesn't exist and if it did exist (Big if) he sure as hell wouldn't give two shits about what I and the rest of the world does. So that leaves Islam out of the picture automatically. Since in Islam there are many rules on how we should live. We can agree to disagree but that's just the way I see it there's no reason for us to exist so therefore something that lives and has conscious logic greater than ours wouldn't create us. In my mind asking a human about how we got on earth is like asking a dog how to solve a maths equation its just out of our depth. The only way I would be convinced such I thing existed is if I saw it with my own eyes.

I dont wont to be dogmatic...but Bark + Woof x bellow - bow wow squared= meow..

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

Everything really. Like the idea of whether we created by something that always existed or the multiverse itself has always existed or just everything sprung up from nothing one random Tursday afternoon. Either idea is incomprehensible to me.

Surely the universe would start on a Monday.