Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

Things you can't get your head around...

10 hours ago, Collymore said:

At that scale parts of the surface of both the ground and the tyre would look like the Himalayas so I'd doubt that there would be parts of the tyre or rocket that would never touch the ground. 

...which leads me on to the fact that the atoms in all solids (such as our bodies) still contain space around them so it's theoretically possible to walk through a brick wall if you were some how lucky enough to line up all the spaces correctly. Highly unlikely but possible. 

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

To expand on this, there are spaces between each atom in a solid, but the electromagnetic force between each of them and between other solid objects is what stops the above from happening.

However...given a phenomenon known as quantum tunneling, it is still theoretically possible...but really, really unlikely.

Probably more likely than you think - I’ve seen it done dozens of times by school kids at Kings Cross...

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2020 at 22:32, Kopfkino said:

I have a vague recollection of a similar thread but can't find it.

Looking at the sky tonight, I just cannot get my head around the fact it's not a sheet of plastic with some fairly lights in and is in fact just open space. Also that what you're seeing actually happened many years ago and may not still exist. I don't think I will ever fully comprehend it.

So what other things can people not get their head around?

Here's one for you. The night sky proves the universe isn't infinite. How? Here comes the science.

tumblr_lq5r6gGsC91qczh7oo2_540.gif

If the universe was infinite ALL light from ALL stars and galaxies would have reached the Earth and the night sky would be completely illuminated... in fact, permanent light, 24/7.

31 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Here's one for you. The night sky proves the universe isn't infinite. How? Here comes the science.

tumblr_lq5r6gGsC91qczh7oo2_540.gif

If the universe was infinite ALL light from ALL stars and galaxies would have reached the Earth and the night sky would be completely illuminated... in fact, permanent light, 24/7.

So what's at the end of the universe? If the light we see from distant stars is millions of years old, how do we know what is beyond that. It's inevitable that there will be light arriving from stars that hasn't reached us yet because they are hundreds of millions light years away. I need to ring Brian Cox, he'd know.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

So what's at the end of the universe? If the light we see from distant stars is millions of years old, how do we know what is beyond that. It's inevitable that there will be light arriving from stars that hasn't reached us yet because they are hundreds of millions light years away. I need to ring Brian Cox, he'd know.

Not if it's infinite, that's the point.

In an infinite universe there's another Parafox thinking, "you know what, he's right!"

I can't get my head around why all football pundits want the best players to play exclusively for the same handful of teams.

I'm not even talking about Leicester here, any team that's not one of the elite. When you had players like Tevez at West Ham or Le Tissier at Southampton or Juninho at Middlesbrough, it was great and it still is great to see really good players not playing for the elite clubs.

Utterly bizarre.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 09:37, RonnieTodger said:

The amount of languages that exist

Similarly, the development of language itself. How on Earth did people start saying words for things, and how did they then form into coherent sentences with verb tenses and adjectives, etc? And how did that happen independently of each other hundreds of thousands (?) of times? I don’t understand it whatsoever 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I can't get my head around why all football pundits want the best players to play exclusively for the same handful of teams.

I'm not even talking about Leicester here, any team that's not one of the elite. When you had players like Tevez at West Ham or Le Tissier at Southampton or Juninho at Middlesbrough, it was great and it still is great to see really good players not playing for the elite clubs.

Utterly bizarre.

you missed out Gazza @ Spurs ;)

On 14/09/2020 at 06:30, leicsmac said:

To expand on this, there are spaces between each atom in a solid, but the electromagnetic force between each of them and between other solid objects is what stops the above from happening.

However...given a phenomenon known as quantum tunneling, it is still theoretically possible...but really, really unlikely.

Which leads me on to the question is the universe infinite or not? If it is, then surely it's irrelevant. If not, yep, highly unlikely. 

I sometimes think of things we can still comphended  - like if there was a lottery every second of your life at 14 million/1 and some how you won it for your whole life.- without fail, second after second! 

Infinity means it's irrelevant, in a universe with human meaning it's impossible but still possible. That messes with my head. 

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

Which leads me on to the question is the universe infinite or not? If it is, then surely it's irrelevant. If not, yep, highly unlikely. 

I sometimes think of things we can still comphended  - like if there was a lottery every second of your life at 14 million/1 and some how you won it for your whole life.- without fail, second after second! 

Infinity means it's irrelevant, in a universe with human meaning it's impossible but still possible. That messes with my head. 

The current data we have implies that the Universe is not infinite - it's much bigger than what we can observe, but not infinite.

21 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

The one that always gets me is that the members of the armed services who gave their lives for our country, in both world wars and other conflicts, those Battle of Britain pilots, or those who stormed the beaches of Normandy , or the battle of the Somme never knew we won.............

"A society grows great when (old) men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Though I have my own thoughts on warfare, some things are certainly worth looking beyond the end of one's own life for. Those people knew that.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2020 at 09:37, RonnieTodger said:

The amount of languages that exist

On 15/09/2020 at 07:58, theessexfox said:

Similarly, the development of language itself. How on Earth did people start saying words for things, and how did they then form into coherent sentences with verb tenses and adjectives, etc? And how did that happen independently of each other hundreds of thousands (?) of times? I don’t understand it whatsoever 

Alan Watts has a great quote about language:  

‘We seldom realize, for example that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society.’

• Like 1

How Seaworld hasn’t been shut down. What they’re doing to Orca’s in particular, is truly awful. So beautiful & intelligent, they travel 100 miles per day in the ocean, yet are confined to a small space just so Seaworld can gain monetary profits. 

They hunt everything including sharks, but have never attacked a human in the wild. Truly amazing creatures. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

The one that always gets me is that the members of the armed services who gave their lives for our country, in both world wars and other conflicts, those Battle of Britain pilots, or those who stormed the beaches of Normandy , or the battle of the Somme never knew we won.............

A bit like the 10,000 who leave the KP before the end, and don't even know who won the game!