Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

Things you can't get your head around...

Memory.

Why do some memories feel like you were there experiencing something?

Why do some memories feel like you are just watching something you've done in third person?

Why is it that you cant remember something but you know it happened even though you cant remember any part of that particular event?

• Like 2

Also, the impact of the sub conscious mind.

Simple example but if I'm playing pool for example and get down to get a shot, sometimes my sub conscious thinks ' this is going in' and I pot what I'm going for. Other times I would have a similar shot but my sub conscious would think 'I might miss this' and lo and behold I miss it despite trying to put that thought out.

What causes the different sub conscious thought for two similar shots as why does that thought have such an effect despite having the same ability for each shot?

This can obviously translate into anything in sport / life etc.

Double slit experiment in quantum physics. 

What's the point of worrying about the size of the universe/space when the universe is aware it's being observed and behaves differently because of it. 

It's like probably the most important discovery ever but we don't ever talk about it in schools or society in general.

I'm sure when we do get to the bottom of it all the 'perceived' size of the universe will become irrelevant.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Double slit experiment in quantum physics. 

What's the point of worrying about the size of the universe/space when the universe is aware it's being observed and behaves differently because of it. 

It's like probably the most important discovery ever but we don't ever talk about it in schools or society in general.

I'm sure when we do get to the bottom of it all the 'perceived' size of the universe will become irrelevant.

To clarify this, the act of observing something involves exposing it to at least a certain amount of electromagnetic radiation (usually visible light so we can see it) in order to do so, which will (somewhat) be absorbed by whatever is being observed and change its state, if only a little. Heisenberg wasn't just the man who knocks. :D

However, though it is important to know and account for, it's likely we'll never be able to empirically observe the universe without it.

• Thanks 1

I can't get my head around the net worth of people like Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg.

I can sort of imagine £1 million in cash (100 piles of £10,000) but I can't imagine having over £100 billion 

I mean £1billion is a thousand million but Bezos has nearly £200 billion and I can't get my head around that.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I have a vague recollection of a similar thread but can't find it.

Looking at the sky tonight, I just cannot get my head around the fact it's not a sheet of plastic with some fairly lights in and is in fact just open space. Also that what you're seeing actually happened many years ago and may not still exist. I don't think I will ever fully comprehend it.

So what other things can people not get their head around?

Have you watched the documentary series called 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' from 2014? Even if you just watch the first episode, it will leave you feeling so small and insignificant when looking at the universe. I thought I had a certain understanding of it all but this completely blew my mind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah the space thing baffles me too. Weird to get my head around what we're seeing is 'x amount of light years' away. 

That gets me too. I read once that light from stars takes so long to reach us, that if it was reversed ( ie, you were standing on a star looking at earth) you would be looking at dinosaurs. Mind blown. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Memory.

Why do some memories feel like you were there experiencing something?

Why do some memories feel like you are just watching something you've done in third person?

Why is it that you cant remember something but you know it happened even though you cant remember any part of that particular event?

When you remember something, you arent actually recalling the moment it happened. You're actually recalling the last time you thought about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

That people think the bog-eyed-right-wing-slowly-morphing-in-to-Katie-Hopkins Rachel Riley is anything other than absolutely repugnant. 

Yes!

I can't stand Rachel Riley.

Remember when she photoshoped the Corbyn t shirt and actively took a picture of herself wearing it. State of her.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I can't get my head around the net worth of people like Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg.

I can sort of imagine £1 million in cash (100 piles of £10,000) but I can't imagine having over £100 billion 

I mean £1billion is a thousand million but Bezos has nearly £200 billion and I can't get my head around that.

and the HUGE difference between a million and a billion just blows my mind...

for example....

1 million, dollar coins laid in a row (25 Kilometres)  wont even reach to the next town.
1 BILLION, dollar coins laid in a row (25,000 kilometres)  will get you halfway around the world, with enough left to buy a mars bar.

Edit.ooops

Edited by ozleicester

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I think it's the same reason why it's easier to relate to and feel more emotional about a small number of deaths than massive amounts. Or is that just me?

Oh and Southgate as England Manager, How?, Why?

This reminds me of a film I saw when a kid, it surmised that everything we see, or did, people we met weren't really there they were all in our imagination. But I guess that begs the question are we really here?

1 hour ago, jonthefox said:

That gets me too. I read once that light from stars takes so long to reach us, that if it was reversed ( ie, you were standing on a star looking at earth) you would be looking at dinosaurs. Mind blown. 

The ones that are between 65 and 220 million light years away, yeah. When you look into space, you are seeing a snapshot in time.

Additionally, for a real mind screw, some stars and galaxies we will never, ever see, because the relative velocity between us and them is faster than light because of the speed our galaxy and theirs are moving. And that "light horizon" will only get smaller over time as the speed of cosmic expansion gets faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I can get my head around how much it is just about. What I can't get my head around is just how boring some of these mega-rich folk are. 

Some of them seem okay, Bill Gates spends his cash trying to fix some of the world's problems. Musk is now rich enough he's slapping brain chips into pigs. 

But the two you mentioned just don't seem to do anything. If you're not going to use your wealth for good things, at least do something entertaining ffs. 

Infinity.

Both as a concept and as a reality, if indeed it is a reality.  If time is infinite then our existence is part of infinity, there could be infinite time before our birth and infinite time after our death.  And anything divided by infinity is zero (theoretically).

• Like 1

Another thing - game-tree complexity.

For instance, the number of possible games of chess lasting 40 moves each is greater than the number of individual baryonic particles (that is to say, protons and neutrons combined) in the universe. And that's only one part of the game tree, and chess isn't even the most complex game.

It's amazing how such a simple human invention for the purpose of recreation and competition can contain so much complexity.

I can’t get my head around how people are able to cope without faith. 

I also can’t get my head around how people are able to make sense of reality, truth, logic and morality without faith. 

I can only conclude that people suppress their worldview and borrow from a theistic worldview rather than embrace and live within it. 

I mean how can one be okay with the idea that they are bags of stardust floating around a vast expanse for no purpose other than chance and anything they know or feel is illusory? 

• Thanks 1