Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

Things you can't get your head around...

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

This is fuchsntf..!! Nothing is serious..:banana:

Thanks for The thought..Things I just have to Live with now..but the various medi s,  occasionally blow coordination, & writings off the scale....but keeps foxestalk entertained...dunnit...

I am off to Trek- Mountains in Switzerland in my Wheelchair....Great Wchair wander-paths,in the Alps...Hard getting up,but Fun going down on tight corners,with only free-air below.....even more fun ,high on medis.....what do you mean Wchairs cant fly....Watch meeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :)

I was starting to get worried...but no..no everything is still completely normal by the looks of things. 

lol 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When blokes (oddly enough) say that female comedians just aren't funny.

I'd cheerily concede that a lot aren't, but is the proportion higher than that of the male ones? I have my doubts

A female comedian can ramble on about how good/bad her sex life is & get plenty of laughs

A male comedian can't as he would be villified as a sexist pig

1 hour ago, twoleftfeet said:

as space is black how do you know they are black everything in space seems to black and who dug the whole in the first place and what have they done with all the stuff they dug out of the black whole 

Space is only black to visible light - in other wavelengths, like X-rays, gamma, radio, infrared and UV, there's a lot more going on. And that's how we know black holes are black - they don't throw out visible light in the way other bodies with mass do. Gravity dug the hole, and it's very efficient at it - the "stuff" (mass) hasn't actually gone anywhere, merely been compacted into a very, very small and dense area.

45 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yeah I remember hearing that on a podcast a while back I think - that we're now further away from landing on the moon than landing on the moon was from the Wright Brothers' plane taking off for a few seconds for the first time.

When you think man landing on the moon is still in a lot of people's living memories. It makes you realise there were loads of people who saw the development of the Wright Brothers plane turning into landing on the moon in their lifetime.

Yes. And that, for me, is really rather sad.

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Space is only black to visible light - in other wavelengths, like X-rays, gamma, radio, infrared and UV, there's a lot more going on. And that's how we know black holes are black - they don't throw out visible light in the way other bodies with mass do. Gravity dug the hole, and it's very efficient at it - the "stuff" (mass) hasn't actually gone anywhere, merely been compacted into a very, very small and dense area.

So what causes black holes? Could we as a human race 'create' one? Was there fears that the Hadron Collider would cause one? Or have i imagined that.

On 15/09/2020 at 07:58, theessexfox said:

Similarly, the development of language itself. How on Earth did people start saying words for things, and how did they then form into coherent sentences with verb tenses and adjectives, etc? And how did that happen independently of each other hundreds of thousands (?) of times? I don’t understand it whatsoever 

Agreed. I don't get it, did someone oneday just say "Hello" instead of caveman talk??

Also, there was an article on Wlliam Shakespeare a couple year back on his birthday and it listed words/phrases he first used in his plays. It was staggering. We're talking 1500s and he's uses stuff like "knock knock" for the first time.

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When blokes (oddly enough) say that female comedians just aren't funny.

I'd cheerily concede that a lot aren't, but is the proportion higher than that of the male ones? I have my doubts

I don't like standup comedy at all, male or female.

But I do like sitcoms/sketch shows and I must say Caroline Aherne was one of the very best. They did a fast show special a couple weeks back, to mark the anniversary I think, and it was so sad she's not there able to participate in it.

It's been ages since I had a pretext for posting a Half Man Half Biscuit track.

They couldn't get their heads around the idea of Bob Wilson, Anchorman (many older posters will agree, I'm sure):

Lord I've tried the best I can
I've asked everybody in Kazakhstan
But I still don't understand
Bob Wilson – anchorman
I've been to Kent, Gwent and Senegal
I've even been to look for Jim Rosenthal
Found him on his knees at the Wailing Wall
Crying: "Bob Wilson – anchorman"
Well I marvel at the things we find beneath the ground
And that man can go faster than the speed of sound
But I still can't get my head around
Bob Wilson – anchorman
It's cold and I'm hungry and I'm in Dundalk
I've got no bus fare, I've gotta walk
It's raining soup and I've got a fork
Where be my camper van?
Well I'd like to meet Stephenson the engineer
And I'd like to meet Faraday and buy him a beer
And I'd love to meet the bloke who had the bright idea of
Bob Wilson – anchorman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ollie93 said:

So what causes black holes? Could we as a human race 'create' one? Was there fears that the Hadron Collider would cause one? Or have i imagined that.

Black holes are most often (but not always) caused by the collapse of truly massive stars (usually more than 20 times the mass of our Sun). When a star runs out of hydrogen to convert to helium, the force of gravity at the centre of the star becomes much bigger than the outward gas pressure, which causes it to collapse - something that happens to most stars, including our own some 5 billion years from now. When a star with a high mass collapses, the force of gravity is so large (because of the increased mass) that it there is nothing, not even the force that binds subatomic particles together, than can stop the collapse. At some point, the force of gravity becomes so large that even light cannot escape, and you have a black hole.

Humans certainly could create a black hole if we learned how to manipulate and generate gravity in the correct fashion. That's a big if, though.

There was a lot of unfounded theories regarding the LHC creating a black hole through high-energy collisions, yeah. However, given that the energies involved at the LHC are some 10000000000000000 times smaller than what is necessary to create even the smallest black hole, there's a reason they are unfounded.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Black holes are most often (but not always) caused by the collapse of truly massive stars (usually more than 20 times the mass of our Sun). When a star runs out of hydrogen to convert to helium, the force of gravity at the centre of the star becomes much bigger than the outward gas pressure, which causes it to collapse - something that happens to most stars, including our own some 5 billion years from now. When a star with a high mass collapses, the force of gravity is so large (because of the increased mass) that it there is nothing, not even the force that binds subatomic particles together, than can stop the collapse. At some point, the force of gravity becomes so large that even light cannot escape, and you have a black hole.

Humans certainly could create a black hole if we learned how to manipulate and generate gravity in the correct fashion. That's a big if, though.

There was a lot of unfounded theories regarding the LHC creating a black hole through high-energy collisions, yeah. However, given that the energies involved at the LHC are some 10000000000000000 times smaller than what is necessary to create even the smallest black hole, there's a reason they are unfounded.

That's the bit that baffles me. How light can't escape, it's amazing whats happening out there that we don't know about.

1 minute ago, Ollie93 said:

That's the bit that baffles me. How light can't escape, it's amazing whats happening out there that we don't know about.

Exactly how gravity can act "faster than light" is one of the true mysteries of astrophysics, that's for sure.

To expand on the structure of a black hole a little more, most of what we see as "black" is in fact the "event horizon" - the point at which light cannot escape, hence, black. The core of the black hole itself - the singularity - is at the centre of that. Also, there are different types of black hole, based on size and how they originated.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Agreed. I don't get it, did someone oneday just say "Hello" instead of caveman talk??

Also, there was an article on Wlliam Shakespeare a couple year back on his birthday and it listed words/phrases he first used in his plays. It was staggering. We're talking 1500s and he's uses stuff like "knock knock" for the first time.

I've always been a bit cynical of people saying Shakespeare invented all these words though.

It's just the earliest we know a lot of these words were written down which we still have access to and this is back in a time when most people couldn't read or write. Especially as one of the things Shakespeare is more famous for is making plays for the working classes and writing in their language at a time when most people wrote in the upper classes.

Don't get me wrong, he obviously did invent loads of words, but there's nothing really telling us knock knock wasn't around in everyday conversation at the time.

4 hours ago, Sly said:

What’s funny to one person, isn’t funny to the next. 

Well of course that's completely true.

It sometimes feels to me though that blokes are a bit quicker to express how crap a comedian is if it's a woman.

What evidence do I have for this? Absolutely none, of course

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

This is fuchsntf..!! Nothing is serious..:banana:

Thanks for The thought..Things I just have to Live with now..but the various medi s,  occasionally blow coordination, & writings off the scale....but keeps foxestalk entertained...dunnit...

I am off to Trek- Mountains in Switzerland in my Wheelchair....Great Wchair wander-paths,in the Alps...Hard getting up,but Fun going down on tight corners,with only free-air below.....even more fun ,high on medis.....what do you mean Wchairs cant fly....Watch meeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :)

Have you been on meds for every post you've ever made? lol

59 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well of course that's completely true.

It sometimes feels to me though that blokes are a bit quicker to express how crap a comedian is if it's a woman.

What evidence do I have for this? Absolutely none, of course

As mentioned earlier, comedy is completely subjective. I found Monty Python hilarious, many people didn't. I like Micky Flanagan but can't abide Michael McIntyre.

As for British female comedians, I just don't get this list, especially as, IMO, one of the worst is number 1. But, clearly she is well liked by thousands.

Sarah Millican

Catherine Tate

Andi Osho

Lucy Porter

Ellie Taylor

Shazia Mirza

Isy Suttie

London Hughes

Bridget Christie

Katy Brand

Catherine Tate, Lucy Porter, Katy Brand, yes

Personally I like Catherine Ryan but she's not on the list

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Exactly how gravity can act "faster than light" is one of the true mysteries of astrophysics, that's for sure.

To expand on the structure of a black hole a little more, most of what we see as "black" is in fact the "event horizon" - the point at which light cannot escape, hence, black. The core of the black hole itself - the singularity - is at the centre of that. Also, there are different types of black hole, based on size and how they originated.

And to think you might be in the Kop end yelling "Come on you BLUUUUUES, are you ****ing blind, ref"? "Yoooouuu're shit. Aaaaaaagh"!

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Have you been on meds for every post you've ever made? lol

Quite frankly, heavy pain killers,Plus Neuropathie & Heart Tablets accompany my week more Days in the week than I would like...

I try to miss the odd day out..but then one gets caught on the hop occasionally....

Jesus There are worst off People than I,and I Dont Let my problems get on top...I

But usually in the last few years ,some parts of the week can Run away....

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

As mentioned earlier, comedy is completely subjective. I found Monty Python hilarious, many people didn't. I like Micky Flanagan but can't abide Michael McIntyre.

As for British female comedians, I just don't get this list, especially as, IMO, one of the worst is number 1. But, clearly she is well liked by thousands.

Sarah Millican

Catherine Tate

Andi Osho

Lucy Porter

Ellie Taylor

Shazia Mirza

Isy Suttie

London Hughes

Bridget Christie

Katy Brand

Catherine Tate, Lucy Porter, Katy Brand, yes

Personally I like Catherine Ryan but she's not on the list

None of them are funny. Not a sexist thing, most blokes aren't funny.

Catherine Ryan won't be on there because she's not British. Still not funny though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leicsmac said:

So is it possible, that because gravity acts faster than light, it could also act faster than time? Therefore in essence, you could travel back in time in a black hole?

1 hour ago, Ollie93 said:

So is it possible, that because gravity acts faster than light, it could also act faster than time? Therefore in essence, you could travel back in time in a black hole?

Yes - in fact exactly *because* it acts faster than light means that an observer traveling faster than light (like in a black hole) would be able to observe past events and therefore "time travel" - but only observe, not interact.

Of course, seeing as no "information" can be transmitted out of a black hole and we're a long way from mastering FTL travel, that particular area will remain purely theoretical for a while yet.

Tesco online assessment for a new job :( there are alot of jobs in my area for tesco but no matter how many times I have applied for a job in tesco they don't seem to get back in touch it says in review or being reviewed  for over a month also the more or less assessment they make you do i just don't seem to get them is there a way of doing it or is it put luck

11 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Tesco online assessment for a new job :( there are alot of jobs in my area for tesco but no matter how many times I have applied for a job in tesco they don't seem to get back in touch it says in review or being reviewed  for over a month also the more or less assessment they make you do i just don't seem to get them is there a way of doing it or is it put luck

You'd think they'd at least give you feedback as every little helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1