Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

Things you can't get your head around...

17 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

How the Internet works and even is a thing.

How you can press a button on something and it takes a picture to keep forever. 
How wireless works. How can my phone send my wireless headphones sounds to play in my ears or how can you use Bluetooth to send files/date through the air. 

On a similar topic to the previous, how the radio works. 

We live in the digital age. I never can understand how the binary programming thing works which ( I think) is the basis for all the digital stuff which is ( I think) when one is off  and two is on or both are off or both are on or one is on and two is off determines what the program does. And from this we get all the amazing tech. For me, I'm still amazed by how games consoles work. The graphics, the sound, the responses from an input from the controller. All of it, everywhere in everything the world does. Is binary still a thing? 

Edited by Parafox

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

We live in the digital age. I never can understand how the binary programming thing works which ( I think) is the basis for all the digital stuff which is ( I think) when one is off  and two is on or both are off or both are on or one is on and two is off determines what the program does. And from this we get all the amazing tech. For me, I'm still amazed by how games consoles work. The graphics, the sound, the responses from an input from the controller. All of it, everywhere in everything the world does. Is binary still a thing? 

Having been working in IT for more years than I want to remember, I know how it works and I'm always amazed any of it does anything useful  When I was taught how routing works (how your message gets from your computer to foxestalk and back again), the maths involved is so simple, and so elegant it brings a tear to this nerds eye. Now where did I put my bobble hat and flask?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pleatout said:

Having been working in IT for more years than I want to remember, I know how it works and I'm always amazed any of it does anything useful  When I was taught how routing works (how your message gets from your computer to foxestalk and back again), the maths involved is so simple, and so elegant it brings a tear to this nerds eye. Now where did I put my bobble hat and flask?

LOL. When I was at school, more years ago than I care to remember, they installed a computer. It took a whole classroom space and it took ages, sometimes a couple of days to program it using punched card strips that had to be manually made using some kind of typewriter keyboard to punch holes in the cards and then they had to be fed, in a strip, into a reader that recognised where the hole were and where they weren't. Which I guess is kind of where the binary system comes from. I remember COLOB but I have no idea what that means.

48 minutes ago, Parafox said:

LOL. When I was at school, more years ago than I care to remember, they installed a computer. It took a whole classroom space and it took ages, sometimes a couple of days to program it using punched card strips that had to be manually made using some kind of typewriter keyboard to punch holes in the cards and then they had to be fed, in a strip, into a reader that recognised where the hole were and where they weren't. Which I guess is kind of where the binary system comes from. I remember COLOB but I have no idea what that means.

This technology has been purchased on the cheap by the Premier League and is currently used to process VAR decisions. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

@lgfualol's username

I seem to recall he explained it once before.

I think it stands for something like I got fvcked up and laughed out loud or similar.

I'm sure he'll be along soon to confirm :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

David Attenborough was in his 50s in 1979. Knocked my socks off hearing that 

I'd be more confused if was in his 20's in 1979 considering he's 94.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

How you can remember the lyrics, tune, musical phrasing, drum breaks etc from songs or tunes you have heard years ago and how that comes back to mind almost perfectly when you hear it again. The brain is a fantastic thing. Even songs you didn't like or associate with or that were genuinely shit. Just listening to Britney Spears "One More Time." Horrible little song but I know the words!!! How, why? Even the classics stick.

I guess more complex and intricate musical compositions would be harder to recall. I don't really know the words to anything by Pink Floyd lol

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

How you can remember the lyrics, tune, musical phrasing, drum breaks etc from songs or tunes you have heard years ago and how that comes back to mind almost perfectly when you hear it again. The brain is a fantastic thing. Even songs you didn't like or associate with or that were genuinely shit. Just listening to Britney Spears "One More Time." Horrible little song but I know the words!!! How, why? Even the classics stick.

I guess more complex and intricate musical compositions would be harder to recall. I don't really know the words to anything by Pink Floyd lol

Or how you can wake up with the most random songs in your head. Literally can be anything. 
Or is that just me 😂

14 hours ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Or how you can wake up with the most random songs in your head. Literally can be anything. 
Or is that just me 😂

Happens to me every morning then I'm stuck with same song or one part of it, going round in my head all day. Today it's  just the chorus from "Love the Thought" by Simply Red. Drives me mad.

• Sad 1

On 08/10/2020 at 20:22, lgfualol said:

Hello friends,

L - Let's

G - Get

F - ****ed

U - Up

A - And

L - Laugh

O - Out

L - Loud

An old name I picked as a wee laddy, a lighter take on the song LGFUAD (Let's get ****ed up and die) by Motion City Soundtrack.

Belter. One of my favourite albums that.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Pulling. 

I've kinda embraced being absolutely useless at it after years of shame about it

Then I watch BBC iPlayer the other day on BBC's Frank Gardner. 59 year old paraplegic. Even he's pulled recently. That kinda hit home that I'll never get my head round pulling. 

As in pulling a bird?

People who take cocaine on weekends but are afraid of taking a vaccine. Like you're willing to risk a heart attack sniffing some mixed up baking powder shipped all the way from South America thats gone through about 30 different hands but the idea of a vaccine scares you. Just doesn't make sense to me. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Christoph said:

People who take cocaine on weekends but are afraid of taking a vaccine. Like you're willing to risk a heart attack sniffing some mixed up baking powder shipped all the way from South America thats gone through about 30 different hands but the idea of a vaccine scares you. Just doesn't make sense to me. 

Anti-vaxxers are mental.  See?

21 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Do these people exist or is it just something you've seen on social media and gone "ah yeah, good point" haha

47 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Do these people exist or is it just something you've seen on social media and gone "ah yeah, good point" haha

Nope they definitely exist. It usually helps if you know people who take cocaine on the weekend lol.