Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshy5

Castagne signing instead of a left back theory.

57 minutes ago, davieG said:

Probably start him as a sub in a more forward role to build his fitness.

I agree with this.. if Castagne continues his match form then there’s no need to change right back immediately. I’d happily let Ricardo gain match fitness in a more temporary forward role from the bench!

Edited by les-tah

43 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Sorry but I not sure where you get this from. If I can recover to my fitness levels pre rupturing my Patella Tendon, breaking my knee cap and tearing my ACL in one hit plus all done on the NHS within a year. A pro footballer that is 10 ish years younger that me with the worlds best surgeons, physios and spots phycologists can get back to his levels. 

1000's of footballs make full recoveries from ACL tears. ruptures and replacements. 

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/12/744

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

"65% of players still play at the top level 3 years after ACL rupture"

"4% of players re-rupture their ACL"

If you look at studies in other professional sports, even those that return suffer decreases in measurable output (MLB - batting power, NFL - receiving/rushing yards, etc).

For every player that comes back and has a full recovery, there are plenty of other players that never return to form (Matty James, Matt Piper, etc.) 

I truly hope that Ricardo makes a full recovery, and returns to being one of the best fullbacks in the Premier League, but i do not think it is the most likely outcome. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/50/12/744

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

"65% of players still play at the top level 3 years after ACL rupture"

"4% of players re-rupture their ACL"

If you look at studies in other professional sports, even those that return suffer decreases in measurable output (MLB - batting power, NFL - receiving/rushing yards, etc).

For every player that comes back and has a full recovery, there are plenty of other players that never return to form (Matty James, Matt Piper, etc.) 

I truly hope that Ricardo makes a full recovery, and returns to being one of the best fullbacks in the Premier League, but i do not think it is the most likely outcome. 

pretty sure he didn't rapture it though? If he did the bloke is a machine for playing the rest of the game as there would have been nothing holding his knee cap in on one side? I thought it was a tear? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Club always needs to have replacements ready to come in so this nothing out of the ordinary. But with Vardy aging, Mahrez and Kante already long gone, Ricardo is the only other player I would say is truly world class in our squad. Soyuncu may come into that category one day, Evans is pretty close to it already, but Ricardo is truly someone special. So, at all costs, please keep him. Get into top 4 and convince him with champions league football, something when he was injured he would have thought we have truly in the bag.

I dont think there are many better than Ndidi in his position. When hes on top form hes one of the best cdms in the world in my opinion. Passing needs a little work but his tackling and interception stats are always incredible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

I would be very surprised if Ricardo returns to last seasons form after suffering an ACL injury of his severity. 

but was it that severe, didn't he play on after doing it & usually they crumple in a heap.  :fc: it wasn't the full blown ACL rupture that others have had which affects their game.

27 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

but was it that severe, didn't he play on after doing it & usually they crumple in a heap.  :fc: it wasn't the full blown ACL rupture that others have had which affects their game.

I think this is all the public knowledge on his injury:

- He did play on it, and he didn't think it was that bad of an injury.

- He had a scan that revealed it was a much more substantial injury.

- He had surgery, and the initial prognosis was that he would be out 4-6 months with 6-9 months being "more realistic." 

So we can only speculate that it was perhaps a partial tear vs a full rupture. But we don't know that for certain.

2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I would be very surprised if Ricardo returns to last seasons form after suffering an ACL injury of his severity. 

I've torn my ACL. As far as the ACL goes it's either partial or full tear. Sometimes there are injuries caused by the tearing and the mechanism of injury. In my case the meniscus, patella tendon, MCL and PCL were torn too, not to mention vertical fractures in the thigh and shin bones. So, does anyone know the extent of Ricardo's injuries? For the record I struggle to get in and out of the bath 3 years on! 😂

Edited by Saigon Fox

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

He played well. Positioning will come in time.

A balanced appraisal, but that first twenty minutes or so against a quality side would have seen the game out of sight and virtually this entire forum braying for him to exiled to some Siberian salt mine, or worse still, a loan spell with Swindon.

I agree that he has great potential, I see him as a more attack minded version of Simpson - but given our current situation - the positioning needs to come now. There is no such thing as 'time' at this level unless you are being acclimatised and gradually phased in like Thomas. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Line-X said:

A balanced appraisal, but that first twenty minutes or so against a quality side would have seen the game out of sight and virtually this entire forum braying for him to exiled to some Siberian salt mine, or worse still, a loan spell with Swindon.

I agree that he has great potential, I see him as a more attack minded version of Simpson - but given our current situation - the positioning needs to come now. There is no such thing as 'time' at this level unless you are being acclimatised and gradually phased in like Thomas. 

Fact is we have Pereira waiting in the wings so Justin basically is being phased in like Thomas. I'm just saying he had a good game and the criticism he's getting seems harsh given he was a big part in the win as things transpired.

2 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

Didn't realise this, so we've got what looks like 3 decent full backs that can play right or left and hopefully Thomas coming through.

I love this. We can be a Gilles "switch" and "whirl" team again..or the Hogan 'Danubian School', the lost holy grail that Brendan seems to be pursuing,.  

15 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Fact is we have Pereira waiting in the wings so Justin basically is being phased in like Thomas. I'm just saying he had a good game and the criticism he's getting seems harsh given he was a big part in the win as things transpired.

Agree, but as I mentioned, he also nearly cost us the game and against a superior side that may not have 'transpired'.

34 minutes ago, shailen said:

We've got the best right back in the world imo. People love TAA because of his dead ball ability and crossing which is unreal but Ricardo has more in his overall game. We'll do well to keep him here for long without showing we can help him to progress his career. 

TAA is brilliant going forward but not so much in defence.....often seems out of position. Liverpool took him off with 10 mins to go against Leeds and its not for the first time.

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

I love this. We can be a Gilles "switch" and "whirl" team again..or the Hogan 'Danubian School', the lost holy grail that Brendan seems to be pursuing,.  

I believe it was Johan Cruyff who wanted his Barcelona players to be  able to play in any position "total football"...its good to have adaptable players such as Ndidi who can and are willing to change as and when needed. Remember Pat Crerand saying George Best would have been the best player on the pitch at Man Utd whatever position  he started in.

31 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

I believe it was Johan Cruyff who wanted his Barcelona players to be  able to play in any position "total football"...its good to have adaptable players such as Ndidi who can and are willing to change as and when needed. Remember Pat Crerand saying George Best would have been the best player on the pitch at Man Utd whatever position  he started in.

No, that originally came from 'The Golden Team'. Hungary 1950 -1956....the 'Match of The Century' which ushered in continental coaching and tactics in the UK and also influenced the Dutch in the 1970s. Busby epitomised this approach with Manchester United as did Gillies at Leicester. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Sorry but I not sure where you get this from. If I can recover to my fitness levels pre rupturing my Patella Tendon, breaking my knee cap and tearing my ACL in one hit plus all done on the NHS within a year. A pro footballer that is 10 ish years younger that me with the worlds best surgeons, physios and spots phycologists can get back to his levels. 

1000's of footballs make full recoveries from ACL tears. ruptures and replacements. 

Recovering to fitness levels is different for a civilian, there are tiny marginal differences that can mean a huge problem for an elite athlete that a regular person wouldn't necessarily notice. Not saying Ricardo won't recover fully, he could, but there is the chance that he won't.

• Like 2