Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshy5

Castagne signing instead of a left back theory.

Just now, Walshy5 said:

I have a theory on why we signed him instead of an out and out left back. This is just a theory and based on any facts or inside sources. I think the people in incharge at the club fully expect Ricardo to leave next season. Castagne will play LB for now when Ricardo returns from injury but then next season will replace him at RB, by which time Luke Thomas will be experienced enough to become the first choice permanent LB.

The plan was to sign a RB and a LB, but I knew from way before the signing that the first (and possibly only) in would be a RB.

Justin and Castagne can both play either side.

Ricardo's injury might mean he's never the same player again. We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Just now, kingcarr21 said:

Its a theory that many on here have suggested. Which is a sound theory as Ricardo, if he carries on playing like he has done, will go into any team in the world

I've honestly not seen anyone else suggest it but in that case it seems many have the same thoughts. I only tend to visit the forum these days during the latter stages of the transfer windows.

2 minutes ago, Walshy5 said:

I've honestly not seen anyone else suggest it but in that case it seems many have the same thoughts. I only tend to visit the forum these days during the latter stages of the transfer windows.

Don't blame you, as the forum is just crazy with transfer stories and following planes chasing signings lol 

2 minutes ago, Walshy5 said:

I have a theory on why we signed him instead of an out and out left back. This is just a theory and not based on any facts or inside sources. I think the people in incharge at the club fully expect Ricardo to leave next season. Castagne will play LB for now when Ricardo returns from injury but then next season will replace him at RB, by which time Luke Thomas will be experienced enough to become the first choice permanent LB.

I thought this was generally accepted. I think, as you say, the club had identified Castagne as a target fully expecting him to leave and was nothing to do with the imminent departure of Chilwell. 

3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Justin and Castagne can both play either side.

Could someone remind him of that?

4 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Ricardo's injury might mean he's never the same player again. We shall see.

I dunno, lots of players return even stronger from an ACL injury, I mean look at Matty Ja...

Oh. 

From what I’ve seen of Luke Thomas im not sure we can say he’s going to be a nailed on premier league starter within a year.

Seems like he has great potential but that’s about it at the moment let’s just let him develop maybe even a loan or 2 before he gets into the team. 

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 4

I think Justin is better on the left side vs the right, even though many think he is a right sided player, and I think Justin might be capable of holding that position whilst Ricardo is injured, then Castagne will slot in there.

Hopefully Ricardo still remains effective after he recovers.

Edited by Chrysalis

7 minutes ago, Walshy5 said:

I have a theory on why we signed him instead of an out and out left back. This is just a theory and not based on any facts or inside sources. I think the people in incharge at the club fully expect Ricardo to leave next season. Castagne will play LB for now when Ricardo returns from injury but then next season will replace him at RB, by which time Luke Thomas will be experienced enough to become the first choice permanent LB.

Club always needs to have replacements ready to come in so this nothing out of the ordinary. But with Vardy aging, Mahrez and Kante already long gone, Ricardo is the only other player I would say is truly world class in our squad. Soyuncu may come into that category one day, Evans is pretty close to it already, but Ricardo is truly someone special. So, at all costs, please keep him. Get into top 4 and convince him with champions league football, something when he was injured he would have thought we have truly in the bag.

I said this is another thread but Congerton has watched Castagne for a very long time and he first came up when he was a RB in a four at Genk. Likewise he watched Justin primarily as a left-back at Luton. That to me makes sense to play both in their best positions from when they were originally scouted.

Whether that means Castagne will stay on the right when Ricardo is back, I don't know. Ricky is back running but he will probably still need another month or so to reach a point where he can start training and playing again, and then you have to build up football fitness for the first time in 7 months. So there's a chance we see Ricardo back playing every other game or perhaps even less to start with, with Castagne a very able deputy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, les-tah said:

From what I’ve seen of Luke Thomas im not sure we can say he’s going to be a nailed on premier league starter within a year.

Seems like he has great potential but that’s about it at the moment let’s just let him develop maybe even a loan or 2 before he gets into the team. 

Yeah totally agree. Think it would be a big gamble to put all our hopes on Luke Thomas

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I said this is another thread but Congerton has watched Castagne for a very long time and he first came up when he was a RB in a four at Genk. Likewise he watched Justin primarily as a left-back at Luton. That to me makes sense to play both in their best positions from when they were originally scouted.

Whether that means Castagne will stay on the right when Ricardo is back, I don't know. Ricky is back running but he will probably still need another month or so to reach a point where he can start training and playing again, and then you have to build up football fitness for the first time in 7 months. So there's a chance we see Ricardo back playing every other game or perhaps even less to start with, with Castagne a very able deputy.

Probably start him as a sub in a more forward role to build his fitness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I think Justin is better on the left side vs the right, even though many think he is a right sided player, and I think Justin might be capable of holding that position whilst Ricardo is injured, then Castagne will slot in there.

Hopefully Ricardo still remains effective after he recovers.

Don't forget how good Justin looked in the villa game on the left, him and Barnes looked great down that side and a lot of people were calling for him not to lose his place just because Chilwell became available again, it was Rcardo's injury in the Villa game that caused Justin to have to switch to the right.

12 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Ricardo could well be playing catchup all season, it's a strange one this season but it's not unusual for a player to struggle when missing a normal pre season, this ones a bit different but with an injury like that you never quite know how it's going to work out, perhaps no one will come for him next season.

8 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I would be very surprised if Ricardo returns to last seasons form after suffering an ACL injury of his severity. 

Sorry but I not sure where you get this from. If I can recover to my fitness levels pre rupturing my Patella Tendon, breaking my knee cap and tearing my ACL in one hit plus all done on the NHS within a year. A pro footballer that is 10 ish years younger that me with the worlds best surgeons, physios and spots phycologists can get back to his levels. 

1000's of footballs make full recoveries from ACL tears. ruptures and replacements. 

26 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Seen a lot of stick for Justin over the past 24 hours. A shaky first 10 or 15 aside I thought he was very solid.

Granted he wasn't tested all that much but let's not forget he won the penalty, played the ball to Barnes from which that penalty arose, and also got the assist for Praet's assist.

As farfetched as all that may sound, it amounts to a key involvement in all 3 of our goals. 

He played well. Positioning will come in time.

You're spot on with this. He also played a nice cutback that put Barnes in when he put it straight at the keeper. 

I think a lot of the negativity comes from the "please don't get sent off" feeling we all had for most of the game. In reality though, he never looked like getting sent off after the first yellow, he kept it sensible, stayed in his feet and was solid for the rest of the game. 

Great overall performance in my opinion! 

59 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Players have come back from ACL... but Pereira is so rapid and dynamic and full blooded in everything he does that a 10% reduction anywhere, even if its in his own conviction, will be hugely damaging.

Fingers crossed.

When he does get back, could be a few months before he's back to beast mode, if ever.

Always seemed such a natural footballer/athlete so should be easy to see any drop off in performance.