Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Surprised people aren't more positive about Cengo. It's still a settling in period for him and I've enjoyed his performances so far. You can see how much talent and skill that he has; for me he is already our best option at RW and I'm sure he will get even better with time.

I do find it strange that people are already willing to write him off after such little play time

Only times he has started has been in heavily rotated sides in the Europa League and then a few sub appearances in the Prem

We have reached December and he has just 441 minutes of play time (not even 5 games worth)

He needs an extended run of starts to get going, rather than the bit part he currently is

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I do find it strange that people are already willing to write him off after such little play time

Only times he has started has been in heavily rotated sides in the Europa League and then a few sub appearances in the Prem

We have reached December and he has just 441 minutes of play time (not even 5 games worth)

He needs an extended run of starts to get going, rather than the bit part he currently is

I don't think people are writing him off, it just that forward players are always judge on output in goals and assists.

I think we have been desperate for more quality in wide areas for some time, and people just get frustrated. 

It's a while since we brought an attacking player who hit the ground running.

I think he will do fine, but I would be pleasantly surprised if he finished the season with more then 10 goal/assist contributions in the PL. 

Edited by coolhandfox

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Agreed def more game time needed, I think he will end up doing extremely well his pace and individual skill are good and he isn't afraid to have a shot outside the box he will be on target soon hopefully Thursday night to be exact I predict 2 goals or at least assists from him.

For me its acknowledgement that weve secured a loan with option and not obligated. Hes done okay, glimpses of some good stuff, others not so. 

It's a work probation period in essence. He wants to do well, play regularly. If by May weve seen real progression and more quality youd imagine it'll be done. If not, weve saved ourselves another shed load of money.

Think of how many players youd have not signed though after a season long loan, we'd have said no to Vardy after his first season! 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't think people are writing him off, it just that forward players are always judge on output in goals and assists.

I think we have been desperate for more quality in wide areas for some time, and people just get frustrated. 

It's a while since we brought an attacking player who hit the ground running.

I think he will do fine, but I would be pleasantly surprised if he finished the season with more then 10 goal/assist contributions in the PL. 

But he got 3 assists in 4 games (or just over 90 mins playing time) v Arsenal, Leeds and Braga (H) before the international break. That is excellent, especially when taking into account that he scored in both games for Turkey straight after.

Unfortunately since the international break he has had very little opportunity. He was brought on in a losing cause at Liverpool, started on the bench v Fulham (when he was one of the few who looked lively after coming on), before not getting on at all v Sheff U. Feel he would have played a lot more had we not had so many injuries in defence, causing BR to set up more conservatively.

My concern is, given the current system that he won't get a run of games to establish himself here and the longer that happens, the easier it will be for the club to decide against paying £24m for him. 

Its going to be difficult enough as it is to give Harvey Barnes enough football in this set up as well as Ünder which is hugely frustrating. Hopefully the club can overcome these comical relapses with Ricardo, Castagne and Soyuncu and see if Rodgers is true to his word and we go back to 4-1-4-1.

42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My concern is, given the current system that he won't get a run of games to establish himself here and the longer that happens, the easier it will be for the club to decide against paying £24m for him. 

Its going to be difficult enough as it is to give Harvey Barnes enough football in this set up as well as Ünder which is hugely frustrating. Hopefully the club can overcome these comical relapses with Ricardo, Castagne and Soyuncu and see if Rodgers is true to his word and we go back to 4-1-4-1.

I don't think Rodgers sees the 3 back as a long term option, once we have a fully fit squad.

I would be surprised if we exercise the option to buy Under at 24m, unless he totally rips it up. With the current economic climate across world football there will be a lot of cheaper options.  Players like Hakan Calhanoglu, Florian Thauvin, Lucas Vázquez to name a few all out of contract in the summer.

Edited by coolhandfox

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't think Rodgers sees the 3 back as a long term option, once we have a fully fit squad.

I would be surprised if we exercise the option to buy Under at 24m, unless he totally rips it up. With the current economic climate across world football there will be a lot of cheaper options.  Players like Hakan Calhanoglu, Florian Thauvin, Lucas Vázquez to name a few all out of contract in the summer.

Its getting the squad back fully fit though that is the issue. Does he need all 3 back to play 4-1-4-1 or just Ricardo and/or Castagne?

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Its getting the squad back fully fit though that is the issue. Does he need all 3 back to play 4-1-4-1 or just Ricardo and/or Castagne?

For me its one of Riccardo/Castange and Ndidi and we are good to go.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

For me its one of Riccardo/Castange and Ndidi and we are good to go.

Yeah, Ndidi being the essential cog to this. I think we could almost afford to play it with Thomas and Justin in the short term but Ndidi needs to be in fine fettle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Anyone remember when we started to play 5 at the back, after which injury?

No injury saw the change in system, he's flirted it with since the moment he joined including the first match at Watford. But this season it all started from the Man City win, although the game against Arsenal in the Cup he also set up that way for some reason despite opening the season with two wins in 4-1-4-1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, Ndidi being the essential cog to this. I think we could almost afford to play it with Thomas and Justin in the short term but Ndidi needs to be in fine fettle.

Maybe I think he concern about Thomas 19, Fofana 19, Justin 21.

Put a lot pressure on Evans.

1 minute ago, messerschmitt said:

Anyone remember when we started to play 5 at the back, after which injury?

It was once we lost Chilwell on top of Ndidi and Riccardo, I think.

2 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

No injury saw the change in system, he's flirted it with since the moment he joined including the first match at Watford. But this season it all started from the Man City win, although the game against Arsenal in the Cup he also set up that way for some reason despite opening the season with two wins in 4-1-4-1.

He played it at the backend of last season when we were suffering with injuries after the restart.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. Ndidi drops into the space between the two centre backs when needed, so no need for 3 at the back once he returns to full fitness.

People forget how pivotal he is to this team. Not sure what we'll do about Mendy though, as he's had such a good season in Wilf's absence.

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 3

I think all we need is ndidi to comfortably return to 4 at the back. 

I don’t buy Brendan’s excuse tbh, the only difference would be that Fuchs/ Thomas play at left back. 

It’s like Brendan’s forgotten that’s actually his position. He’s always covered well there. 

Either that or he simply doesn’t think Fofana is good enough for a 2 (which would be very odd) 

51 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Agreed. Ndidi drops into the space between the two centre backs when needed, so no need for 3 at the back once he returns to full fitness.

People forget how pivotal he is to this team. Not sure what we'll do about Mendy though, as he's had such a good season in Wilf's absence.

Mendy works for when we sit back and we need that extra bit of quality to bring the ball up the field when we counter attack.

Ndidi works for when we need to keep the ball on the attacking side of the pitch. He's a Ball hunting animal. Unless Rodgers plays

4141 every match I don't see why Mendy shouldn't see time on the field and would hate to see our counter attacking option put on the scrap heap. Unless Ndidi can learn to improve his distribution and Mendy becomes a pressing animal I think there's match time for them both.

Supporters think that Rodgers will let Under leave after looking at the options he's had for attackers?

Get off that crack pipe!

The only way Cengiz leaves is to break out of the cage that Rodgers will have him in.

6 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Supporters think that Rodgers will let Under leave after looking at the options he's had for attackers?

Get off that crack pipe!

The only way Cengiz leaves is to break out of the cage that Rodgers will have him in.

Only time will tell, but looking at the football world at the moment, there are going to be a few club across Europe looking to lighten their financial burden.

Which may open the door to cheaper long term options then securing Under for 24 million.  

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

He just lightens the load on Wilf's shoulders, if we go deep in the Europa and FC Cup we are going to be looking at between 50-60 games this season. 

Edited by coolhandfox