Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

Do you folks think we will end up signing him on a permanent deal? I know its early days and he is still getting used to us and the league but personally I am not convinced.

He has some lovely touches, fantastic tekkers and a fair shot on him. However, from what I have seen so far he is not a Leicester player. He loses discipline from right and cuts in and falls out of position and also he keeps hold of the ball far too long. The positives are he is 23, has over half a season to prove his worth and has shown glimpses of what he can do. Hopefully Rodgers can coach him into what we need but so far, the coins in the air for me.

Guest Hansifüx

Pretty sure about the permanent signing, unless he is injured. But it does depend on the pandemic situation. We could  probably sign him and sell him right away for more ... Just think about this for a second, would you want our opposition  in PL have Under in their team play right wing against us?

He's good.  

He will get better and better as he assimilates.  

There was a post that he 'is not a Leiester player'.  Hogwash.

A lot of our players by standards of the past are not Leicester players; they are too  good.

If Leicester work with Cenghis and Cenghis works with Leicester, we have one hell of a player

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Do you folks think we will end up signing him on a permanent deal? I know its early days and he is still getting used to us and the league but personally I am not convinced.

He has some lovely touches, fantastic tekkers and a fair shot on him. However, from what I have seen so far he is not a Leicester player. He loses discipline from right and cuts in and falls out of position and also he keeps hold of the ball far too long. The positives are he is 23, has over half a season to prove his worth and has shown glimpses of what he can do. Hopefully Rodgers can coach him into what we need but so far, the coins in the air for me.

I think that it's precisely his unpredictability and willingness to have a go that makes him a great prospect. I just hope Rodgers doesn't do too much of a job on him and turn him into a safety first,  pass the ball backwards tippy tappy clone. We lack players in the game and certainly at Leicester that are willing to take opposition players on. Defenders hate it. I'm sure no-one looks forward to playing against Marhez for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think that it's precisely his unpredictability and willingness to have a go that makes him a great prospect. I just hope Rodgers doesn't do too much of a job on him and turn him into a safety first,  pass the ball backwards tippy tappy clone. We lack players in the game and certainly at Leicester that are willing to take opposition players on. Defenders hate it. I'm sure no-one looks forward to playing against Marhez for example. 

Under and Mahrez are worlds apart. 

Mahrez was exceptional at getting into a position where it was almost certain that he'd score and required massive opposition attention to nullify him, which meant more space to our other players which was overlooked by many fans. 

Under seems likes he has the tricks but doesn't have that threat like Mahrez did so kind of just becomes a good player to be dealt with generally by the opposition. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

Remember that Mahrez acclimatised to English football in the Championship and to some extent had Knockaert as a mentor. He made bad decisions, was poor at tracking back and was very light weight. If we expect Under who is of a similar age as Mahrez was when he joined Leicester to adapt and be of the same quality as the finished article that Mahrez was when he left, then that is a massive ask for Under to take on board and personally I think an unrealistic one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Mahrez was exceptional at getting into a position where it was almost certain that he'd score and required massive opposition attention to nullify him, which meant more space to our other players which was overlooked by many fans. 

Under seems likes he has the tricks but doesn't have that threat like Mahrez did so kind of just becomes a good player to be dealt with generally by the opposition. 

You're quite right of course and it wasn't my intention to directly compare the two in quite that way but, even Marhez, as skilful as he was, was quite raw when he arrived here and had to adapt. But importantly, nobody it appears tried to change him dramatically other than Ranieri, according to Marhez himself, dropped him a couple of times for not working hard enough which is quite different.

Good coaching is a must but sometimes I think we try and coach too much and miss out on the natural abilities of some players. The prospect, if supported by other team-mates, of Barnes and Under being prepared to run at opposition defences could be potentially devastating. I could see Ricardo and Under being a huge problem for the opposition. We saw the effect against AEK of Thomas and Barnes working in tandem but Fuchs was always unlikely to be able to compliment him in the same way against Everton. If we don't want to use to the full, the potential abilities of these two players, I'm sure there'd be plenty of takers who would. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

...I see your point with him, it probably is not right to compare the two!!!

Mahrez with his introduction to us was potential, but he was not frightening defenses or drawing attention away from our other players. Hard to believe what he would become and his development was slow and he grew into the team.

Vardy was a good foil for him, someone to link up to and if anything the attention on Vardy drew the space for Riyad to work in. They started keying off each other which empowered Mahrez who then started to indulge in cutting in and shooting across the keeper. It all built from there.

We are not looking at the finish article at the moment, Ünder trying to impress, is counter productive and until he believes he is part of the team and is regularly starting games we are not going to see the best of him.

• Like 1

I think he plays better with an overlapping full-back/midfielder, (depending on the formation), allowing him more space when cutting inside, and needs more support on the right if played there rather than just expected to get wide and bang crosses in all the time like Sharky would.  If he's left upfield by himself he seems to run into roadblocks, and therefore has to shoot early from distance.  Maybe someday he'll be good enough to take them all on, like Mahrez could, but not yet...

I'd like to see him with Ricardo or Castagne behind him, as brilliant as Justin has been (and will continue to be) Pereira is a different league in terms of attacking movement. Under almost instinctively gets rid of the ball and immediately looks to get into space, he's arguably the pick of our current squad at it - and I think he'd work some lovely little combinations with Ricardo and his intelligence up top. At the moment we're a little conservative in that regard and I think it stifles him a bit.

Very tricky to fully judge anybody until we've seen them play in a side that isn't a completely hodge-podge.

• Like 3

I think he's an upgrade on what we had there, but I do think there is better out there as well. Saying that I still think it's quite early days for him, and I can forgive him as even when he's having an off day, he is at least willing to take those risks and plenty in our side don't.

I'd give him 6.5/10. Scope for that to go up though.

I think Under is top drawer, and if he stays injury-free we most likely will sign in and it'll be a bargain (at today's prices).

And, unlike some, glad that he takes the shot from distance. Way too often, we pass around the ball too much around the opposition box, seemingly trying to walk the ball into the net until we invariably lose possession. Compare our possession stats in the final third to actual attempts, and it's criminal.