Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Left Back

Our club develops youngsters. And as seen with Chilwell development can be painful. You pretty much have to suck it up. I mean, the kid’s fresh and raw. You want him to become better? Then you need to play him. He’s hardly had half a season yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

@Foxy_Bear I see you're still championing the signing of someone like Sessegnon (appreciate he's gone elsewhere), but its been mentioned numerous times, if you do, who aren't you playing out of Ricardo and Castagne when both are fit?

You play whoever is training and performing the better of the options available at the time. If that isn't Pereira or Castagne then so be it. Nobody should ever have a guaranteed place in the team forever just because they're already here, that's not how you improve the team.

11 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

You play whoever is training and performing the better of the options available at the time. If that isn't Pereira or Castagne then so be it. Nobody should ever have a guaranteed place in the team forever just because they're already here, that's not how you improve the team.

I understand that, but do you honestly think we've gone out and signed Castagne with the intention of playing him as second fiddle to Ricardo. Yeah if form is poor or theres an injury we don't have to play both, but you honestly think we've signed Castagne to be benched or bench one of our best players and to have to go out and sign another full back. Of course not, the intention is clearly Ricardo RB, Castsgne LB. Yet people at desperate to sign yet another left back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

@Foxy_Bear I see you're still championing the signing of someone like Sessegnon (appreciate he's gone elsewhere), but its been mentioned numerous times, if you do, who aren't you playing out of Ricardo and Castagne when both are fit?

Like I've said (numerous times), castagne and Ricardo start. Mew LB on the Bench. 

If we go into a game with two natural RB's in our starting 11, it feels a bit counter productive to have another natural RB on the bench. Ok, two of the 3 maybe of a high quality but sometimes you just need a naturally left sided player if they are up against a particularly savvy RWer. 

Also, as I have mentioned, there is a chance Ricardo is our big sale next summer. If that happens, Castagne will no doubt move to the right meaning we are going to need a LB anyway. This is why I was suggesting a loan with an option.... Player does well, we sign as first team LB  player doesn't we would have to search anyway.... 

Fairly sure Timmy was always the LB replacement that can do a (very) good job at RB.

I thought it would be

20/21 - chillwell leaves and is replaced by Timmy

21/22 - Ricardo leaves, Timmy moves to RB and we get a LB replacement or JJ has improved enough

That way we don't get done over in the transfer market like we could have been this year when we're getting quoted silly money for a LB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I understand that, but do you honestly think we've gone out and signed Castagne with the intention of playing him as second fiddle to Ricardo. Yeah if form is poor or theres an injury we don't have to play both, but you honestly think we've signed Castagne to be benched or bench one of our best players and to have to go out and sign another full back. Of course not, the intention is clearly Ricardo RB, Castsgne LB. Yet people at desperate to sign yet another left back.

If that's the case it's fair to ask why he's been playing at RB when Justin is a RB too. Surely the logical thing to do would be to use this time to start bedding him in at LB.

• Like 1

Not sure this thread goes anywhere. Like many, I’m far from convinced about JJ, but if Brendan wants to play five at the back, in a few games time we will be -

Fofana   Evans   Soyuncu 

Ricardo                                    Castagne 

Without throwing obscene amounts of money at it, we aren’t improving on that. For a

couple of games, we have to hope our back up players can do their jobs. 

41 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

If that's the case it's fair to ask why he's been playing at RB when Justin is a RB too. Surely the logical thing to do would be to use this time to start bedding him in at LB.

Because Ricardo might play on the left?

or Because Justin is seen as left back backup and as the least experienced we're giving him the time there?

I know what you're saying as I thought the same myself, but there could be a number of reasons as to why. 

Just now, Nod.E said:

Soyuncu has been worse than Justin this season. 

Some players are immune from criticism and others prone to it. Weird.

He's been pretty poor since Christmas, so was most of the team so it never really stood out, but it is at the moment. I said the other day I wasn't entirely sure how much Rodgers actually trusts him. 

Justin is inconsistent currently, and it seems harsh to me that he gets criticised for every mistake he makes. He isn't going to be perfect, we're not going to sign a left back now because what do we when Ricardo is fit? 

On a good day he provides some much needed energy into the side. 

Scapegoat,scapegoat......Alarm alarm...

FT again showing quite pathetically its Lack of character & undertanding of Player Development and its twists & turns.I

So much Waffle..its incredible..!!

I Trust more  in Justins capabilities,than I do FTs potential of ever being able to Pick a player...or even select a Bakery Team & formation...!!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

Justin is doing ok, he's had some very good performances and some poor ones. He's also made a few mistakes in games, got slated and then 2nd half had a hand in a goal or two for us and yet still some fans won't have it.

Our injury problems have been worse than we have been accustomed to, as 2nd/3rd choice he is exactly what you want in a player. I've no real concerns over whether he is good enough for this level.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

You'll find he was out muscled and out jumped (outjamp??) For both Burnley goals. 

And if you want to mention the Man City game, let's mention when he was caught under the ball and instead of heading the ball out for another corner, he twisted his body to blindly flick the ball behind him where Mahrez was waiting to score....

he was defending "his" corner with a MC Player on him...he did his job...!!! There was no midfield ready to clear or protect that space...PLUS Schmeichel had warned his Team to Cover that area...FBs & CBs have their positions & Jobs at corners...Blaming Justin is Well Off the mark.

Against Burnley..a Two handed blatant push is deemed acceptable. :dunno:.Woods goal should Never of stood....

Again too many Posters over analysing at the wrong moment...

Ricardo is the best right back at the club. Castagne is the best left back at the club (going on accounts from Atalanta/Belgium fans etc). So when all are fit, this is the starting positions sorted.

At the moment, James Justin is not cutting it from a defensive aspect. I think this issue is further highlighted with Ndidi being absent, and unable to cover the holes, as JJ and Timmy bomb on. Mendy is not as good as Ndidi at this. Good, but not as good.

For me, I feel JJ will come good, but for the next couple of games, I would like to see Fuchs drop into Left back, and see us concentrate on clean sheets. I feel what Fuchs lacks in pace going forward, he makes up with good distribution, yet is more solid defensively. 

JJ will have played a lot of games recently, including his England u21 exploits. Bench.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Because you play the better player in their natural position.  And because Castagne doesn't need bedding on the left - he's played half his career there.  He'll make the transition without any problem.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Soyuncu has been worse than Justin this season. 

Some players are immune from criticism and others prone to it. Weird.

Nothing to do with that. Soyuncu has cash in the bank and has proved he can and has excelled at this level. Justin still has it all to prove so there are obviously going to be more doubts and criticism towards someone like him as many are yet to see if he's capable of being good enough at this level.