Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Left Back

3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Nothing to do with that. Soyuncu has cash in the bank and has proved he can and has excelled at this level. Justin still has it all to prove so there are obviously going to be more doubts and criticism towards someone like him as many are yet to see if he's capable of being good enough at this level.

So you have to burst on to the scene to avoid criticism? Seems healthy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

The problem is a  % of the Justin doubters,will be over-scrutinising the young lad...meaning OTT comments.

Any player with the ability and skill of James Justin would have be an absolute moron to come on this board and expect to read anything of value. To get to this level of their profession you have to have self belief in spades. Let the morons be morons its what this place is for. :hamza:

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

Any player with the ability and skill of James Justin would have be an absolute moron to come on this board and expect to read anything of value. To get to this level of their profession you have to have self belief in spades. Let the morons be morons its what this place is for. :hamza:

I wonder what the collective noun for morons is?

Are we a mound of morons?  A thicket of morons?  Maybe a clod of morons?  No, a morass of morons.

Bring on the international break with no transfer speculation.  Gonna be a long fortnight.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Fairly sure Timmy was always the LB replacement that can do a (very) good job at RB.

I thought it would be

20/21 - chillwell leaves and is replaced by Timmy

21/22 - Ricardo leaves, Timmy moves to RB and we get a LB replacement or JJ has improved enough

That way we don't get done over in the transfer market like we could have been this year when we're getting quoted silly money for a LB

Then he should have been playing at LB (even though I personally disagree that we necessarily need a left-footed LB).  

It would make sense to play him at RB if Justin is a natural LB, but otherwise it makes little logical sense as Justin has not proven to be a better LB than he was a RB. If anything, Justin has arguably been better playing as RB than he has been at LB (albeit I think he has been respectable at LB). 

Edited by NaijaFox

16 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Because you play the better player in their natural position.  And because Castagne doesn't need bedding on the left - he's played half his career there.  He'll make the transition without any problem.

In other words, play the LESS capable (albeit not synonymous with incapable) player in their LESS natural position?

Frankly, if a right-footed RB Castagne is a better player than a right-footed RB Justin, then he is just as likely to be a better right-footed LB than Justin is. Accordingly, if the long-term plan is to have Castagne at LB, the sooner he gets situated thereat the better - unless of course it turns out that Justin is actually the better LB, in which case we have a different set of issues.

Meanwhile, that Castagne may well have arguably "played half his career" at LB is merely akin to Slimani having played all of his career as a striker or Silva having played as a midfielder. He still has to competently do so here at Leicester City, and the sooner the better if that's the long-term goal, especially as Justin has thus far NOT shown to be better at LB than at RB. 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

I strongly disagree.  It's the same argument about turning Ricardo into a winger.  Play your best talent where they play best and fit the pieces around them.

One of the things that drives me nuts about BR is his relentless drive to play guys out of position.  I'm assuming it's all tied into his obsessive need to prove he's the smartest guy in the stadium every week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I strongly disagree.  It's the same argument about turning Ricardo into a winger.  Play your best talent where they play best and fit the pieces around them.

One of the things that drives me nuts about BR is his relentless drive to play guys out of position.  I'm assuming it's all tied into his obsessive need to prove he's the smartest guy in the stadium every week.

No, it is not. 

It would be the "same argument" if the purpose of buying Ricardo was for him to be the team's long-term winger.

Edited by NaijaFox

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Thats Not from Rodgers,but from within this Forum..

Plus as a manager out of the Top 4...squad rescources are limited,so a strength has to be to Jiggle formations...Survival as a coach/manager will rely on it..

So I find that last sentence off Track somewhat....

I have said it before...around both English & European leagues,there has been plenty of  players,who have moved from Left to right & back to Front in positions,at the same clubs & between clubs..

Often also the big clubs....FBs-WBs or tother way round,probably the most often. but also some FBs to Dms...successful Internationals a plenty..!!

• Like 1

On 04/10/2020 at 18:44, dayday said:

All I’m saying he doesn’t look comfortable at LB, that’s why like Face Cloth said switch Castagne to LB and Justin to RB, it’s definitely worth ago

...I am sure flitting from Left to Right having gone up a few levels in quality can't be easy!!!

Castagne states he wanted to come here as he wanted to play in one position only. If Castagne feels he needs to learn and progress his craft being maintained in one position then JJ needs to be allowed the chance to grow his own game. This is a massive job we are asking of him, to some extent set up to fail by the manager, replacing a current England Full Back with a player taken from League One and given intermittent games to cover cup matches.

As a description of his shortcomings previously posted then you would have to acknowledge that they are correct in their observance, the only caveat is, what did you expect?

On 06/10/2020 at 01:25, NaijaFox said:

Then he should have been playing at LB (even though I personally disagree that we necessarily need a left-footed LB).  

It would make sense to play him at RB if Justin is a natural LB, but otherwise it makes little logical sense as Justin has not proven to be a better LB than he was a RB. If anything, Justin has arguably been better playing as RB than he has been at LB (albeit I think he has been respectable at LB). 

You do what's best for the team, if he's better on the right than he is the left and the manager thinks Justin is fairly even in both positions, then you play him on the right for the time being, if that gets the best of him right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

and castagne is in an unfamiliar environment - maybe playing him on his favoured side whilst he finds his feet is good for him

add to that castagne gets forward more than JJ so having him on the same side as barnes is less of a good idea (i'm assuming someone already made this point )

Nah, Castagne does not get forward any more often than Justin.

It probably just seems so to some as it’s relatively easier to get balls and crosses into the opposition’s danger area when playing on the more ‘natural’ side, but Justin gets up to and beyond Barnes, all the way to the byline and/or into the opponent’s box, as relatively as often as Castagne does on the right side. Unless Castagne is ambidextrous with his feet (and there’s no indication that he is), he’s pretty much likely to ‘suffer’ the same fate as Justin currently does in first having to switch the ball to his right foot to get a ball or cross in or simply crossing less accurately with his weaker left foot, which could make a world of difference in a game of inches as top-flight football is. For instance, in practical terms, this could mean that Castagne would have been less likely to whip in the first time ball that led to Vardy’s exquisite second goal against Man City. 

Anyway, it’s Brendan‘s call and personally I have no substantive issues with it (especially if we keep winning more than we are not). Just seems a bit odd.

Edited by NaijaFox

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

and castagne is in an unfamiliar environment - maybe playing him on his favoured side whilst he finds his feet is good for him

add to that castagne gets forward more than JJ so having him on the same side as barnes is less of a good idea (i'm assuming someone already made this point )

Btw, having a left-back that gets forward often on the same side as Barnes is not “less of a good idea” (and I realize that several FTers believe that Barnes was supposedly less effective playing with Chilwell who gets forward often), as Barnes tends to come or cut inside with the ball. Accordingly, a LB that gets forward regularly affords Barnes the flexibility of a decoy when Barnes cuts inside or an outlet for a pass, to play quick one-twos or to put in a cross. That’s pretty much the same scenario likely to be happening on the right side when Ünder (who unlike Ayoze is expected to regularly come or cut inside with the ball) gets up to speed.

On 05/10/2020 at 16:54, fox_up_north said:

Fairly sure Timmy was always the LB replacement that can do a (very) good job at RB.

I thought it would be

20/21 - chillwell leaves and is replaced by Timmy

21/22 - Ricardo leaves, Timmy moves to RB and we get a LB replacement or JJ has improved enough

That way we don't get done over in the transfer market like we could have been this year when we're getting quoted silly money for a LB

This was always it. We bought Justin as a cheap backup and potential replacement to Ricardo and Chilwell. Then once we sold Chilwell, we didn't really want to replace him straight away because of how much we would be charged for a first team replacement, but we didn't think Justin was ready to replace him. So we signed Castagne, who would move flanks when Ricardo eventually leaves, which would buy us time to develop Justin and see if he would be better suited to starting as left back next season, so we wouldn't need to waste money on a Chilwell replacement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

This was always it. We bought Justin as a cheap backup and potential replacement to Ricardo and Chilwell. Then once we sold Chilwell, we didn't really want to replace him straight away because of how much we would be charged for a first team replacement, but we didn't think Justin was ready to replace him. So we signed Castagne, who would move flanks when Ricardo eventually leaves, which would buy us time to develop Justin and see if he would be better suited to starting as left back next season, so we wouldn't need to waste money on a Chilwell replacement.

Sounds plausible but where would that leave Thomas?  I would have thought that he would be the long term successor to the left back position?

3 hours ago, Sydney_Blue said:

A forum?! :P

Would be funny if it were a Gordon of morons (showing my age here)

lol

Brilliant.  Much better than my suggestions!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, murphy said:

Sounds plausible but where would that leave Thomas?  I would have thought that he would be the long term successor to the left back position?

He's promising, but still hasn't proven anything more than Justin imo asides much better crossing. Probably the club is thinking to develop him and see if he can force his way into the squad.

• Like 1

As you know I’m one of the people that defends our players the most and I like Justin, he definitely has potential but he probably isn’t quite up to the standard we need just now. And that isn’t a dig, and some people are going way OTT with their criticism but I would say we will look a lot better once Ricardo is back and he and Castagne are our FBs. X 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 02:40, NaijaFox said:

In other words, play the LESS capable (albeit not synonymous with incapable) player in their LESS natural position?

Frankly, if a right-footed RB Castagne is a better player than a right-footed RB Justin, then he is just as likely to be a better right-footed LB than Justin is. Accordingly, if the long-term plan is to have Castagne at LB, the sooner he gets situated thereat the better - unless of course it turns out that Justin is actually the better LB, in which case we have a different set of issues.

Meanwhile, that Castagne may well have arguably "played half his career" at LB is merely akin to Slimani having played all of his career as a striker or Silva having played as a midfielder. He still has to competently do so here at Leicester City, and the sooner the better if that's the long-term goal, especially as Justin has thus far NOT shown to be better at LB than at RB.

I think it's just a case of looking at who has the least drop off in performance on the less-favoured side. It might be the case that Castagne is 95% as good on the left as he is on the right, but Justin is 96% as good on the left as he is on the right. Then you only lose 4% total playing JJ on the left.

It could also be because Castagne is adapting to a new club, in a new league in a new country and is being eased in on his favoured side. It could also be because he is earmarked as the successor to Ricardo, and may only be our 1st choice left back from the point Ricardo is back until the summer.

17 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think it's just a case of looking at who has the least drop off in performance on the less-favoured side. It might be the case that Castagne is 95% as good on the left as he is on the right, but Justin is 96% as good on the left as he is on the right. Then you only lose 4% total playing JJ on the left.

It could also be because Castagne is adapting to a new club, in a new league in a new country and is being eased in on his favoured side. It could also be because he is earmarked as the successor to Ricardo, and may only be our 1st choice left back from the point Ricardo is back until the summer.

I’ve just read this whole thread to see whether anyone’s answered this question.

To me it’s obvious. We don’t have a right winger (or at least, we don’t play him). We do have a left winger in Barnes. So you really rely on the quick footwork and experience of your right back to give you width. So the better and more experienced player goes on the right.

• Like 1