Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Face Mask and Gloves

We have a new item on the dropped litter list.

Face masks and Rubber gloves

Not see any gloves yet but I saw 2 face masks today whilst out walking about 50 metres from a bin.

Seems like it's World Wide problem

Coronavirus: Used Masks, Gloves Pose Danger When Not Properly Discarded |  PEOPLE.com

Examples

It's just unbelievable': Anti-litter campaigner finds more than 50  discarded face masks in one day in Suffolk

50 in a day in Suffolk

Tourist beach littered with face masks as pandemic pollution is 'out of  control'

On the beach.

Coronavirus face masks: an environmental disaster that might last  generations

In the sea and rivers.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

55 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Disgraceful, absolutely despicable. This attitude of complete disregard and laziness for the world, the planet, human kind, that is so prevalent in all areas of human habitation will be another knock-on effect of this ****ing virus.

It grates on me in the same way that dog owners can't be arsed to take their little bags of dogshite to a bin, or even home, if necessary.

It's bizarre. They've done the hard part, picking up warm, gloopy, turd, but then just leave it for the crap fairy.

I don't think many people are deliberately just dropping them, but they do get caught on things in your pocket and fall out. I've done it myself pulled my wallet out my pocket and my mask fell out. obviously I noticed it and picked it up but I could easily have not noticed it.

I don't get why the average Joe just doesn't wear a reusable mask.

They're relatively cheap (you can even make them yourself if you don't want to buy one), they barely add anything to your laundry load, and they're way more environmentally friendly than disposables :dunno:

• Like 1

Exactly, I bought a pair of cloth masks for 15 quid. Better quality than disposable, they are washable, more environmentally friendly and I probably would have spent more on disposables by now.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

For spectacle wearers, the disposable ones with the metal strip over the nose are easier to use than reuseable cloth ones, which are more prone to make you fog up.

Also, I think people keep them in car doors, so if you open your car door in the wind, the loose flimsy ones could blow away if you don't pay attention.  Maybe that's why they are in car parks. :dunno:

That said, some people are unthinking filthpigs who don't deserve the wonderful planet they are sullying.

• Like 1

Virus is not thought to survive longer than a few days outside the body, so to me, so called single use masks ought to be able to be reused as long as they’re not too soiled by simply putting safely to one side (perhaps in a bucket for example) and reusing after sufficient time has elapsed.

This is not medical advice of course.

7 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Virus is not thought to survive longer than a few days outside the body, so to me, so called single use masks ought to be able to be reused as long as they’re not too soiled by simply putting safely to one side (perhaps in a bucket for example) and reusing after sufficient time has elapsed.

This is not medical advice of course.

That's what I do. I wear it in a shop for ten minutes I'm not going to throw it away. I bought a pack of disposable face masks so I could keep one in each coat/bag so I don't end up without one.