Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

City bid for 'new Alan Smith'

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

They're fairly local to me, amazes me they are as high up the pyramid as they are

Yeah, done superb last five years or so. Chairman is a genuine nice bloke, got a decent fortune but doesn’t flash it at the club. 

Lovely village too

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Really good player for us in those days.

Stayed till the end of the season to try and keep us up, failed, but he played well and gave his all. 

Got us a decent fee, went on to join an excellent side and won things. 

Things were different then and we either didn't have a lot of income or a board that wouldn't put their hands in their pockets. 

Don't blame him for leaving, our best players had to to achieve things and earn more. 

How things have changed for us👌💙

His voice is a bit annoying and he's quite pro Arsenal, but he seems a decent bloke and does speak well of us (apart from arsenal games) 

I'm taking about Alan Smith btw😄

Edited by Hollyfox

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Going regularly to Alvechurch, I actually highly doubt they have him on a contract. Fee is probably a gesture of good will. It actually help them sort out a new ground; they've had difficulties getting the funding fully sorted. 

Church have cleaned up a bit this summer on getting lads from WBA, Villa, Derby and Blues who've been released at Under 23 levels (helps when the chairman's lad is at West Brom). With COVID, clubs are less likely to hold onto players for additional years for development. Such players would normally fall into a League 1/2 clubs development squads but that's not happening this year. 

I suspect we got tipped off about him when he scored a hat-trick at Barwell. I spotted that he'd come down to watch his team-mates on Saturday when I went there.

The chances of him being contracted to Alvechurch especially in the current circumstances I should think are virtually nil. If a six-figure fee is correct that is a substantial gesture of goodwill.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sampson said:

I don't get why people jump on him and make sarcastic comments every time he's mentioned on here.

He's one of the best players we've ever had. His final season for us we were the biggest one-man team in the division. And we dropped down to a relegation battling Second Division side as soon as he left.

Because a computer game company recycles commentary from him?

On Sky, he's maybe not the most insightful, but he's really inoffensive and seems like a nice bloke?

He was a much better player for us than Heskey was for example, who seems to get worshipped on here?

I don't get it. He was fantastic for us and he's such a weird ex-player to hate.

Heskey helped save our club from going under so no comparison really.

15 hours ago, Sampson said:

I don't get why people jump on him and make sarcastic comments every time he's mentioned on here.

He's one of the best players we've ever had. His final season for us we were the biggest one-man team in the division. And we dropped down to a relegation battling Second Division side as soon as he left.

Because a computer game company recycles commentary from him?

On Sky, he's maybe not the most insightful, but he's really inoffensive and seems like a nice bloke?

He was a much better player for us than Heskey was for example, who seems to get worshipped on here?

I don't get it. He was fantastic for us and he's such a weird ex-player to hate.

He was a good player for us, but it’s quite simple really. He’s an ex LCFC player who never displays much love for us, but is right up the backside of anyone connected to Arsenal.

Rightly or wrongly football fans are a fickle bunch.

(... and to be fair he is very irritating on FIFA) 

Blasphemy aside, has there really never been a "new Alan Smith" already?

Was Alan Smith's style so unique it's taken this long for somebody to share similarities to his game?

Is he an old school centre forward? if so, is that style making a come back?

I can't help but think he's the "New New New New Alan Smith"

Although I can't see in the link any comparison to former hill runner and LCFC denier, Alan Smith.

Ahhhh, I see...Smudger actual was signed from Alvechurch....gotcha, I never knew that.

53 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

They probably didn't think he was good enough right now or couldn't see him ever being good enough.

A bit like when Sheffield Wednesday released Jamie Vardy.

The issue is that for every Jamie Vardy there are 5000 Ryan lofts 

I can’t stand Alan Smith for two reasons;

-desperate for us to lose vs Arsenal the year we won the league; and 

- dull and unimaginative commentary/punditry

In terms of the first point, given the opportunity we gave him you’d think he would at least want us to win our ‘fairytale’ season. His commentary the day Welbeck scored the late winner was a disgrace. I don’t feel any sense of loyalty or connection with him at all now. V good player for us, but it clearly didn’t mean much to him, so I’ll save my positivity for the likes of Lineker, Izzet, Emil, Walsh, Huth, Shinji Etc - people who display genuine affection for the club and city.

In terms of the second point I don’t find his take on things remotely insightful. I would far rather listen to lots of other pundits who offer much more in terms of tactical analysis or humour etc.

3 hours ago, TRAD-DAD said:

If i were alan Smith I would concentrate on mentioning I played for Leicester rather than Arsenal considering where the two clubs are nowadays.

There only 3 points behind us. Yes our standing with the elite is improving but to suggest we are bigger than Arsenal is stupid. 

• Sad 1

Alan Smiths entitled to his opinions und bias....

He was a Top Player for us,und thats what counts in my book...

Even on Monday he praised this Club ,the players nights Performance & Rodgers.

Immature mutterings over a players individual career ,where he won International acclaim and trophies,having more. bias leaning towards

Arsenal than ourselves are IMO selling this forum short...

I Dont like Arsenal ( The One Club I once hated) .but majority of their players over their History I have admired & respected.

listening to ex-players,reporting,commentary or punditary, gives the fans another insight & perspective,then we as the supporters/Listener

can Read between the lines...

On Smiths General commentary ,I find him pretty good,but can sometime  droll himself to the mundane, 

All Player-commentators have their Good points & drawbacks, any that played behind the foxes badge & performed,

just have more leeway in my eyes...

Edited by fuchsntf