Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

City bid for 'new Alan Smith'

https://www.footballinsider247.com/leicester-city-submit-bid-for-striker-let-go-by-west-brom/

After a successful trial, City have apparently made a bid for Jacob Wakeling, a Centre Forward at Alvechurch.  Described as potentially 'the new Alan Smith', if the bid is scuccessful, he will go straight into the Development squad.  He has already scored goals for City in PL2.  He was released by West Brom in the summer.

Edited by Outfox the Fox
  • Like 2

Going regularly to Alvechurch, I actually highly doubt they have him on a contract. Fee is probably a gesture of good will. It actually help them sort out a new ground; they've had difficulties getting the funding fully sorted. 

Church have cleaned up a bit this summer on getting lads from WBA, Villa, Derby and Blues who've been released at Under 23 levels (helps when the chairman's lad is at West Brom). With COVID, clubs are less likely to hold onto players for additional years for development. Such players would normally fall into a League 1/2 clubs development squads but that's not happening this year. 

I suspect we got tipped off about him when he scored a hat-trick at Barwell. I spotted that he'd come down to watch his team-mates on Saturday when I went there.

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

We should not scapegoat someone this early.!  Smith is funny in the old clips of him joking with Li eker

When Smith played for us, he was great.  It when an ex-player is so negatively disposed to the team and so fawning over Arsenal he moves quickly to arse status instead of demi-legend status.

Hope the new guy is as good on the pitch but shows more loyalty to the club.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Going regularly to Alvechurch, I actually highly doubt they have him on a contract. Fee is probably a gesture of good will. It actually help them sort out a new ground; they've had difficulties getting the funding fully sorted. 

Church have cleaned up a bit this summer on getting lads from WBA, Villa, Derby and Blues who've been released at Under 23 levels (helps when the chairman's lad is at West Brom). With COVID, clubs are less likely to hold onto players for additional years for development. Such players would normally fall into a League 1/2 clubs development squads but that's not happening this year. 

I suspect we got tipped off about him when he scored a hat-trick at Barwell. I spotted that he'd come down to watch his team-mates on Saturday when I went there.

They're fairly local to me, amazes me they are as high up the pyramid as they are

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I don't get why people jump on him and make sarcastic comments every time he's mentioned on here.

He's one of the best players we've ever had. His final season for us we were the biggest one-man team in the division. And we dropped down to a relegation battling Second Division side as soon as he left.

Because a computer game company recycles commentary from him?

On Sky, he's maybe not the most insightful, but he's really inoffensive and seems like a nice bloke?

He was a much better player for us than Heskey was for example, who seems to get worshipped on here?

I don't get it. He was fantastic for us and he's such a weird ex-player to hate.

Because when we play Arsenal he is so incredibly biased to Arsenal and it's as if he never played for us. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Because when we play Arsenal he is so incredibly biased to Arsenal and it's as if he never played for us. 

Thats the long and short of it, plus a lot of fans on here won't have seen him play for us. I didnt get to see him for us but funnily enough admired his exploits in 1990/91 when Arsenal won the league and I was Gazza and Lineker mad after Italia 90. So many players from that season and the highlights video that I wore out from watching will always bring me fond memories. Lee Chapman and Kerry Dixon were lethal that season too.

49 minutes ago, darko2k7 said:

Well rumour as it  he kept turning up at West Brom’s training ground, wearing the West Brom kit and taking West Brom’s money in wages. So in the end West Ham said enough is enough your taking the piss son! The next day they released him . 

True story 

Look, they're both inferior teams. All the same to me... :ph34r: