Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

14 hours ago, Milo said:

The Leicester accent is a real shocker. 🙉

For some reason, it reminded me of someone saying this on Leicester radio once on some advert many years ago now:..

"When eye gore ort, I like to go to ter Copt Ork."

(Meaning "When I go out, I like to go to the Copt Oak.")

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

Something endearing about the Leicester accent I think. Especially because, in my opinion, it’s pretty much the same for all of us, regardless of upbringing or wealth, status etc. I know people who grew up on council estates around Leicestershire and people who went to private school - the accent is exactly the same you can’t tell a difference whereas I think in other parts of the UK (Yorkshire and the South) you can.

Apart from Coalville (Co-Vill) - thats a totally different kettle of fish me duck.

Also not sure if this is the same for others who have moved away, but you can always tell a Leicester accent if you hear somebody on the TV or if you unknowingly speak to a stranger who is from Leicester. You can also tell it isn’t a Leicester accent if that makes sense, so you can often tell it’s Derby or Notts or Lincoln etc without knowing specifically which one, but you can always always tell if it’s Leicester. 

Edited by Manini

6 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Sorry, I'm not having that. 

I'm just not. 

Nah. 

It’s not quite northern, it’s flatter than Brummie, the grammar is all over the place (I went football last week).

It’s distinctive, but not in a good way, (me duck). 

17 hours ago, Milo said:

Nah. 

It’s not quite northern, it’s flatter than Brummie, the grammar is all over the place (I went football last week).

It’s distinctive, but not in a good way, (me duck). 

Ok, I get it may be an acquired taste.I just happen to like it, that's all. 

Often maligned, but I think it has a directness and - often - humour that appeal to me. 

Also, it's not widely known or mimicked, and that helps to avoid the kind of self-parody some more obvious accents seem to bring. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

To me Leicester, Nottingham and Derby don't sound that much different. Northampton on the other hand is a more significant change. They definitely sound more southern. 

Think that's the Viking influence. Leics, Notts and Derby were part of the Danelaw, whereas Northants wasn't. 

As you say, there's a big difference almost as soon as you cross the Northants border. 

15 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Think that's the Viking influence. Leics, Notts and Derby were part of the Danelaw, whereas Northants wasn't. 

As you say, there's a big difference almost as soon as you cross the Northants border. 

Does that mean that folk from Leics, Notts and Derby have Danish accents and folk from Northants have Norwegian accents? What I don't like are hybrid accents, such as those of Angela Lansbury and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Also, anyone who 'borrows' the same accent as the person they're talking to on phone is pretty weird. A colleague of mine used to go into broad Glaswegian whenever he spoke on the phone to anyone from that part of the world.

Edited by String fellow

To be quite honest, as a Scot, I struggle to tell the difference between most English accents. There are Exceptions like Scouse, Geordie, Bristolian (is that a word) and one or two others and I could probably place you from north or south if there was a gun to my head but thats about it. 

18 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

To me Leicester, Nottingham and Derby don't sound that much different. Northampton on the other hand is a more significant change. They definitely sound more southern. 

I can definatley here a more Northern (Yorkshire accent ) in Notts and Derby and even within Leicestershire, Coalville is quite different to Market Harborough !

We're holding this item at Leicester North DO. We’ve received a request not to deliver mail to the property your item is addressed to today. We'll attempt delivery as per the instructions we’ve received, which is usually on the next working day.

Anyone ever had this from the royal mail? 2 days running its said its being delivered only to end the day with this popping up. Odd. 

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

We're holding this item at Leicester North DO. We’ve received a request not to deliver mail to the property your item is addressed to today. We'll attempt delivery as per the instructions we’ve received, which is usually on the next working day.

Anyone ever had this from the royal mail? 2 days running its said its being delivered only to end the day with this popping up. Odd. 

Ask @Trav Le Bleu ? :)

9 hours ago, Innovindil said:

That sounds like a item that as an ' inflight request ', which means when the item is scanned at the office with a 'ready for delivery' scan, a message will pop-up on the PDA ( scanner) saying that a request as been made,  either by the sender or the recipient for the item to be delivered on a certain day, usually when someone is a home to receive it. It sounds like you haven't made a request to do this, so maybe another family member has , or the sender as made the request. If you're not expecting a parcel I can't really offer another explanation. I'm aware there is a couple of scams around at the minute , involving scammers saying they're holding items that require a fee & asking for bank details before you get the item delivered, they are saying they are from Royal Mail, but Royal Mail never ask for bank details so beware. As yours mentions Leicester North DO i would imagine it's genuine, because that is a real office.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 05:41, Milo said:

The Leicester accent is a real shocker. 🙉

For me (as a non Leicester person), its not shocking or awful, its just not that distinctive to my ear compared to up north, cockney or the west. How would most describe it? Very soft Birmingham influence combined with the home countries maybe?

On 11/03/2021 at 15:50, Foxy_Bear said:

To be quite honest, as a Scot, I struggle to tell the difference between most English accents. There are Exceptions like Scouse, Geordie, Bristolian (is that a word) and one or two others and I could probably place you from north or south if there was a gun to my head but thats about it. 

Game show potential

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, steve555 said:

That sounds like a item that as an ' inflight request ', which means when the item is scanned at the office with a 'ready for delivery' scan, a message will pop-up on the PDA ( scanner) saying that a request as been made,  either by the sender or the recipient for the item to be delivered on a certain day, usually when someone is a home to receive it. It sounds like you haven't made a request to do this, so maybe another family member has , or the sender as made the request. If you're not expecting a parcel I can't really offer another explanation. I'm aware there is a couple of scams around at the minute , involving scammers saying they're holding items that require a fee & asking for bank details before you get the item delivered, they are saying they are from Royal Mail, but Royal Mail never ask for bank details so beware. As yours mentions Leicester North DO i would imagine it's genuine, because that is a real office.

Cheers for the info. It's a delivery from amazon and I have the tracking number so its definitely mine. And haven't requested it on a specific day. Maybe the sender has I dunno. Hopefully it shows up soon. :D

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Cheers for the info. It's a delivery from amazon and I have the tracking number so its definitely mine. And haven't requested it on a specific day. Maybe the sender has I dunno. Hopefully it shows up soon. :D

Go to the Royal Mail track & trace site & put in the tracking no. , if it's definitely coming via Royal Mail that should tell you where in the system it is.

13 hours ago, Innovindil said:

What is it? Text? eMail? Card through door?

I'm assuming you haven't told RM to hold your mail.

Personally I've never heard of such a thing. Best thing would be to visit the DO or call it. Unfortunately I don't know the phone number, I'm not even sure if they're still on Loughborough Rd or in the Meridian, where most Leicester DOs have been relocated.

Sorry I can't help more.

Edit: just seen @steve555's post. Could be a glitch in the "in flight request" system.

Either way, I'd still contact the Delivery Office.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

6 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

What is it? Text? eMail? Card through door?

I'm assuming you haven't told RM to hold your mail.

Personally I've never heard of such a thing. Best thing would be to visit the DO or call it. Unfortunately I don't know the phone number, I'm not even sure if they're still on Loughborough Rd or in the Meridian, where most Leicester DOs have been relocated.

Sorry I can't help more.

That's the message that shows when I put the tracker number in. Not had anything through the door. Maybe my postie is sick? Someone at work suggested that. Might not have someone to cover the route. I dunno. 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

That's the message that shows when I put the tracker number in. Not had anything through the door. Maybe my postie is sick? Someone at work suggested that. Might not have someone to cover the route. I dunno. 

I doubt it, though we're definitely short-staffed at the moment, tracked parcels are prioritised at the cost of everything else. I think it would just show as failed delivery. I'd definitely contact the DO.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

5d92b3aa35623db5552f7160f6a47706.jpg

3d9ebc58e6ca971c78e063ddb7957d44.jpg

Saying the same thing it said past 2 days, will be delivered today :S

That seems strange, the fact that it's been scanned as ready for delivery for the last 3 days suggests there's no in-flight request on it, because that would show on the system. I'm guessing there's a shortage of staff due to sick etc. & that's why it's been scanned as a retention ( it doesn't get classed as a failure on the Royal Mail system if there's a retention scan). Like Trav Le Bleu says though tracks are  top priority & usually must go on the day they are scanned in. If it doesn't arrive today i'd give them a call or visit the office, if it's not too far from you, it's still on Loughborough Road.

• Thanks 1

Why do people who post inspirational Monday quotes like #mondaymotivation complete with pictures of themselves on the pretence they're doing it to inspire others. Just be honest, you're doing it for yourself and your own ego. It's a bizarre thing to do but then again I find the validation most people need from social media bizarre.

• Like 1