Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

30 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Impressive. I was born on the same day and year as Luka Modric, similar football abilities too.

That's a Coincidence,i have similar football skills to Andi Peters. 

International Womens Day today - get ready for countless companies and people to plaster how much they care about the cause over social media when most dont normally give a shit about womens right at any other point of the year.

Edited by Nalis

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

International Womens Day today - get ready for countless companies and people to plaster how much they care about the cause over social media when most dont normally give a shit about womens right at any other point of the year.

I like watching marketing campaigns backfire. The Burger King one is the winner today.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

I like watching marketing campaigns backfire. The Burger King one is the winner today.

I honestly think the people that run these accounts sometimes just want to see how far they can go lol

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Blows my mind that people on Facebook are still entertained by images that correspond with their names or DOBs.

“If your name is on here, you’ll be getting pregnant this year”. That sort of shite.

I'd like to agree with you but unfortunately I read on Facebook thay people born in March love that sort of thing

• Haha 1

Speaking about adverts, does anyone else get a bit paranoid when certain adverts pop up?

For example, my sister was raving to me about a book she was reading yesterday. Today she lent me the book. I'd never heard of it, researched it, or even heard of the author. Never googled him or interacted with anything he's ever done in any way. Browsing Facebook 20 minutes later, this appears:

1303393421_Screenshot2021-03-09at12_30_01.thumb.png.7372859bb143271b649b7611542d0255.png

It's not even just that, sometimes google autocorrects/finds the exact subject I'm looking for when searching for something/someone. The other day I was looking up an actress, typed in her first name and it autofilled in her surname. When I can think of at least another 10 people much more famous with that first name. It's happened with other subjects too.

Am I being paranoid or is that just really ****ing creepy?

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Speaking about adverts, does anyone else get a bit paranoid when certain adverts pop up?

For example, my sister was raving to me about a book she was reading yesterday. Today she lent me the book. I'd never heard of it, researched it, or even heard of the author. Never googled him or interacted with anything he's ever done in any way. Browsing Facebook 20 minutes later, this appears:

1303393421_Screenshot2021-03-09at12_30_01.thumb.png.7372859bb143271b649b7611542d0255.png

It's not even just that, sometimes google autocorrects/finds the exact subject I'm looking for when searching for something/someone. The other day I was looking up an actress, typed in her first name and it autofilled in her surname. When I can think of at least another 10 people much more famous with that first name. It's happened with other subjects too.

I was driving to work last year, was following a window company van. When i got to work an advert popped up for that company.

• Like 1

I'd never really considered it before, until it became more personal, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the growing obsession with True Crime Docs. I completely understand the enjoyment and interest in them, but the lack of closure that the victims families already have being opened up yet again and made the subject of a public gallery is a little unsympathetic and tactless. 

I guess it's perhaps down to the way in which it's approached. It can be done respectfully and in a public interest way, or it can a documentaries answer to the Daily Star. 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

You arent being paranoid, happens to me and a lot of others I know too. I had to do mess around with app settings a few months ago due to an upgrade gone wrong but the amount of apps that insist on access to your camera and microphone are insane, no logic to most needing access.

Its why I find the conspiracy theories about the covid vaccine baffling when the same people are carrying smartphones everywhere.

I’m speculating here, but this may be happening due to something called “graph databases”. The idea is to imagine entities such as yourself, your sister or this book as nodes, and then connections being formed between them every time there’s an interaction of some sort. So let’s then say you’ve had a lot of interaction with your sister online (reasonable assumption), and that she’s maybe been following the author (online, not irl) and his book online or specifically on social media (again reasonable if she’s raving about it to her friends and family). The graph database is then used by an algorithm to see that there’s a strong, short (two-strand) connection between you and this book, even though you’ve never searched for it yourself or had any specific interaction with it online, and therefore pops it up as “suggested for you”.

You could try it out by following something really random yourself and then seeing if it appears in your sister’s suggestions.

Not really what the point of your post was but I finished that book the other week and  it’s a good read. 

Has anyone retired abroad or is planning on retiring abroad? I’ve been looking into pensions etc, I wonder how much it would cost to fund a quite lifestyle post retirement. 

This country is as bland as a Malted Milk 

On 01/12/2020 at 13:31, Wymsey said:

What's more weird is seeing Forest, Derby shirts being warn in Leicester.

Honestly, I've never seen anyone in Leicester wearing a Derby shirt other than when we're playing Derby. In fact, I'd never personally met a Derby fan until I started working in Heanor. Probably why I don't really consider Derby so much of a rival (probably one for the unpopular opinions thread). 

8 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Aren't accents incredible? Especially how in some parts of the country you can drive for an hour a for people to sound similar but in some cases you can drive for twenty minutes and people will sound completely different. 

The Leicester accent is a real shocker. 🙉

• Like 2