Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jayfox26

When everyone is fit...

With the news that a few key players will be returning soon, what are peoples thoughts on our strongest team and formation if we had a fully fit squad? Before the season started, I'd have said the 1st 11 was pretty much nailed on, but we have seen some fantastic performances from the likes of Mendy, Praet and a few others who we may not have thought would be regular starters for us. 

For me I quite like the 3-4-3 wing back system we seem to have been playing and the thought of a back 3 of Fofana, Cags and Evans with Ricardo and Castagne as wing backs sounds awesome. But then we have Barnes, Under, Maddison, Tielemans, to fit in somewhere as Vardy would obviously be up top and Ndidi would play cdm which does seem harsh on Mendy but Ndidi is a monster. 

Kasper 

Fofana, Evans, Cags

Ricardo                            Castagne

Ndidi Tielemans/Madders

Under                                   Barnes

Vardy 

I cant see us having everyone available for too many games this season but is interesting to see what options we have at full strength 

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

If we're insistent on playing a back five then there's less need for the protection Ndidi gives, a better ball player in that position such as Mendy is more suitable for the way Rodgers wants us to play.

True and maybe we would revert back to the 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 type formation when we have everyone fit. The 5 at the  back seems to work against the top teams though 

Kasper

Fofana - Evans - Soyuncu

Ricardo                                      Castagne

Ndidi

Under - Tielemans - Barnes

Vardy 

It's interchangeable with Under and Barnes going out wider if need be. Tielemans can drop deep with Ndidi when we're in a defensive shape. Vardy still gets support. Ricardo and Castagne bombing down the wings and also giving support to attacks.

Or, if the game requires it, we go to a back 4...

Kasper

Ricardo - Fofana - Evans - Castagne

Ndidi

Maddison - Tielemans

Under - Vardy - Barnes

In any case, it's gonna be one of the best selection headaches to have.

More to the point, it actually helps us with depth on the bench and back-up options - Praet, Mendy, Iheanacho, Soyuncu to call upon if needed...

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Kasper

Fofana - Evans - Soyuncu

Ndidi

Vardy 

It's interchangeable with Under and Barnes going out wider if need be. Tielemans can drop deep with Ndidi when we're in a defensive shape. Vardy still gets support. Ricardo and Castagne bombing down the wings and also giving support to attacks.

Kasper

Ndidi

Maddison - Tielemans

Under - Vardy - Barnes

More to the point, it actually helps us with depth on the bench and back-up options - Praet, Mendy, Iheanacho, Soyuncu to call upon if needed...

This is frightening. Wow.

I think this season has shown how good our strength in depth is and that may be key to us doing something special this season. All teams will have injuries given the fixture schedule but those that have the best squad depth and can manage those injuries will flourish the most. 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Kasper

Fofana - Evans - Soyuncu

Ndidi

Vardy 

Kasper

Ndidi

Maddison - Tielemans

Under - Vardy - Barnes

I think that's the key and we showed against Arsenal and again tonight that our bench can be game changing. Bringing Under and Vardy on changed the game against Arsenal and Under and Madders helped us to regain composure tonight when we were under the cosh. Even Madders off the bench against Man City as well. Will be great to have so many options and if we do manage to get everyone fit and keep them fit, there is no reason we cant do well in both the league and UEL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Kasper

Fofana - Evans - Soyuncu

Ndidi

Vardy 

Kasper

Ndidi

Maddison - Tielemans

Under - Vardy - Barnes

Maybe I've just forgotten how good Wilf is and been dazzled by Mendy in his absence, but I'm not sure either of these is our best team.

I think Mendy and Tielemans with a 5 may actually be a better combination that either of those line-ups.

I suppose the freedom we will hopefully have when fit is that we can play with 4 at the back, Wilf/Mendy sitting and then Madders and Youri further forward against deeper lying teams where the back line needs less protection, and then go to a 5 with Mendy and Tielemans more central against teams where we're expecting to have less of the ball and play more compact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

As much as I agree our squad depth looks really great from last season and on paper, this squad is as good as we've ever had...

...but Vardy is still the one player we cannot replace and we're one Vardy injury from dropping back in the table.

Its true and it's not just his goals. It showed against Arsenal that 1st half when they played a high line and pressed us high up the pitch, our midfielders could not get on the ball and make things happen. As soon as he came on, Arsenal shat themselves and moved their defensive line back allowing Tielemans to get on the ball and eventually set up the winner via Under. Iheanacho isn't a bad player and is a decent option in the squad, but he cannot replicate Vardy. I'm not sure who can replicate him to be honest and it will be a tough job for our recruitment team to replace him.

2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

With the news that a few key players will be returning soon, what are peoples thoughts on our strongest team and formation if we had a fully fit squad? Before the season started, I'd have said the 1st 11 was pretty much nailed on, but we have seen some fantastic performances from the likes of Mendy, Praet and a few others who we may not have thought would be regular starters for us. 

For me I quite like the 3-4-3 wing back system we seem to have been playing and the thought of a back 3 of Fofana, Cags and Evans with Ricardo and Castagne as wing backs sounds awesome. But then we have Barnes, Under, Maddison, Tielemans, to fit in somewhere as Vardy would obviously be up top and Ndidi would play cdm which does seem harsh on Mendy but Ndidi is a monster. 

Kasper 

Fofana, Evans, Cags

Ricardo                            Castagne

Ndidi Tielemans/Madders

Under                                   Barnes

Vardy 

I cant see us having everyone available for too many games this season but is interesting to see what options we have at full strength 

As intelligent as Evans may be. Having the quicker CBs wider means they’re covering the slower one on the inside (usually into the penalty area). Having a quicker one in the middle means they cover towards the outside. Less last ditch challenges, more ability to stand up and force the attacker wide or force a shot from an unfavourable angle. 

I see why Evans might play central, I just don’t agree with it. It has positives which can help Cags and Fafs, but also has limitations than can cost us points. 

Under and ricardo on the same flank will make oppostion mangers shit themselves.

Plus if they try to mark them out the game you have castange and barnes on the other side.

Then if you try to mark them out who looks after Vardy? Not like before where everyone knew to just mark vardy and let the wingers have the ball knowing without Vardy we were useless at scoring. One of the major reasons we were shit at getting past counter attacking teams once mahrez left. In attack we were relying too much on our central players.

Then if you want to press higher to stop tielemans and maddison all of a sudden Vardy, Under, Barnes, Catstange and Ricardo all have space in behind. 

As long as the pressure doesn't get to them we can get top 4 with a fully fit squad. They all have the ability to get top 4.

Edited by Fightforever

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Unless Ndidi can improve his passing, Mendy has to play ahead of Ndidi. We are much better in keeping the ball and in transition forward because we have Mendy instead of Ndidi and because we now have Justin/Castagne instead of Chilwell. We cannot go back.

Then we might as well sell Ndidi to any of the top 6 teams? 

4 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Unless Ndidi can improve his passing, Mendy has to play ahead of Ndidi. We are much better in keeping the ball and in transition forward because we have Mendy instead of Ndidi and because we now have Justin/Castagne instead of Chilwell. We cannot go back.

Good problem to have, but as good as Mendy has been, a 100% match-fit Ndidi shades it. Different kind of player but makes the team better overall.

Edited by NaijaFox

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Good problem to have, but as good as Mendy has been, a 100% match-fit Ndidi shades it. Different kind of player but makes the team better overall.

Not for me. Mendy is better on the ball. See the way he takes the ball forward as well. I agree they are different kind of players but together they don't work.

I was a critic of Mendys, especially when he "re-signed", but he has really impressed me since coming in.