Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TrickyTrev Benjamin

Barrie pierpoint book

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

Anyone else order Barrie pierpoint book ? I’ve just got mine today and have to say anyone who followed city during the 90s it definitely brings back a lot of good memories. I’m quite surprised the club isn’t selling it in the shop to be honest. Think it be good with the retro shirts. 

Didn't he ;eave under a cloud, certainly fell out with MON.

Just now, davieG said:

Didn't he ;eave under a cloud, certainly fell out with MON.

He did indeed and that’s why I’m interested in his side of the story. You think, MON left 5 months after Barrie was booted out. Elsom gave Taylor silly money and the club nearly went under. What would of happened if the Gang of Four had stayed. 

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

He did indeed and that’s why I’m interested in his side of the story. You think, MON left 5 months after Barrie was booted out. Elsom gave Taylor silly money and the club nearly went under. What would of happened if the Gang of Four had stayed. 

We'll never know but from what I recall most fans blindly backed Mad Martin during the fall out so I don't think we really knew Bazza's side of the argument (or even cared as long as we kept our manager that had achieved God like status by that point). Didn't realise that he left 5 months later. Perhaps felt no loyalty to the club after the way he was lambasted in his early tenure (and he always wanted us to know that he never forgot). 

• Like 1

As a student, I wrote a letter to him, requesting an interview. He never replied. Neither did that former chairman that used to delight in shaking people's hands pre match at the foot of the Carling Stand like Jesus blessing his flock at the sermon on the mount. Tom Smeaton, wasn't it? Neither did Birch come to it...ended up talking to that bloke called Nev that did the community coaching initiative. 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I will take a look, thanks for the letting us know Barrie!

🤣 I just thought Leicester fans of a certain age would be interested in this story. I read pretty much every book on Leicester but never before as someone who held this high a position ever wrote a book. I’ve spoken to Barrie in the past and he definitely as a interesting story regarding Leicester city. I actually did tell him to write a book !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

We'll never know but from what I recall most fans blindly backed Mad Martin during the fall out so I don't think we really knew Bazza's side of the argument (or even cared as long as we kept our manager that had achieved God like status by that point). Didn't realise that he left 5 months later. Perhaps felt no loyalty to the club after the way he was lambasted in his early tenure (and he always wanted us to know that he never forgot). 

It was always gonna be hard to match the 5 seasons progress and MON knew this full well. The daggers he got at the start was well forgotten by the first League Cup triumph I reckon.

His stock was very high at this time and he felt had to make a move. Given our size we had done remarkably well.Had maxed out by 99/00 bar flukey form in late 2000. Heskey going was as good a time as any to bail out. GIven the historical ties his home area has to Celtic it was always gonna be impossible to turn it down.

It's a lot different to now when only the very elite clubs can take our personnel.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I know Mon got a fair bit of stick in his early days(certainly not from me) but our fans had, had a right shit time of it as I recall. 

Little left for his 1st love, whilst we were battling at the bottom of the prem after years of trying to get in there, we went down, Draper was sold as he was class(to villa) , McGee came in and we were quite a good side. 

McGee then pissed off to a club that was in the same division and not a lot better than us and made a lot of fans upset that the board couldn't keep him. 

MON came in and struggled to get a win, weirdly we won at McGee's, Wolves but mostly defeats and draws. 

Julian Joachim was sold (a fans favourite) and a journeyman Claridge and a Chelsea reserve (some unknown lad of Turkish origin) were brought in. 

Things were taking a while to click and fans were annoyed at what had happened at board level. 

We clicked, went up, Wolves stayed down, we stayed up, won a 1st trophy for 20 years, McGee continued to struggle, was sacked and vanished. 

I personally think MON has always made a bit of a meal of the Leicester thing, although I'm sure some of it was rather unpleasant but other managers have had shit. 

I was at the City ground, in the Utd end for THAT FA Cup match, when United beat Forest 1-0, Mark Robins and plenty of Utd wanted Fergie out and some were disappointed they won as it kept Fergie in a job😄

Apologies for any incorrect stuff, as I'm getting on a bit 😉😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

🤣 I just thought Leicester fans of a certain age would be interested in this story. I read pretty much every book on Leicester but never before as someone who held this high a position ever wrote a book. I’ve spoken to Barrie in the past and he definitely as a interesting story regarding Leicester city. I actually did tell him to write a book !

I'll support the cause, help bazza get some prezzies under tree, for the family and that, have you got a PayPal?

He used to write programme notes, most of it long forgotten from memory but one set stuck in the mind when he told off fans for swearing because a Mummy had complained that her little darling had heard some bad language at football (heaven forbid) which he wasn't used to at reserve games lol 

Loved that protest against the gang of four, as a nine-year-old at the time I hadn't had an experience of real anti-something sentiment. To be given a piece of card/ paper (can't remember which) to hold up was a great new adventure.

On 30/11/2020 at 14:15, Line-X said:

As a student, I wrote a letter to him, requesting an interview. He never replied. Neither did that former chairman that used to delight in shaking people's hands pre match at the foot of the Carling Stand like Jesus blessing his flock at the sermon on the mount. Tom Smeaton, wasn't it? Neither did Birch come to it...ended up talking to that bloke called Nev that did the community coaching initiative. 

Did you put your address in the letter?

2 hours ago, Corky said:

He used to write programme notes, most of it long forgotten from memory but one set stuck in the mind when he told off fans for swearing because a Mummy had complained that her little darling had heard some bad language at football (heaven forbid) which he wasn't used to at reserve games lol 

Loved that protest against the gang of four, as a nine-year-old at the time I hadn't had an experience of real anti-something sentiment. To be given a piece of card/ paper (can't remember which) to hold up was a great new adventure.

I was at that as kid too outside the carling stand. I remember it being pretty exciting too. Plenty of vitriol in the air.