Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

A post Vardy Leicester

I’ll countenance the doom mongering by saying we’ve actually got a decent chance of replacing him well. Firstly, Vardy has at least a couple of seasons left in him so we have time which is important. If we needed to replace him immediately we’ll have drawn up an exhaustive short list (hopefully).

That time allows us to track plenty of potential replacements, to be able to set aside some funds to build a war chest if it takes a big fee to get the right player and have him learn from Vardy to a degree too.

We also have an opportunity to get a more rounded player in. Vardy is arguably the most lethal finisher in the world but it’s not really his game to be involved in possession particularly. If we find a gem then we just might be able to add another string to our bow.

I’m not overly optimistic but we could be in a far worse position to replace him 

• Like 2

Thinking about it I don't think we'll ever give a player the chance anymore, like Vardy has had. Remember in his first season here, he didn't look up to it. We gave him a chance and NP even convinced him to stay and the rest is history but the point is it took time for Vardy to bed in here too. 

A new striker won't get that same chance in the PL and will be expected to just hit the ground running. It's kind of why I think it's too early to judge Iheanacho. He has shown glimpses of real quality and he may be able to put that together more consistently when he has more consistent game time. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, M0901 said:

Brendan will have an idea. He has to.

If your average football fan like us can see it, surely he can.

Who’s playing for Stockbridge Steels nowadays??? 😉

One of their strikers is Joe Lumsden, who is apparently 145 years old.

1991352658_Screenshot_20201228-175813_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.167b6d2acc545db1c01012e6663ef91e.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BigGibbo said:

I jest, but the fact we haven't even tried to sign an understudy to him since Iheanacho has me worried. We need someone worthwhile learning from him now.

How do you know we haven't tried? We more than likely probably have tried, but been knocked back because players don't want to waste a chunk of their career sitting on the bench waiting for Vardy to retire.

We have a very good starting XI, we need to now focus on squad depth, because as today proved, the backup players aren’t anywhere close to the standard of the starters. Better quality players in general will take the pressure off the main striker, when some of our usual starters are playing in behind Iheanacho he actually has a pretty solid goal record.

Edited by OadbyBlue

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

How do you know we haven't tried? We more than likely probably have tried, but been knocked back because players don't want to waste a chunk of their career sitting on the bench waiting for Vardy to retire.

If we've tried and failed that's as bad. We have a lot to offer a teenage/early twenties striker especially as Vardy is going to need more rest time going forward. They'll feature in 50% of games either starting or as a late substitute if they're good enough whilst learning from one of the best to ever do it and then will be the first choice striker for a top six club inside 3 years. If they can't sell that to a young talent then we need better/more staff involved in recruitment.

2 minutes ago, OadbyBlue said:

We have a very good starting XI, we need to now focus on squad depth, because as today proved, the backup players aren’t anywhere close to the standard of the starters. Better quality players in general will take the pressure off the main striker, when some of our usual starters are playing in behind Iheanacho he actually has a pretty solid goal record.

The result may cloud that judgement by some, Thomas, Mendy, Amartey did really well, Perez was ok, Choudary is young an though I have my doubts he may fully step up hes improving, the one key obvious one is when Vardy isn't playing, an from Nacho's performance today, as others have said think i'd prefer to give Perez a go. The squad is improving by giving these players a run out. I expect us to be shrewd as always where transfer dealings are concerned, to get a top striker in as going to be hard while Vardy's around, Perez or Barnes (striker) need to be tried if Vardy isn't playing.

Get a young striker to be Vardy’s understudy. 

Gently break him in to the 1st eleven giving him 30-50% of games, giving God a rest. 

Wait for him for miss chances that God would have buried. 

Boo him went he comes on as a sub/when he's subbed saying he's shite. 

Buy an established striker from somewhere like Portugal for shit loads and put him on a stupid contract and then struggle to shift him. 

1 minute ago, grumpy old git said:

Iheanacho is NOT the man to replace Vardy thats for sure, maybe a bid for someone like Jota in January would be a better option?

The guy who went to Liverpool?  :unsure:

23 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I’ll countenance the doom mongering by saying we’ve actually got a decent chance of replacing him well. Firstly, Vardy has at least a couple of seasons left in him so we have time which is important. If we needed to replace him immediately we’ll have drawn up an exhaustive short list (hopefully).

That time allows us to track plenty of potential replacements, to be able to set aside some funds to build a war chest if it takes a big fee to get the right player and have him learn from Vardy to a degree too.

We also have an opportunity to get a more rounded player in. Vardy is arguably the most lethal finisher in the world but it’s not really his game to be involved in possession particularly. If we find a gem then we just might be able to add another string to our bow.

I’m not overly optimistic but we could be in a far worse position to replace him 

I'd like us to get somebody bedded in before he calls it a day. Would make the transition far easier and the new player could shadow Vardy for a year or two whilst also stepping in for him when he needs resting 

The thought of relying on Iheanacho is terrifyng.

Would be amazed if it came to that though.

I think it'll be a similar scenario to when we had to manage life without Larsson (notice I never used the word replace), it took us a few goes to ge someone to come in and get anywhere near the output we needed and I think it'll be the same when Vardy hangs up his boots.

1 hour ago, SydenhamFox said:

How do we do the impossible? What’s the best plan?

Buy as similar player as we can get to the great man himself?

Smash our wage structure and try and get someone like Haaland?

Promote from within, eg, Play Barnes as a No.9?

What else?

Can I have some of what your smoking tonight please :P

54 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not even about Vardy retiring, we just need to prolong his career and that means resting him a little more and having a valid alternative we can use.

I agree with this. The smart thing to do is now sign someone who is an able deputy for him that you can trust in less important fixtures and in doing that you may get another 12-18 months out of him than you ordinarily would have.