Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

A post Vardy Leicester

We find a right winger who can score goals and stay fit, and then a striker with good hold-up play and link-up play first and foremost, someone like Watkins or Che Adams. That will give us a much more fluid front three/four which will not have to rely on the striker getting all the goals.

Right now the way we play is completely built around Vardy because he's one of our best three players and by far our best attacker, but he does have limitations (although his linkup and holdup is seemingly starting to improve, bringing others into the game has never been his strong point). Our wingers have to bring themselves into the game more often than not, which is not an easy ask, and why we have struggled to replace Mahrez.

Once he leaves/as we phase him out, we will see Leicester change how they play around their striker. I'm not too worried about our future without Vardy, I'm happy to enjoy him whilst he's around.

• Like 2

Also, I personally think unless we buy someone really, really young (like 18-20), we should absolutely wait until Vardy is nearly done. Or Vardy's replacement will suffer the same problems Iheanacho has had. I can guarantee you, had Vardy's career been cut short by some freak accident in 2018, Iheanacho would be a much, much better player than he is right now.

The modern game basically forces you to use one striker unless you get creative, which limits opportunities. It's very difficult to be a useful understudy striker when your senior is as good as Vardy. Man City literally bought the brightest young talent in Brazilian football and have had issues with Jesus coming in to replace Aguero. Do any of you know who Bayern have used as understudies to Lewandowski over the years? Spurs have only now, after years of needing somebody, got Vinicius to back up Kane, and they needed Mourinho and a new stadium to do it. 

The worst thing we could do right now is spend £20-30 million on a promising replacement to Vardy and then have him play second fiddle. We've already done that twice... If Iheanacho does leave, then we should look at it, but until then sinking more money into it isn't something we can afford, we aren't a club big enough to do it. 

• Like 4

Maybe we can get in the january transfer window as a short term gap then later we can look for a young long term prospect (a great summer signing would be Myron Boadu), a quality aged over 30 something striker, similar to a Giroud or Cavani. A player who is surplus to a top Spainish Italian or French club. Who we could bring on as a second half sub, preferably a south american .... a hardworking Uraguayian or Argentinian with a similar attitude to Vardy. Players who have come from por backgrounds tend to have abit of steel in them. Any suggestions?

16 hours ago, Foxy harry said:

Many good strikers evolve from a wing position. Especially ones who have the sort of build as Harvey. Could become a unit and has the sort of natural pace that's so hard to find. Also having come thru the academy is a perfect candidate for the "mr leicester city role" in a few years. Make him spend as much time with vardy as possible until vardy's day is done, and we may have our man.

Sadly I think if it worked out that way he'd be off to a bigger club before we see the best of him.

Guest Hansifüx

I guess that is out of question but I wish there was a chance we could get Werner? maybe even on loan ... he seems out of form and favour at Chelsea. Personally I think his playing style does not fit Chelsea but us. 

35 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Sadly I think if it worked out that way he'd be off to a bigger club before we see the best of him.

Theres always a bigger fish out there. I may be wrong but I believe that the club has more of a say in who comes and goes compared to when we were losing our top assets. I dont see it as a coincidence that the last 2 players who have been allowed to leave were arguably the weakest in our defence at the time, wonder if we are smartly pushing certain deals through over others. We have only ever let 1 starting player go each summer and I think the players understand that, bar mahrez has anybody else really kicked a fuss when not allowed to leave? Although a stunt in progression and we could still see a mass exodus. But we are certainly in a better position to keep our top players than we were after 2015/16

3 hours ago, adam95581 said:

I saw that Wolves are looking to take Jovic on loan in Jan. We should be all over something like that. Relatively risk free and gives us the chance to have a proper look at a forward who has proven ability but has lost his way 

Jovic isn't coming here to sit on the bench.

5 minutes ago, martyn said:

He’s played 208 minutes this season. With the Premier League, Europa League knockouts and FA Cup games there’s plenty of opportunities for more game time here. 

Plus, if Wolves are genuinely in for him, does he really stand any more chance of dislodging Jimenez than Vardy? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, martyn said:

I wouldn’t approach the pitch in that manner to be honest.

Hey Jovic, fancy twiddling your thumbs over here until Vardys legs have gone?

I very much doubt Ünder came here to sit on our bench, we will have told him if he takes his opportunities he will start, and he believes in his abilities.

19 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

He’s played 208 minutes this season. With the Premier League, Europa League knockouts and FA Cup games there’s plenty of opportunities for more game time here. 

Plus, if Wolves are genuinely in for him, does he really stand any more chance of dislodging Jimenez than Vardy? 

Jimenez isn't going to available for who knows how long. As such, he's pretty much guaranteed to start at Wolves.

If Jovic is going out on loan to put himself in the shop window, he'll need to go somewhere where he'll get guaranteed games. It's not just him, but his club who'll want that for him.

Yes we're in a few competitions, but he'll get very limited playing time here whilst Vardy is fit. Point is, there'll be far more enticing opportunities for Jovic elsewhere, either as a number 1 striker or as a backup at a bigger club than us.

Edited by martyn

The main problem we have is while Vardy is still here, fit and firing there is simply no usurping him, he'll start over 30 league games a season barring injury for at least the next 18 months, hopefully longer if his legs stay under him, who, of the adequate quality to replace him is going to come to Leicester to sit on the bench? Our only option as I see it is a kid from a lower league or below par foreign league who will be happy to be here and play 15 games a season while they develop then gradually phase Vardy out and the other player in. 

13 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

The main problem we have is while Vardy is still here, fit and firing there is simply no usurping him, he'll start over 30 league games a season barring injury for at least the next 18 months, hopefully longer if his legs stay under him, who, of the adequate quality to replace him is going to come to Leicester to sit on the bench? Our only option as I see it is a kid from a lower league or below par foreign league who will be happy to be here and play 15 games a season while they develop then gradually phase Vardy out and the other player in. 

Or, just like in Moneyball we tell Vardy he’s going to be phased out and shifted to being a very valued impact sub, whilst we bring in Haaland* for the good of the club. Being a professional, he’ll understand 😉 

*We can get him by offering him a starter place every week and showing him the new training ground. Who could resist that? It’s THE fantasy scenario for all of us dreaming of being a player. We’re literally offering him that. I’ve also heard he’s got a soft spot for Leicester and the thought of living in the county. 

Edited by SydenhamFox