Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

24 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

excuse my clumsiness .....of course it can be coached but the player has to take it in and also be able to put it into practice ....

nothing I’ve seen of Harvey up top has shown me that he is anywhere close to being ready to make that change ....

Ah, I understand what you mean and you are definately correct. 

I do believe though that he has the appropriate abilities to give him every chance. Very quick, powerful runner, huge work rate.... Like you said, wether he could pick up that cleverness and instinct as well as further improve his finishing (which has massively improved) and first touch, is yet to be seen. 

I personally think that with a bit of work, he could well be a very good Vardy replacement in the sense that he could be a Vardy lite. 

Guest StevieLynex
55 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Barnes doesn’t understand about making the runs that vards does - he doesn’t have the same instincts. Nor does he understand how to split defenders to avoid having to chase so hard when pressing.  Can that be coached?  Maybe, maybe not. 

Don't think Vardy had those attributes when he first arrived

7 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Don't think Vardy had those attributes when he first arrived

Disagree completely - he had all the instincts and abilities . He needed help to apply them at a much higher level.  Barnes doesn’t look to me to be a striker. Like I said, he may be able to learn them but coaching the cleverness bit is way easier than teaching attacking instincts and making those runs in and out 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Disagree completely - he had all the instincts and abilities . He needed help to apply them at a much higher level.  Barnes doesn’t look to me to be a striker. Like I said, he may be able to learn them but coaching the cleverness bit is way easier than teaching attacking instincts and making those runs in and out 

Vardy wasn’t exactly pulling up trees when he first arrived, as good as his record was in lower divisions. 

Barnes was scoring for fun at West Brom before he was recalled. 

Barnes looked like the better finisher yesterday (Vardy had an off day) and made plenty of incisive runs. No doubt that Barnes could be a deadly striker but for now he’s best making his terrorizing runs down the left side. 

I seem to remember someone else playing as a wide forward on the left side for a while... 😜

• Like 1

The way Barnes is coming along this season I wouldn't rule anything out. He could be the first 15+ goals per season winger since Mahrez if his confidence continues to grow. He is clearly learning a lot from playing with Vardy. I don't mind whether he is officially a winger or striker as long as he is scoring goals.

Edited by Edingleyfox

Guest StevieLynex
19 minutes ago, The_77 said:

Vardy wasn’t exactly pulling up trees when he first arrived, as good as his record was in lower divisions. 

Barnes was scoring for fun at West Brom before he was recalled. 

Barnes looked like the better finisher yesterday (Vardy had an off day) and made plenty of incisive runs. No doubt that Barnes could be a deadly striker but for now he’s best making his terrorizing runs down the left side. 

I seem to remember someone else playing as a wide forward on the left side for a while... 😜

Someone else started life as a right winger and then played down the middle

2 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Someone else started life as a right winger and then played down the middle

how natural a finisher was Henry when he was playing wide?  Your point is valid - players do develop ... I just haven’t seen much evidence of Harvey’s natural instincts as a striker in vardys mould ....

5 hours ago, Ashley said:

Same agent as Teriney(sp?) 

Same agency yeah, not sure if it's the same exact agent. I've said it a couple of times before but up until the last week Edouard never really had an agent in the truest sense of the word. It was a couple of his mates from where he grew up that 'represented' him, hence when we sgned him we managed to get him to sign a contract that was worth pennies, he's on less than 10k per week at the moment.

On 16/01/2021 at 13:10, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Looks like OE has downed tools for Celtic and the fans aren't happy

Edouard leaving is way down the list of things making the Celtic fans unhappy this season, if you've been following our season and seen the regular demo's outside the ground, statements from fans groups, etc you'll see what I mean.

On 15/01/2021 at 19:28, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Definitely has the talent to make it down here despite being a little off the boil this season, on another rung to that clown Morelos who gets a few on here stiff.

If he's happy to recognise his position in the squad and the numbers add up he'd be a very tidy addition.

I think he most definitely would, there's no real ego with him, he's really laid back and a real positive character in the squad by all accounts.

• Like 3

On 15/01/2021 at 17:11, gp96 said:

I've always thought Edouard seemed the best bet who was gettable. Ings probably the most likely to be similar to Vardy but age/injury record on top of there being no chance Southampton let him go for anything that isn't crazy money makes that one a non-starter.  One thing @Muzzy_Larsson can probably answer is that I've heard a few say Edouard struggles to play on his own up top is that true? 

Absoluely not true, most of his career he's played up front on his own. He played with Griffiths for a spell last season and linked up with him well but he's equally comfortable playing up front on his own.

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2021 at 17:16, deep blue said:

Muzzy, do you think there's any possibility that Edouard could have any lingering, long-term effects from COVID?

If we want to buy him but have any doubts about his capability to develop sufficiently with us, I guess it would make sense to try for a low basic price but bulk up with add-ons.

I definitely think it's had a longer term effect on him, he's lost a ton of weight since it like I said previously.

At the price he's going to be available at, circa £15m I imagine I reckon there'll be a number of clubs who'd take him off our hands at that price so you'd have to be careful about missing out.

Guest StevieLynex
11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he was deployed as a Left Winger by Wenger for Monaco!!!

I was referring to someone who played for us in the late seventies/eighties

29 minutes ago, barnacle said:

Just watch a montauge of him at Celtic, doesn't look that good, but can't think of a player that Brenden hasn't made a success of here so if he did come can we off-load ieanacho, choudhry and gray the other way?

Being that Rodgers managed him at Celtic I doubt we'd be in for him if Rodgers wasn't on board.