Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

1 hour ago, Kingleicester said:

Thinking the same, we’re is your ambition going to Celtic 

Those players would be lucky to make Celtics reserves.

They are a big team, remember.

Edited by gurru991
  • Like 1

The big questions are would he be happy being behind vardy? 

Would that affect his output like it has Iheanacho? 

Because some people on here will be mystified when Iheanacho is playing regularly and scoring a decent amount. Be it here or elsewhere. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The big questions are would he be happy being behind vardy? 

Would that affect his output like it has Iheanacho? 

Because some people on here will be mystified when Iheanacho is playing regularly and scoring a decent amount. Be it here or elsewhere. 

Well, he openly expressed an interest in Leicester in a recent interview.  And while I don't have hard info on his intelligence, I can't imagine he believes he'd be ahead of Vardy on the pecking order right away.

10 hours ago, KFS said:

Really like the look of him. Looks a great upgrade on Nacho.

Do people forget that hes currently playing in a league compared to lower end Championship/League 1.. lets wait to see how he does in PL first cause Benkovic is a good example of not being able to produce the same level performance.

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Do people forget that hes currently playing in a league compared to lower end Championship/League 1.. lets wait to see how he does in PL first cause Benkovic is a good example of not being able to produce the same level performance.

He's also playing against CL and UEL teams each season. Just because the SPL is top heavy doesn't mean it's not a competitive league too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

They probably also know Celtic and Rangers don't have the financial power to hold them there too long, either.

Look at someone like Dembele, goes to Celtic, gets to put himself in the shop window playing Champions League football and being the centre of attention at a club where he can build up his confidence scoring goals for fun in the SPL. When the interest then comes from Europe, Celtic are able to demand a maximum of twenty odd from Lyon for him and he gets to leave having done all of two years. Now he's moving to Atleti where he's got a serious chance of having a La Liga winners' medal at the end of the season while people on here are still pretending only shit players ever play in the SPL.

If he'd been playing for Palace or Newcastle or Villa or something instead of Celtic, they're going to want easily double that, they're going to try to hold on to him as long as possible because he's so important to their bid to stay in such a wealthy league, they're going to kick and drag their heels. I mean Watford wanted, what, 40m+ as a "**** off and go away" price tag for Deeney. Newcastle dragged 30m out of us for Perez, right? Yet we could probably big up Odsonne now for 15. If Dembele hadn't gone to Celtic when he did, instead of playing for Simeone right now he'd probably be playing for like Roy Hodgson scoring 3 goals a year from his 5 chances. 

Couldn't agree more. Our whole model, when it works well involves attracting players on the basis that if they stay here a couple of years and do well then it's a platforn to the riches of the EPL. It suits both the club and the player when this happens. Add in the fact we are a fairly big club (playing in a shit league) with regular 50-60k crowds, regular European football and Scotland is a decent stepping stone move for young players with potential who want regular football as they develop and try and make their way to the EPL.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They probably also know Celtic and Rangers don't have the financial power to hold them there too long, either.

Look at someone like Dembele, goes to Celtic, gets to put himself in the shop window playing Champions League football and being the centre of attention at a club where he can build up his confidence scoring goals for fun in the SPL. When the interest then comes from Europe, Celtic are able to demand a maximum of twenty odd from Lyon for him and he gets to leave having done all of two years. Now he's moving to Atleti where he's got a serious chance of having a La Liga winners' medal at the end of the season while people on here are still pretending only shit players ever play in the SPL.

If he'd been playing for Palace or Newcastle or Villa or something instead of Celtic, they're going to want easily double that, they're going to try to hold on to him as long as possible because he's so important to their bid to stay in such a wealthy league, they're going to kick and drag their heels. I mean Watford wanted, what, 40m+ as a "**** off and go away" price tag for Deeney. Newcastle dragged 30m out of us for Perez, right? Yet we could probably big up Odsonne now for 15. If Dembele hadn't gone to Celtic when he did, instead of playing for Simeone right now he'd probably be playing for like Roy Hodgson scoring 3 goals a year from his 5 chances. 

Yeah, bang on. I've said this before but signing for teams like Palace etc is very precarious. If you aren't exceptional and enough to get a top 4 club come and pay stupid money for you, then you are lumbered there. It's not a good career move to come to dog muck in the Prem, the clubs now have too much financial resource and it's very difficult to get a transfer after without being deliberately crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simoken said:

What an awful comparison.

Benkovic is highly thought of, believe me. His injuries he's been very unlucky with. 

Not to mention some of the quality to come out of the Scottish Leagues 🤦‍♂️

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Couldn't agree more. Our whole model, when it works well involves attracting players on the basis that if they stay here a couple of years and do well then it's a platforn to the riches of the EPL. It suits both the club and the player when this happens. Add in the fact we are a fairly big club (playing in a shit league) with regular 50-60k crowds, regular European football and Scotland is a decent stepping stone move for young players with potential who want regular football as they develop and try and make their way to the EPL.

When it comes to being something like a striker, as daft as it might sound, I also think there's genuine value in playing at a level where your team is going to utterly dominate while you're still pretty young.

Any skill in life is about practice, particularly something like football which is predominantly about a mixture of muscle memory and confidence. Some twenty year old forward rocks up at Celtic or at Rangers, he's going to have a lot of opportunity to refine his skill set in an environment with less pressure and more opportunity. A young striker coming through at Palace or Newcastle is going to get so few actual chances to strike at goal, to make runs, to get in to space in an attacking sense and it's going to curb his development.

I mean even just look at Iheanacho here, I genuinely think he'd be a better footballer today if he'd gone to sign for a club like Celtic, Copenhagen, Olympiacos, Ajax etc instead of rocking up here to sit on our bench, have his confidence rocked and see little by way of opportunity. Sure, he'd have been exposed to a higher level of football but that's not everything at a young age, else we'd never loan kids out.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

What an awful comparison.

Benkovic is highly thought of, believe me. His injuries he's been very unlucky with. 

Not to mention some of the quality to come out of the Scottish Leagues 🤦‍♂️

Agree thank heavens this isn’t FM.  If he hadn’t been so unlucky with injuries I think he would be in the starting eleven or at least third choice CB.

The more I think about this one, the more i'm really keen for it to happen.

Young enough to bide his time playing Vardy backup, but experienced enough to immediately slot in. I think Dembele would be a good measuring stick to compare how much further he could still develop too. (Interesting to hear any Celtic fan's comparison between the two).

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

When it comes to being something like a striker, as daft as it might sound, I also think there's genuine value in playing at a level where your team is going to utterly dominate while you're still pretty young.

Any skill in life is about practice, particularly something like football which is predominantly about a mixture of muscle memory and confidence. Some twenty year old forward rocks up at Celtic or at Rangers, he's going to have a lot of opportunity to refine his skill set in an environment with less pressure and more opportunity. A young striker coming through at Palace or Newcastle is going to get so few actual chances to strike at goal, to make runs, to get in to space in an attacking sense and it's going to curb his development.

I mean even just look at Iheanacho here, I genuinely think he'd be a better footballer today if he'd gone to sign for a club like Celtic, Copenhagen, Olympiacos, Ajax etc instead of rocking up here to sit on our bench, have his confidence rocked and see little by way of opportunity. Sure, he'd have been exposed to a higher level of football but that's not everything at a young age, else we'd never loan kids out.

Great post

👍
And however frustrated we may be about Kelechi you can bet he’s far more frustrated. 
There’s a decent player in there and I agree if he’d have had a couple or three season say at Celtic, I honestly think he’d be the type of player we were coveting now

I definitely think that many a young player effectively have their careers ruined (I know it might sound daft) due to their quest for riches. But I guess it’s ultimately about what they want. Do they want that 50k a week contract at a club where they’ll sit on the bench for months or do they actually want to play football week in week out earning 20k a week?

id have the latter I think, until I knew I was ready to make that bigger step up

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LVocey said:

The more I think about this one, the more i'm really keen for it to happen.

Young enough to bide his time playing Vardy backup, but experienced enough to immediately slot in. I think Dembele would be a good measuring stick to compare how much further he could still develop too. (Interesting to hear any Celtic fan's comparison between the two).

They're very different types of striker but based on what I've seen of both of them I'd say Edouard has every chance of reaching a similar level to Dembele if he keeps developing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

'I wanna be edouard' is a great chant. On this alone we should sign him.

Also the current French under 21 team is absolutely mustard - we should just try and sign the majority of them and the next 10 years will be golden.

Aside from his obvious fouling was impressed by diallo on Saturday.

lol good theory but I think it may cost a fair few quid that!

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Or regularly scoring against Milan etc

Or playing in a league where the refs let the defense kick the absolute shxt out of you.

Until you've watched the Scottish League Refs in action on a regular basis its hard to appreciate. Celtic(forum) had a topic called "The Honest Mistake Diaries" for a reason.

Edited by SO1

There seems to be a feeling that we simply play Vardy till his legs pack up one day. We need to have someone quality who will keep Vardy on his toes, who can come on and take the strain away. We absolutely need an option now where our 34 year old star striker isnt 100% we have someone who steps in and then takes possession of the shirt until form or injury suggests he cant. Vardy is arguably one of the clubs best ever, complete legendary status but he isnt 28 and we need to be equipped with more competition. 

1 hour ago, Blanchflower78 said:

There seems to be a feeling that we simply play Vardy till his legs pack up one day. We need to have someone quality who will keep Vardy on his toes, who can come on and take the strain away. We absolutely need an option now where our 34 year old star striker isnt 100% we have someone who steps in and then takes possession of the shirt until form or injury suggests he cant. Vardy is arguably one of the clubs best ever, complete legendary status but he isnt 28 and we need to be equipped with more competition. 

Bit worried Vardy's hip injury may be permanent, wonder if injections alone are keeping him going for 60 minutes. This is not sustainable, so think we need to act in this transfer window NOW or we fade away like last year.

Gerrimminnnnnnn.

10 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Bit worried Vardy's hip injury may be permanent, wonder if injections alone are keeping him going for 60 minutes. This is not sustainable, so think we need to act in this transfer window NOW or we fade away like last year.

Gerrimminnnnnnn.

This is going to be controversial but I’m still of the opinion that kelechi is the future. People have been very quick to right him off this season but with his limited play time we can’t really expect too much from him and when he has had a run of games, generally his goal to minute ratio is fantastic. Plus a lot has to be said for his character, you won’t find many players of his standing that will play the role he does at the club without throwing a hissy fit. I think kelechi has always been the long term vardy replacement and probably still is considered that. He’s just had to wait a bit longer than expected for his chance.