Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Swithland fox

Striker who could replace vardy

I think a lot of the ‘who’ will be determined by the speed of the integration plan. Vardy’s ongoing hip niggle might play a part in that, if we have European football again, next season. It would potentially open up more opportunities for x to play, making it a more appealing proposition than sitting on the bench watching JV. Surely by this time next year his body won’t allow him to play with the regularity he currently is? 🤷

Adam Armstrong looks a very similar player to Vardy whenever I've seen him. Plays on the shoulder, decent pace and great finisher. Can also play from the left which would give us some back-up to Barnes to begin with.

• Like 1

I think there is too much focus on any replacement being a replica of Vardy. We just need to make sure we sign a good striker, whether that is someone who plays in the exact same way or someone who has other attributes. Ok it needs to be someone who is mobile but that doesn't need to be the only requirement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sly said:

He’s 34 now, 4 goals in 21 games for Mansfield Town. 

We should thank Bristol City ever day for rejecting out £6,000,000 bid. 

:ph34r:

Remember that thread so well, had a few Bristol fans saying "We don't need your money, we're fooking massive and on the up".... well WHERE ARE THEY NOW EH? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think there is too much focus on any replacement being a replica of Vardy. We just need to make sure we sign a good striker, whether that is someone who plays in the exact same way or someone who has other attributes. Ok it needs to be someone who is mobile but that doesn't need to be the only requirement. 

Vardy is also an iconic talisman, the likes of which is likely to never come up again. He's our Eric Cantona / Thierry Henry / Alan Shearer in terms of off the field impact as well as on it.

We sold Riyad Mahrez but are probably a better team overall now through investing in better fullbacks and midfielders. If we had another winger that scores at the rate Barnes is going at then it should be possible to get a 15-20 goal a season striker to give us just as potent an attack, maybe even slightly better! However, I do think it will be very hard to find another 20 goal a season striker though, those are very hard to come by. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

43 goals in 215 La Liga games lol 

Playing as a striker, he's got 24 goals in 93. He's 26 as well so not like he's a kid.

Inaki Williams although quick and direct and a decent player overall is an appallingly bad finisher.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

Aaron Connolly is the most Vardy like forward i have seen for a long while, think he'd shine in a more forward position rather than playing behind Maupay

Tbh i thought Che Adams showed some decent qualities, some nice runs off the defenders shoulder, finishing and confidence maybe needs a bit of polishing

Was going to say decordova reid looks promising, but just realised he's already 27, so maybe not

You can't just go out and buy a player like Vardy, we got lucky when we signed a player who had the raw talent, skill, pace, knew that the point of him being there is to put that ball in the back of the net but, most importantly, aggression   You can't teach a kid that, especially if they go through an academy as that type of stuff is drilled out of them and it's almost the opposite where respect and attitude are the main attributes. All these players that get suggested will never replace Vardy as they have pedigree. To replace him, we need to get lucky again.

Edited by yorkie1999

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The latter has struggled at Lille this season. Seen him quite a few times and he's been guff.

Ye but I still think there's a player there. Could be wrong tho. In any case I doubt leicester could pull off signing him to be honest. Realistically replacing Vardy won't happen, in order to maintain our current quality, and progression as a club without him, we are most likely going to have to do something of a team redesign. Which I think is already happening, the inside forward model from the wings appears to me to be what we are aiming for at some point. Its been very successful in recent years, basically since ronaldo messi and Neymar happened, so honestly wouldn't surprise me if that's what we went for, given barnes' progression especially.

Edited by JamesfromlondonLCFC

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

Remember that thread so well, had a few Bristol fans saying "We don't need your money, we're fooking massive and on the up".... well WHERE ARE THEY NOW EH? 

There was a Bristol poster that used to call us 'Babbers' ......lol

This striker/replacing Vardy business I feel will need to be a marquee signing that will be expensive no matter what. I'd like us to bid £40mill+ on Fabio Silva if we are going to get anywhere near 100% of vardy's attributes. Granted that wolves spent £35mil on him in the summer, I'd still like us to test their resolve. Hes 18, has filled in for jiminez more than adequately and looks like he has the same movement and pace that vardy has so as to slot into his position. That leaves vardy's touteledge over the next 2 years. Any similar players to Silva that anyone can think of?