Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Swithland fox

Striker who could replace vardy

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Ideally our scouting network pulls off another blinder but Strikers seems to be the one area they struggle with.

Most clubs struggle to find good strikers, and usually wind up with just one star, just like us, that they try and keep for as long as possible also because they're hard to replace.  The advantage of richer clubs is that they can afford to pay for better back-ups.  The trick is to do what we're also now doing - getting more goals from elsewhere, so one player's form doesn't define the whole team.

The fact is, is that we're probably not willing to pay top money for a back-up atm., which limits our options (and is why we've got Nacho and Perez).  Replacing Vardy, however, means getting/finding a new player, which may mean spending big ££££ for a proven talent, or upgrading an existing player to become our new star striker, and they don't grow on trees, let alone one of Vardy's quality...  SO it probably will come down to whether or not it's easier to replace Vardy alone, or Barnes on the wing if played up front.

TBH, I really wouldn't mind seeing some full games with either Barnes or Perez up front for comparison, but I'm not sure we can afford that, now...

55 minutes ago, Tomassi said:

Danny Ings for me. It would be very hard for Southampton to turn down 40-45m with a player on his final year, and we will spend that on key positions (Teilemens, Fofana etc), especially as Ings is proven.

Tielemans and Fofana are much younger players who can earn us a good fee if/when we sell them. Fofana’s value has probably doubled just in the short time he’s been here, whereas Ings’s value would likely go down once he’s past 30. 

I reckon we should Kill this topic....

Vardy is what he is, in my 65+ years Nobody comes near him hes unique....Hes gave us ,our very own phenomenal  ..je ne sais quoi ethos..!!

K.Weller was something special, definitely  still underrated..!!   

But this guy,.....Not before, not then,Not since,Not now, Maybe Not again has he been in/on anybodies , Encounters of a 3rd kind, wild-dreams,

CBs nightmares..well off The graph, Radar or sonar..The whole phänomenal Animal Kingdom has not produced the like...

And definitiley totally Left the Leicester Scouts who invested in him gobsmacked,and wildly delerious in fits of not knowing to either laugh,cry or have orgasms.

We shouldnt Waste our time looking for a replacement...VardyII....

We just go out looking for  top Quality extraordinary-normal strikers who fits into our character/Ethos & Club spirit....

If they can give us half the ride, the future will be bright.....We have to accept the Celebrations will Never be the same....The eagle has landed...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

Tielemans and Fofana are much younger players who can earn us a good fee if/when we sell them. Fofana’s value has probably doubled just in the short time he’s been here, whereas Ings’s value would likely go down once he’s past 30. 

Yep but I'm not basing this on future value, but on key position. If we make the Champions League, 40m will be good value for a ready-made proven player who can give us 4-5 years service in his prime years, and may keep us at a level where we continue to make the top 4.

• Like 2

Just now, OhYesNdidi said:

Ings for me! Didn’t realise his contract runs out in 2022 so I guess he’ll cost £25-£30m? I’d rather get ings for that considering that’s what we paid for a ‘highly’ rated youngster in Iheanacho who isn’t good enough!

Probably £15-25m actually 

4 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Probably £15-25m actually 

Well that sounds all very reasonable but I'd be very surprised to get him for that - contract expiry in 2022 or not - for £15 million they'd be better off keeping him and him leaving on a free.

• Like 1

At first I thought "which champions league club would want Ings", but more I think about it the more I think there's a chance they might. Depending on the cost.

Man City have striker troubles, with Aguero's injuries, whether they'd want to spend big on a younger player (Haaland) or someone to act as cover I don't know. He would also help there homegrown quota. 

Man Utd are always in the market for a striker, Cavani on a short term deal and Martial isn't good enough. Again though they'll probably be looking at someone like Haaland. 

Spurs have Vinicius on loan but what's the point joining Spurs whilst Kane is there

Liverpool won't go back in for him, and Chelsea aren't looking likely to be a Champions League club next season. 

54 minutes ago, Nick said:

Well that sounds all very reasonable but I'd be very surprised to get him for that - contract expiry in 2022 or not - for £15 million they'd be better off keeping him and him leaving on a free.

Even at £30m he’d be a better buy than a 19/20 year old for £20/25m imo 

Ings doesn't work for me in all honesty.

Vardy at 29 was essentially 25.... Ings at 29 is exactly his age, and with his injuries you wouldn't be surprised to see him become a football league striker in his early 30's.

Vardy is a one off, there's no point signing a 29 year old to replace him. Has to be 24+ for me, someone with some experience but someone who can come in now and be patient to wait a season and a half to be number one choice.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tomassi said:

Yep but I'm not basing this on future value, but on key position. If we make the Champions League, 40m will be good value for a ready-made proven player who can give us 4-5 years service in his prime years, and may keep us at a level where we continue to make the top 4.

Yeah, I suppose a player like Ings doesn’t come around too often!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I reckon we should Kill this topic....

Vardy is what he is, in my 65+ years Nobody comes near him hes unique....Hes gave us ,our very own phenomenal  ..je ne sais quoi ethos..!!

K.Weller was something special, definitely  still underrated..!!   

But this guy,.....Not before, not then,Not since,Not now, Maybe Not again has he been in/on anybodies , Encounters of a 3rd kind, wild-dreams,

CBs nightmares..off The graph, Radar or sonar..The whole phänomenal Animal Kingdom has not produced the like...

And definitiley totally Left the Leicester Scouts who invested in him gobsmacked,and wildly delerious in fits of not knowing to either laugh,cry or have orgasms.

We shouldnt Waste our time looking for a replacement...VardyII....

We just go out looking for  top Quality extraordinary-normal strikers who fits into our character/Ethos & Club spirit....

If they can give us half the ride, the future will be bright.....We have to accept the Celebrations will Never be the same....The eagle has landed...

Absolutely spot on, he can't be replaced and it would be an unfair burden to place on any incoming striker. His last game for Leicester City, whenever that may be, will be like a day of mourning for something we are unlikely to see again. 

Being pragmatic though, we do have to plan and even if there was a ready made Vardy out there, we couldn't afford him. It's not their fault but Iheanacho and Perez are nothing near his standard or good enough as a main Premiership striker. However, lets be honest, there weren't many, including me, that were not really excited when Iheanacho signed. You couldn't blame our recruitment staff really for that one because it's always a risk and that one seemed well worth taking, sometimes it just doesn't work out for whatever reason. He could still have a great career elsewhere in a different system. By all accounts he's a very decent likeable player that trys hard.

Logically we have to try the same Vardy trick/risk again. Is Edouard the one? Who knows, but between our recruitment team and Rodgers who's actually worked with him then if they decided yes then it would be well worth a try. Jovic looks a great bet for me but could we get him and could he adapt to Premiership football, again a risk. It's always a risk and the chances of picking up another Vardy is almost non existent. Just let the next player however sink or swim on their own merits and not that of someone else's. 

While Vardy is still playing it probably doesn't matter who we bring in. Without regular playing time they will lose form and we will judge them on sub appearances and write them off. For now, we have options as good as any other teams backup options (bar maybe Chelsea with Giroud) which is mainly that if their good striker is out for a while they are struggling.

44 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

While Vardy is still playing it probably doesn't matter who we bring in. Without regular playing time they will lose form and we will judge them on sub appearances and write them off. For now, we have options as good as any other teams backup options (bar maybe Chelsea with Giroud) which is mainly that if their good striker is out for a while they are struggling.

Not for me - if we want to prolong Vardy's impact and quality we have to be able to rotate or rest him. The choice of who is critical for me and for me, we have already purchased who takes up some of the slack, its Perez operating as a Liverpool-esque pivot rather than a pound shop Vardy.

7 hours ago, Nick said:

They’d be plenty of competition for his signature, I think it would easily be north of £35m

• Like 1