Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Swithland fox

Striker who could replace vardy

So hear me out, there’s no doubt Vardy does a lot for this team and is iconic, but in terms of replacing Vardy perhaps people will notice he only has 5 open play goals this prem season; not to discount penalties entirely but you could argue someone else could’ve taken them instead. Other players like Barnes and Maddison have stepped up recently to take some of the burden away. So perhaps we’re starting to see how we’re gonna cope by spreading the goals out?

Which leads to my earlier suggestion, our replacement is Barnes!

2 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

So hear me out, there’s no doubt Vardy does a lot for this team and is iconic, but in terms of replacing Vardy perhaps people will notice he only has 5 open play goals this prem season; not to discount penalties entirely but you could argue someone else could’ve taken them instead. Other players like Barnes and Maddison have stepped up recently to take some of the burden away. So perhaps we’re starting to see how we’re gonna cope by spreading the goals out?

Which leads to my earlier suggestion, our replacement is Barnes!

I think the solution is, in theory at least, quite simple.

We get Vardy goals from elsewhere, which is pretty much what you said (And I agree) but rather than moving Barnes centrally (Is this what you were proposing?) he stays where he is, and the position Vardy plays becomes a pivot. Whoever plays there has the job of distributing the ball to one of the wide forwards, such as Barnes or (potentially) Cengiz.

This of course means the central role/striker (Lets call them a Perez) gets a lot less goals, but a huge amounts of assists.  :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

We get Vardy goals from elsewhere, which is pretty much what you said (And I agree) but rather than moving Barnes centrally (Is this what you were proposing?) he stays where he is, and the position Vardy plays becomes a pivot. Whoever plays there has the job of distributing the ball to one of the wide forwards, such as Barnes or (potentially) Cengiz.

This of course means the central role/striker (Lets call them a Perez) gets a lot less goals, but a huge amounts of assists.  :dunno:

Ultimately Barnes will benefit from whatever position he gets to play the most in, I think he could be a great striker with time but he’s already a great winger so there’s no rush whilst we still have Vardy.

in terms of a “Pivot” I think that’s definitely the way to go, similar to how Liverpool set up with Bobby F up top linking the play or how Real Madrid operated with Benzema. Admittedly I’m not sure about who we could aim for to fill that role in the long term. but I’ve always liked Yussuf Poulsen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

He's a talent for sure, and I'd like for us to go get him... but he would cost a fortune on a deal like that.

I'm not so sure, at his age it'd be a lot of money for a striker that is in all honesty a poor finisher who may not improve all that much in that sense, which I expect is why he's still at Bilbao. There are better more valuable options out there if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Essentially what Liverpool do? 

5 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Are we a champions league club then? He would be a brilliant shout, also difficult to see where he would go. Won't go back to Liverpool not good enough for City, won't go to spurs to play second fiddle. Maybe united.

I can’t see us paying the money.

52 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Yeah it's not really a typical Leicester signing is it. 

We do look at established PL players though. We signed Perez for 30m, Tarkowski heavily interested etc...

We may think we want a proven striker and find value in our other signings.

9 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

We do look at established PL players though. We signed Perez for 30m, Tarkowski heavily interested etc...

We may think we want a proven striker and find value in our other signings.

the thing is, vardys legs havent gone yet. he would essentially be signing knowing hes only gonna be first choice IF Vardys legs go, or he retires. Would he be willing to accept that in his prime? 

We won’t replace him effectively.

Best you can hope for is getting someone who can land somewhere in the region of 15-20 goals a season and Maddison and Barnes continue to develop into players who can contribute more and more statistically in the seasons leading up to his retirement. 

I do think we need to act pretty soon though, possibly in the summer, and whoever it is needs to be guaranteed and given some premier league game time next season as well as the cups as oppose to being an out and out under study. Ideally our scouting network pulls off another blinder but Strikers seems to be the one area they struggle with.

• Like 1

Danny Ings for me. It would be very hard for Southampton to turn down 40-45m with a player on his final year, and we will spend that on key positions (Teilemens, Fofana etc), especially as Ings is proven.

Edited by Tomassi