Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Swithland fox

Striker who could replace vardy

On 31/01/2021 at 20:26, Swithland fox said:

Think we need to start the   search now vardys still good for 3 seasons if used sparingly 

the club more than likely has a list of forward targets they would like to bring in in the summer

they couldnt bring them in this Jan window, since they are more than likely in the first team elsewhere and their clubs wouldnt sell and if they did it would be well over the odds

can imagine said forward will be off the like of player we have brought in of late, early 20's with loads of potential/sell on value too

5 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

The more I think about this, the more im amazed we've left it so long. Vards is well into his final straight and is one bad hammy twang away from the end game. I can only assume the club had hoped we already had the successor in place. Namely Nacho or Barnes. Because to not have a back up to a 34 year old striker is very odd.

I don’t think it’s odd. I do think it’s difficult though. When trying to replace a 20 goal per season striker, you have two options: 1) you buy young with the hope they’ll develop (Kelechi, Hurst etc.); or 2) You spend big on relatively proven player. We’ve tried option one and to date it hasn’t worked. The problem with option 2, that sort of player will not sign up to play second fiddle to Vardy. That’s the difficulty. Any player will know it’s going to be 2 years at least before they get the starting position and would be reluctant to sign up.

Best example I can think of is Ings. Leaving Liverpool, he would do so for a good team but with more guaranteed performances. Had we gone for him, naturally his thought process would be: do I stay at Liverpool and sit on the bench or do I go to Leicester - a good club that’s growing but ultimately sit on the bench for the foreseeable. Southampton look more appealing. 

Replacing Vardy before Vardy is ready to be replaced is always going to be difficult. We either wait it out and spend big when it’s a must. Or we do a Shilton/Banks scenario - replace the ageing  world class player with the younger, potentially world class player because in the long run it is the better option.

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t think it’s odd. I do think it’s difficult though. When trying to replace a 20 goal per season striker, you have two options: 1) you buy young with the hope they’ll develop (Kelechi, Hurst etc.); or 2) You spend big on relatively proven player. We’ve tried option one and to date it hasn’t worked. The problem with option 2, that sort of player will not sign up to play second fiddle to Vardy. That’s the difficulty. Any player will know it’s going to be 2 years at least before they get the starting position and would be reluctant to sign up.

Best example I can think of is Ings. Leaving Liverpool, he would do so for a good team but with more guaranteed performances. Had we gone for him, naturally his thought process would be: do I stay at Liverpool and sit on the bench or do I go to Leicester - a good club that’s growing but ultimately sit on the bench for the foreseeable. Southampton look more appealing. 

Replacing Vardy before Vardy is ready to be replaced is always going to be difficult. We either wait it out and spend big when it’s a must. Or we do a Shilton/Banks scenario - replace the ageing  world class player with the younger, potentially world class player because in the long run it is the better option.

You make a lot of sense mate. But 34 is 34. I'd have thought the plan would have kicked on by now. And of course we will never replace a Vards with a Vards. He's a one off.

18 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

You make a lot of sense mate. But 34 is 34. I'd have thought the plan would have kicked on by now. And of course we will never replace a Vards with a Vards. He's a one off.

Suspect we have been looking for quite some to be honest, and I would also guess we are being painfully thorough and careful. Although saying that, I would be surprised is this season has not further focused our thoughts.

I just hope it is the movement, aggression and endeavour we are looking to replace rather than the blunt distraction of his pace alone.

54 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

...Nacho was brought in to play alongside Vardy and Hirst came in as a prospect and has not forced Rodgers attention!!!

The Danny Ings conundrum would only have been resolved by playing as a two upfront, it would be the only way we could get him here. The downside of that will be losing the #10 role.

As we are now, with Vardy in the chair, how would be deal with a young 20 year old Vardy coming through our academy. Do we keep in on the bench and give him 15 minutes here and there, the occasional cup game against lower league teams and with him knowing that the end product in 18 months might just see him first choice up front. We were linked to a Turkish player Batuhan Kor who plays for Bursaspor who I feel could have slid into this position but we did not follow through at a price quoted at 3m Euros.

I felt in this window we just needed someone who could play the strikers role, Perez and Nacho are not natural and you need to understand the position and even a young 20 year old would have the understanding and knowhow of the movement required to play upfront.

https://youtu.be/iy1e6aHB0x4

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I've said on the striker thread there is only one name and that is Patrick Bamford a player who we linked with several years ago. If we don't get him Spurs or Southampton will

He's been a very mediocre journeyman player all his career until this one single season. One swallow doesn't make a summer, we've learnt that with Perez. I'd want to see another season under his belt before investing much for him.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Nacho was brought in to play alongside Vardy and Hirst came in as a prospect and has not forced Rodgers attention!!!

The Danny Ings conundrum would only have been resolved by playing as a two upfront, it would be the only way we could get him here. The downside of that will be losing the #10 role.

As we are now, with Vardy in the chair, how would be deal with a young 20 year old Vardy coming through our academy. Do we keep in on the bench and give him 15 minutes here and there, the occasional cup game against lower league teams and with him knowing that the end product in 18 months might just see him first choice up front. We were linked to a Turkish player Batuhan Kor who plays for Bursaspor who I feel could have slid into this position but we did not follow through at a price quoted at 3m Euros.

I felt in this window we just needed someone who could play the strikers role, Perez and Nacho are not natural and you need to understand the position and even a young 20 year old would have the understanding and knowhow of the movement required to play upfront.

https://youtu.be/iy1e6aHB0x4

I think this was the point that I was making. 

More and more surprised we didn't go for Che Adams when he was still at Birmingham. Looks a tidy player, still relatively young at 24, would have been happy to make appearances off the bench and play understudy to Vardy, was a Leicester boy too. Given that he went to Southampton, you'd think we could have gotten him if we'd wanted him.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2021 at 13:07, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I've said on the striker thread there is only one name and that is Patrick Bamford a player who we linked with several years ago. If we don't get him Spurs or Southampton will

Thought he was quite poor yesterday.

Often losing the ball after his first touch.

• Sad 1

Edouard for me in the summer.

And we can preserve Vardy for the next 2 years and use him for the big 6 games and the European games where we won’t have possession. Vardy is absolutely lethal when a team is dominating us with possession and we could pro long his career by only using him in games like this as long as he keeps his pace.

There's a certain Andrej Kramaric doing very well in the Bundesliga:

https://bulinews.com/news/7199/andrej-kramari-officially-bundesligas-greatest-croat-marksman

I know we won't even try to re-sign him, but if we had kept him and had only continued to be on loan, we might have the perfect replacement. He has looked good when I see him in the Bundesliga.