Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Brendan contemplating life without a Vardy around

Didn't realise Ings's contract situation. If he were interested, and if we were prepared to pay the money, he'd be about as ready made a replacement as we could get.

I know it doesn't fit the normal model of our transfers, but for a position as important as this it's be a no brainer imo.

• Like 3

Just now, David Hankey said:

Most of Ings goals have come in Championship football. Although he has international and Premiership experience he still has a long way to go to be anywhere near Vards.

Wow, that's a high bar. With no bad intention, I ask you who you think we need to get? I think it's really tough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

When Vards hangs his boots up it with be compared to Donald Trump today moving out of The White House...😎

Absolutely not. One is a joyful relief, akin to the stinky trash finally being disposed of and one will be a very sad day, with magnificent achievements to reflect on and an event of magnitude.

• Haha 1

I reckon we should sign someone this summer. Look at players 23 or under scoring goals in other leagues and bring them in to play second fiddle to Vards next season, they can learn from him for a year or so and then maybe the baton will be passed on. I think whoever it is needs to come in before Vards leaves though. Can't afford to have a rough transition. 

On 19/01/2021 at 15:23, pmcla26 said:

I’m not sure if we watch the same club but 

Barnes hasn’t scored 20 goals a season ever

£200k? No one is gonna come that cheap haha 

KDH is a central midfielder 

Maddison, another, who ain’t a striker 

Finally, how the fook were you in the youth team at 77 ;) :D 

...I  think he means in relation to his posting profile!!!

To be honest I'll never really understand the calls for Barnes to replace Vardy. Even if he does suddenly become a clinical finisher, surely he'd still be of more use out on the wing/playing in a more free role? We've been calling for our wingers to contribute more goals, and as soon as one starts to look like he might you want to shift him into a new, unfamiliar role? I'm not sure he has the positioning or hold-up play to replace Vardy. It just seems like it would take a lot to transform him into Vardy II and potentially backfire if he ultimately can't make the transition, when he could probably become his own player on the wing much easier, and would ultimately end up helping the team just as much. Keep in mind, we still would have to replace Vardy with a player of similar quality, just that this player would now be a left winger.

On 20/01/2021 at 10:54, shen said:

You literally just put a major reason as to why he will be a huge miss.

Even when Vardy doesn't score, he's one of the best tactical forwards and so important in the press and hence helping to create chances. I'd argue it's because of Vardy that Kelechi looks like a turtle out of possession. In most other teams, Iheanacho will look just fine and not out of place, but as we're accustomed to the constant movement, directing and roving from Vardy we're a bit spoilt.

Vardy is just the ultimate package of a clinical and prolific goal scorer and superb team player. Any replacement can maybe hit the same heights in one of those aspects, but not both realistically.

Nailed it...!:punk:

People who talk about JV not scoring any of our last 14 goals seem to be missing the point that either directly (assists) or indirectly (movement of the ball creating space and dragging defenders out of position), JV is nearly always involved in our goals in some way. The guy is rarely static when we are attacking and wherever he goes, defenders follow....and if they don't, they know what happens next!

So many parts to JVs on-field and off-field contribution to the team now that if we focus on trying to get "another jamie Vardy", we'll be searching for a very long time.....and it might not end well!

• Like 1

Ings would be a great replacement and before people start not every signing we make will have resale value. The majority of our signings will but I think personally that when it comes to replacing god we may replace with experience  rather than a younger player. Who knows what they have lined up though but what will be certain is that the scouting would already be well underway and the stats guys will be doing there thing. I’m sure Vardy will be involved though. Does our style of play over last few games and our reliance on goals being spread ... does it open the market up to another type of striker? Rather than a direct replacement which frankly we will never find, perhaps we look down a different approach. I Remember a rag linking us with DCL from the toffees. Obviously that may not have an inch of truth but could a player like that lead our line? Personally I’d love both Daka and the young lad from fleetwood ... I forgot his name max waterson?? 

We're seen as a rival to the big teams now, so, lets say tammy Abraham became available and we wanted him, I doubt Chelsea would sell to us. A mid table club would , quite rightly, demand top Dollar.

Our options to buy from would be a relegated club, a lower league club or abroad. Alternatively we could train up one of our own, but that's not easy either.

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

We're seen as a rival to the big teams now, so, lets say tammy Abraham became available and we wanted him, I doubt Chelsea would sell to us. A mid table club would , quite rightly, demand top Dollar.

Our options to buy from would be a relegated club, a lower league club or abroad. Alternatively we could train up one of our own, but that's not easy either.

Always thought Abrahams was massively over-rated from his youth team days. 

Watched him closely on Tuesday and thought he was awful.....poor in possession and poor out of possession with very limited movement. If i were in charge at Chelsea, i would definitely want to sell him to one of our rivals. :D

On a more serious note, what does concern me about the JV scenario is the fact that while our recruitment team since the Pearson era are without equal at identifying brilliant Defenders (Evans, Fofana, justin, pareira, Cyongu, Castaigne etc...) and have a very good record of identifying very good midfield players (with a few notable exceptions) , their success record of identifying forward/strikers is virtually Zero!

Appreciate there may be a number of factors at play here which may make it more difficult to sign/attract forwards but we all know finding a way forward after JV will be one of the biggest challenges we face over the next 2-3 years and the previous track record in this area is not great....for whatever reason?

I guess they only need to get it right Once so i'll keep my fingers crossed!

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Always thought Abrahams was massively over-rated from his youth team days. 

Watched him closely on Tuesday and thought he was awful.....poor in possession and poor out of possession with very limited movement. If i were in charge at Chelsea, i would definitely want to sell him to one of our rivals. :D

On a more serious note, what does concern me about the JV scenario is the fact that while our recruitment team since the Pearson era are without equal at identifying brilliant Defenders (Evans, Fofana, justin, pareira, Cyongu, Castaigne etc...) and have a very good record of identifying very good midfield players (with a few notable exceptions) , their success record of identifying forward/strikers is virtually Zero!

Appreciate there may be a number of factors at play here which may make it more difficult to sign/attract forwards but we all know finding a way forward after JV will be one of the biggest challenges we face over the next 2-3 years and the previous track record in this area is not great....for whatever reason?

I guess they only need to get it right Once so i'll keep my fingers crossed!

..you got caught up with his first name and his last didn't you!!!

• Haha 2

On 20/01/2021 at 11:29, Fightforever said:

Bring in Karlan Grant on the cheap imo. We can train him up to fill in his boots slowly. I will miss Vardy winding up opposition fans though. :( 

Wouldn't that be an essential ingredient of the training programme? Vardy would be a creative tutor.😏

Edited by deep blue
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Find this threads title a little strange. If Brendan, and the club at large, were not contemplating what life post Vardy meant, I would be staggered  lol

Maybe someone at the club might want some help and read through a forum full of unqualified and bored football fans.

2 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Maybe someone at the club might want some help and read through a forum full of unqualified and bored football fans.

This is an excellent point, you are correct, we must ensure we double our already sterling efforts and fill these pages with further half baked and ill informed knowledge at once (I know I already play my part)  :D

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is an excellent point, you are correct, we must ensure we double our already sterling efforts and fill these pages with further half baked and ill informed knowledge at once (I know I already play my part)  :D

I like how you've subliminally slipped this excellent suggestion in here...

• Thanks 1