Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Brendan contemplating life without a Vardy around

40 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You replace Vardy by getting a right winger and a striker who contribute goals, not just a replacement Striker. 

I think this is the right way to do it, Mahrez was irreplacable but we relied on his creativity too much, creativity is now spread around, we don't rely on one player and the opposition can't just stop one player, we're a better team as a whole.

• Like 2

I'd try and get the best striker available with pace and finishing ability for as much money as we could afford - in their prime and not a project. 

Or, someone who can link the play more and supplement that with another wide player who offers more of an attacking threat than Albrighton.

Edited by martyn

Admin are my posts going to a rubbish bin. There' 2 or 3 of us shouting BARNES . Are u bloody deeef as they say in Scotland. Fast carrying the ball, Cheap ,we've got him already. already scoring at 20 goals a season., knows the club and the way we play,loyal (i think), committed, well capable of imitating an enraged wasp when pressing especially if coached by Jamie. 

He'd love to see a 10 year career path mapped out on a plate. We could convert to playing Vardy, H Barnes ,and Jamie Madison up front without breaking stride IMO. Result if it worked out saving £200K X 2 and avoid the always risky business of bringing in strikers which very often injects sand into what was a smooth running machine. Eventually JV retires and we have HB and JM terrorising defences while we train up KDH , believe me that guy is a natural striker (I think--nothing's certain in football). I know we can afford £200K next year with the ECL champions funding but it would n't buy Barnes and Madison equivalents.

In the reserves we have to improvise especially at my age altho I'm not sure I'm the oldest reserve (I was the oldest in the Youth Team at 77). You first team guys are so pampered you don't see whats under your noses. Think what HB and JM  could be doing if they know they have to replace JV and receive a bit of additional coaching from JV.

You cannot replace a guy who cost £1m , made 2015/6 possible, hence made EFL, BR , and this season possible . Forget looking.I'm pretty sure BR knows this already . Must go ,my doctors want me to wear the tight jacket again.

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's just everything about him, he's a once in a generation player for a club, if not once in the entire history of the club. He's rags to riches, culminating in the most obscene achievement modern day sport has ever witnessed. Then he's backed it up with numerous seasons being one of, if not the best striker in the country. He's more iconic to us than Shearer was to Newcastle. 

Agreed, although I think he should probably be talked about in terms of the sport (or maybe all sport, for that matter), rather than just the club. Has there ever been anyone else like him in the world? I'm struggling to think of any.

9 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Agreed, although I think he should probably be talked about in terms of the sport (or maybe all sport, for that matter), rather than just the club. Has there ever been anyone else like him in the world? I'm struggling to think of any.

Nope, only in fiction, and we'll never see his like again.

He's a living, breathing Roy of the Rovers.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep this sort of configuration is more realistic. 20 goal a season strikers are exceptionally hard to come by. I think we've only really had 3 in our club history; Chandler, Lineker and Vardy. The first two also played when the league had more games to play and so more chances to score too.

It's not impossible we sign / develop another one at some point in the future, but because we aren't a club that can go and buy a ready made striker it's unlikely if not impossible that we replace a 20 goal a season striker with another one immediately. I think back to when Ferguson signed Van Persie to essentially win his last league title. We will never make that type of signing, IE player at their peak and already proven to be one of the best in the world and ready to go. 

Jack Lee, Arthur Rowley, Ernie Hine...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alan Frost said:

Admin are my posts going to a rubbish bin. There' 2 or 3 of us shouting BARNES . Are u bloody deeef as they say in Scotland. Fast carrying the ball, Cheap ,we've got him already. already scoring at 20 goals a season., knows the club and the way we play,loyal (i think), committed, well capable of imitating an enraged wasp when pressing especially if coached by Jamie. 

He'd love to see a 10 year career path mapped out on a plate. We could convert to playing Vardy, H Barnes ,and Jamie Madison up front without breaking stride IMO. Result if it worked out saving £200K X 2 and avoid the always risky business of bringing in strikers which very often injects sand into what was a smooth running machine. Eventually JV retires and we have HB and JM terrorising defences while we train up KDH , believe me that guy is a natural striker (I think--nothing's certain in football). I know we can afford £200K next year with the ECL champions funding but it would n't buy Barnes and Madison equivalents.

In the reserves we have to improvise especially at my age altho I'm not sure I'm the oldest reserve (I was the oldest in the Youth Team at 77). You first team guys are so pampered you don't see whats under your noses. Think what HB and JM  could be doing if they know they have to replace JV and receive a bit of additional coaching from JV.

You cannot replace a guy who cost £1m , made 2015/6 possible, hence made EFL, BR , and this season possible . Forget looking.I'm pretty sure BR knows this already . Must go ,my doctors want me to wear the tight jacket again.

Have a word with posters on the Chelsea pre-match. They're all panicking that Vardy won't start tonight, but of course we have Barnes....

Have to say I'm in their camp. Barnes is excellent, but we still need another striker.

• Like 1

No point trying to overthink it, just buy a good striker who we think will a) suit the way we want to play and b) complement the players we already have. Might cost a fair chunk but not as costly to us on the whole as trying in vain to find an exact replica or plugging the gap with wingers and midfielders

We’ll never replace him ever, not like for like as he’s a one off. As others have said we’ll have to adapt our style and find someone else, good in their own right but in different ways. No one is going to be able to just slot in and replace him and what he brings to this club. He’s the greatest player we’ve ever had in our history. X 

Edited by RumbleFox

4 minutes ago, KFS said:

If I read Barnes one more time I’m going to smash my head repeatedly into a wall.

Barnes is in good form and correctly playing in position. You need a striker to complement him and a decent RW.

Our fans obsession with pound shopping our way to filling gaps drives me mad. Ricardo isn’t a RW and Fofana isn’t a DM either before someone else burns my eyes with those suggestions.

Play round pegs in round holes and invest to plug gaps properly. 

Haha I love the rage, these suggestions make me feel the same way lol 

• Haha 1

I think the solution is, in theory at least, quite simple.

We get Vardy goals from elsewhere, which is pretty much what you said (And I agree) but rather than moving Barnes centrally (Is this what you were proposing?) he stays where he is, and the position Vardy plays becomes a pivot. Whoever plays there has the job of distributing the ball to one of the wide forwards, such as Barnes or (potentially) Cengiz.

This of course means the central role/striker (Lets call them a Perez) gets a lot less goals, but a huge amounts of assists.  :dunno:

WARNING This text was copied and pasted from yet another Vardy replacement thread

Edited by Dahnsouff

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's just everything about him, he's a once in a generation player for a club, if not once in the entire history of the club. He's rags to riches, culminating in the most obscene achievement modern day sport has ever witnessed. Then he's backed it up with numerous seasons being one of, if not the best striker in the country. He's more iconic to us than Shearer was to Newcastle. 

His head wasn't turned either when Arsenal came sniffing. Not sure we would see the same if one of the 'media top 6' came a calling for HB - which they will.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

At the moment,  JV doesn’t need replacing ...   :)

We do if Vardy keeps needing resting every few games due to a niggling injury, Iheanacho is ok against lower opposition but I wouldn’t have much faith in him leading the line consistently against the tougher defences.