Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Brendan contemplating life without a Vardy around

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's his talismanic presence on the pitch that's harder to replace. 

That's it for me. His quality will be hard enough to replicate but his presence is huge, that hard to define thing where everyone is lifted by him being there and the opposition become more nervous and on edge.

Before I start, Jamie Vardy is an absolute GOD and pretty much my favourite City player of all time. But surely we don't actually want a like-for-like replacement for him, in that we don't want to bring in another player who the whole side has to be built around? Vardy has been the heart and soul of this team for so long, but he's been so good at such a specific and narrow way of playing, that we haven't really been able to play any other way, and when he has been out for any amount of time we haven't looked like the same team. We are never going to find another player who does what he does, as well as he does, in a million years, so surely it would be more beneficial to find a more versatile striker that will give us more options in terms of how we play.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Twitcher said:

Never mind replacing him, we need another striker in this transfer window, if we are serious about competing in all three competitions.

He's limped off a couple of times lately, which is probably linked to an ongoing tweak he's referenced himself. 

Another quality striker and I think we can make a serious challenge on all three fronts.

I think without one, we probably just miss out on the cups and maybe finish fifth or sixth.

No disrespect to the other finishers at the club, but I think another natural goal scorer to play alongside/replace Vardy where necessary really takes us to the next level. Time to spend some cash and really make a statement.

Having said that about spending I contradict myself a little, and I think having a natural goal scoring instinct is probably more important than how much potential the player might have and the price tag.

Ideally a long term replacement, but if not, at least someone else in this window that can chip in with c.10 goals including important ones. 

Going expensive, I've no real idea. Going relatively cheap; Dwight Gayle....

If the implication is that Dwight Gayle will help us with an unlikely title push and cup run(s) that’s the funniest thing since playing Barry Hayles on the wing!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Barnes.

I think there’s something in this. He shares many of the same attributes - pace, directness. And is better in others - long shots etc. Needs to work on his tricky dickies and heading though. But we are unlikely to find a carbon copy, so why not adapt what we’ve got? 10 goals is that so far this season? Great return half way through the season for a young lad who plays on the wing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Ralph said in his press conference yesterday that Southampton may not be able to keep Ings beyong the summer. An option?

Yes he’s made no secret of the fact that he wants to play in Europe whilst he is at his peak.  Man U, Citeh, and Liverpool are all being linked ...  Spuds were interested in the summer but instead chose Vinicius as back to Kane instead.   And there lies the rub ...  he might be of interest to the top teams but only as back up ...  whilst we all know that JV is the main starter his ability to play in every match is diminishing ...  perhaps we could promise Ings at leat 50% of the total matches ...  giving him regular football and much needed rest time for JV.    Ings has sometimes been called injury prone but hasn’t had any major problems for 3 years now.   If we get European football, if we can afford him, and if Brendan sees him as someone he can work with ...    I’d definitely go for it.  

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1

Unless I've missed something, none of our last 14 goals were scored by Vardy. I know he does a lot of work off the ball to create goals for the team. But a big argument people have is that they don't know where our goals will come from after he's gone. I think we have shown the last 6 weeks that we'll be ok

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TiffToff88 said:

Unless I've missed something, none of our last 14 goals were scored by Vardy. I know he does a lot of work off the ball to create goals for the team. But a big argument people have is that they don't know where our goals will come from after he's gone. I think we have shown the last 6 weeks that we'll be ok

You literally just put a major reason as to why he will be a huge miss.

Even when Vardy doesn't score, he's one of the best tactical forwards and so important in the press and hence helping to create chances. I'd argue it's because of Vardy that Kelechi looks like a turtle out of possession. In most other teams, Iheanacho will look just fine and not out of place, but as we're accustomed to the constant movement, directing and roving from Vardy we're a bit spoilt.

Vardy is just the ultimate package of a clinical and prolific goal scorer and superb team player. Any replacement can maybe hit the same heights in one of those aspects, but not both realistically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I honestly think we don't 'replace' him. Think of some of the best players that teams have tried to 'replace'. 

You could easily say Liverpool haven't yet found a direct replacement for Luis Suarez, but moving toward a different style has made that concept redundant.

I honestly believe we will simply not rely on a main man as much as we did and delegate more to a forward line with quality rather than one individual.

Could be wrong though.....

Hopefully when the weather starts to warm up Vardy’s aches and pains will reduce, as he is getting on. He probably asks Rebecca whether she can ‘feel that draft?’ a few times each evening.

Realistically this is his last ‘full’ season for us so the club have to do something in the next few weeks or this summer.

I have faith in the club, apart from the rush of crap signings that immediately followed the title win, we have made pretty good choices in the last couple of years.

We’ll probably have to start thinking about replacing Kasper and Albrighton by the end of next season - the last vestiges of champions!