Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brentford 1-3 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Guest StevieLynex
2 hours ago, talking_goldfish said:

Amartey going out on loan to Brentford? Lots of chat with Thomas Frank after the final whistle.

As long as Toney comes the other way

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

What does Youri have to do to get MOTM. Never seems to get it despite more often than not being the best player on the pitch.

Impressed with the turnaround today. Felt we were too cautious in going in for 50/50s first half but in a game we might have lost back end of last year, we’re now so much more resolute. 

...awarded MOTM by Radio Leicester today!!!

Started well first half, failed to convert and our usual weakness saw us go a goal down. We have got to look at games such as this as just another game,(that is we treat these games like we are playing Liverpool) we need to be ruthless doesn't matter who is  in front of us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I think it was Hoddle that said, during commentary, the Brendan might put Nacho on "for his pace". lol

Hoddle doesn’t have a knowledge of the player as he doesn’t play for a “top six” team, sees he’s black and thinks... yeah he’s got to be fast.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Would expect the players will be staying in the training ground tonight. Otherwise Maddison is at the bottom of a hill half a mile out of Seagrave in a Lamborghini with its hazards on right now.

Perez tweeted them looking for their cars in the snow ....they stayed away last night ...I’m sure they will go home tonight. 

6 hours ago, TheStig said:

Big Dan probably spoke Danish with Frank........no big deal really. They know each of from the Danish league.

Pretty sure Dan doesn't speak Danish though. 

Frank was coaching FCK's main rivals Brøndby at the time, so that's where a possible connection is.

10 hours ago, BigGibbo said:

I was actually a season ticket holder for the championship relegation season and a couple either side of it. 😂 

It was mild hyperbole but the half was really f@cking bad. 

i was about to say... no way i’m having that with the length of time you’ve been a member on here lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mazarron fox said:

Whilst Mendy and Thomas were clearly not as good as their first team counterparts they are squad plays and they likewise improved second half.

We truly have some pathetic clowns on here that want to turn on the team or certain players for the slightest thing. We have a squad a bloody good squad and like all squads some players are better than others.

Luke Thomas, when called upon this season, has played at a consistently higher level than Chilwell did for the past two seasons. He's nineteen, but already displays a high level of consistency, flair, awareness and discipline. His interplay with Barnes and his confidence in getting upfield shine out. He's class.

While Mendy is no Wilf, it appears that Rodgers can rely on him to perform reliably and competently when called upon.

It's somewhat ironic to call others out for criticising players, in your view unfairly, whilst selecting two guys who were more competent than Amartey and Perez and certainly less careless than Tielemans is wont to be.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

The weight on the pass and where it is played relative to the receiving player and what we want to do has really improved under Brendan 

Not quite there yet but improving, agree. In fairness, we need to recognise the effort of Puel too. Often I hear commentators say on TV that Leicester used to be a counter attacking team and it was Rodgers who added possession based football to the team. Actually, Puel was the brave one who started this and let’s admit it it was ugly but he did make progress. (We are not really a counter attacking team anymore and when a punter still say that on TV now, I know he knows nothing about Leicester and he is still reading a script from 3 years ago).

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

Luke Thomas, when called upon this season, has played at a consistently higher level than Chilwell did for the past two seasons. He's nineteen, but already displays a high level of consistency, flair, awareness and discipline. His interplay with Barnes and his confidence in getting upfield shine out. He's class.

While Mendy is no Wilf, it appears that Rodgers can rely on him to perform reliably and competently when called upon.

It's somewhat ironic to call others out for criticising players, in your view unfairly, whilst selecting two guys who were more competent than Amartey and Perez and certainly less careless than Tielemans is wont to be.

The point I was making is that with all the matches we have we need a competitive squad and in my opinion we have exactly that. What irks me is after 45 mins of football some people are calling our team a  disgrace and want 5 or 6 of the squad selling. If you think those peoples views deserve merit then we will have to agree to differ.

From Brentford

Glenn’s twoddle ruins an otherwise wonderful afternoon of football.

2https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2021/01/25/glenns-twoddle-ruins-an-otherwise-wonderful-afternoon-of-football/5JAN

Glenn’s twoddle ruins an otherwise wonderful afternoon of football.

The losing I can take. First and foremost, congratulations to Leicester City. Worthy winners in the FA Cup fourth round with plenty of gas in the tank to really take things to the next level when they were needed the second half. For forty five minutes Brentford had it in our grasp but, as with Swansea City a few season back, the half time cuppas worked wonders and a 1-0 lead dissolved quicker than the snow which had carpeted the pitch prior to kick off. That weather suggesting we may need to crack out the orange ball and the extra long studs. Alas not. We were stuck with the yellow variant  (ball, not snow) and the possible leveller of inclement conditions disappeared as quickly as it had arrived. As did our cup dreams. Next up, a game with Brighton for the Foxes. For Brentford, we are now free to concentrate on the league (sorry, I’m too tired ) and that starts on Wednesday evening at the Liberty Stadium where there’s that huge showdown with second placed Swansea.

As for the cup, well Thomas mixed things up as predicted. A team that included Mads Roerslev and Fin Stevens at full backs along with Jan Zamburek in midfield took an early lead against equally changed opponents. Mads Bech Sørensen on hand to stab home a corner after just 6 minutes had passed. Dreamland for Brentford. A nightmare for Leicester City who, despite the lion’s share of first half possession can perhaps count themselves lucky to have only gone in one down based on chances created. Then again, with the Bees defence being stretched in the build up and Ethan Pinnock having to pull us together, the warning signs were there. Sure enough, the inevitable happened.

Ünder restored parity in, err, less than a minute. Perez cam close and again. Then Fosu was was adjudged to have tripped up Tielemans in the box. He picked himself up and there was no mistake from the spot. Within the space of six short minutes the lead had changed and Leicester were in the driving seat. Any hope of salvaging something was put paid to by James Maddison leaving us to play out the last tweet minutes or so two goals down and against a team who only got stronger as their bench players came on for a run out. Game over, man. Game over.  Well played Leicester City – they really did look strong and what a way to step it up when needed. Good luck Brighton in the next round.

For Brentford, it had looked so good for a while but in the end was too much of a mountain to climb. No complaints, on pitch. We’ve more than had our share of fun in the cups this season. Of testing ourselves against opposition from the higher division. Off it, we had one major problem. That of Glenn Hoddle. My word, he spouts guff. The most annoying thing from BT since they replaced Busby with the ‘flatmates’. The flatmates that , I’m pretty sure from memory, used identity fraud as means of promoting the internet when the Simon ‘character’ tried online dating…. “He’s reeling one in“.

bt-flatmates.png?w=541 The BT flatmates. Remember them? Hopefully not.

What a load of clichéd nonsense that man spouts. Glenn, rather than Simon. (ahh, hello Mr. Pot. Irony is alive and well on these pages).  Amongst other things we discovered, several times, that :

Jamie Vardy isn’t playing.

It had been snowing (and there was still some on the pitch).

Brentford have beaten four Premier league teams this season.

Brentford lost to Spurs in the league cup semi-final.

We do clever recruitment.

We might have been playing this as a league match had it not been for something last season.

Both sides like playing decent football.

Yet the coup de grâce was saved for the fact that Brentford were, apparently, taking a risk by pushing up at set pieces. If Glenn mentioned it once he mentioned it a hundred times. In the end, domestic salvation came from our Harry. He’s only 7(seven) but still knows when enough is enough. 

Glenn: Brentford taking a risk here. If Jamie Vardy was playing….

Harry : but he isn’t.

And with that, sanity was restored. Kind of. We’re out of the cup but no tears here. The quest for the W place in North London has been fun whilst it lasted but is now over. Let’s hope we don’t need to make a third attempt later on in the campaign. Getting three points as Swansea on Wednesday would be a huge step in that journey. It won’t be easy but I can’t wait to find out how we go…..

Nick Bruzon 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I thought we just struggled to get used to the playing conditions in the first half. Brilliant second half as the conditions got better and the ball seemed to move more easily, or perhaps we just got used to the pitch. Brentford seemed to adapt much faster.

Funny in the first half after Maddison had taken a couple of corners that failed to beat the first man, he took the third one short to another player whose cross again failed to beat the first man lol

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Regarding what sort of team Potter decides to put out I'm convinced he pulls names out of a hat pre match .

We have a thread on this very matter on our forum where you score points for trying to pick a Potter line up , it's ridiculously hard to get more than 6 correct .

We're in the relegation mix but it just doesn't feel we are likely to go down because of how we are playing,  which in the main is very good , we just can't convert the chances , of which on average we have 4 clear cut chances to score per game ! .

Potter will field a strong line up but we've actually struggled to get past Newport and Blackpool, the latter only really beaten by a completely flukey goal .

It seems the Premier league managers are taking the Cup more seriously this season looking at the line ups for the 3rd and 4th round matches .

The fringe players all seem of a excellent standard at all clubs bar Newcastle who look destined for the Championship. 

I'm not that hopeful we can beat you but I'm pretty sure Potter will take this one as if it were a league game and put out a first team 11 .

No doubt our nemesis Vardy will be fit and raring to go by the time we play , one good thing for us is on average Welbeck and Llanna play every 6 weeks after picking up their usual injuries and the game comes on week 7 after their last appearance,  quality players but so injury prone .

Watched your game yesterday and was impressed with Under , not seen play before , the defending from set pieces looks like the chink in your armour , very similar to how we don't defend them properly. 

Should be a interesting game just a shame that there won't be any tin foil replica FA Cups to spot in the stands  .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1